• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So apparently gay people don't exist according to this right-wing nut

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't understand how you can just deny the existence of sexual preference, but also of those people themselves lol. I hope she meant that the labels don't exist and that there is no such thing as BEING GAY, or BEING STRAIGHT, and nothing in between, but she probably didn't mean that lol. Unfortunately.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Who is Linda Harvey? Probably doesn't exist. I don't believe in trolls.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    You're misunderstanding her. She's trying to say that we shouldn't have to pay respect to LGBT children because it singles them out for special treatment on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity. Being treated equally means receiving the same amount of respect that everyone else receives, not more respect. That's unequal treatment.

I also fail to see what in that article identifies her as right-wing. Nothing tells us her political preference.
    Valid point you make here. A lot of people fighting for "equality" are truly just fighting for the upper-hand. All I want really is the right to marriage. No, not a civil partnership, a marriage. Husband & Husband.

The solution for that is enacting strict rules against intentional bullying. Singling LGBT children out only sends the message that they are weak, fragile, sensitive, etc. and should be handled with care. It makes them look inferior to heterosexuals.
    That is also true. But right now, they are weak. If they were strong, then they wouldn't be the cause to their own genocide. (You know, the suicides and whatnot.) Not everyone is weak, and the community as a whole is strong, but many many many individuals are weak. So, if you are only as strong as your weakest player, then the community as a whole is weak until it can make those who are weak among them strong. If that makes sense.

Years
    The solution for that is enacting strict rules against intentional bullying. Singling LGBT children out only sends the message that they are weak, fragile, sensitive, etc. and should be handled with care. It makes them look inferior to heterosexuals.
    But there is a difference among motivations for bullying. A bully who is just a bad egg and picks on people needs to be dealt with as you would deal with a bully, but one who bullies with the support of anti-gay feelings from large segments of society (like, say, from family members) requires more than just a talking to and a time-out. That doesn't address some of the reasons for the bullying in the first place and if you don't address all the underlying issues you're more likely to see that kind of bullying repeat itself.

If you think trying to address specifically anti-gay bullying makes queer kids look weak then that's your view. I think it shows that queer kids have support against disproportionately higher amounts of bullying and nothing more.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    But there is a difference among motivations for bullying. A bully who is just a bad egg and picks on people needs to be dealt with as you would deal with a bully, but one who bullies with the support of anti-gay feelings from large segments of society (like, say, from family members) requires more than just a talking to and a time-out. That doesn't address some of the reasons for the bullying in the first place and if you don't address all the underlying issues you're more likely to see that kind of bullying repeat itself.

If you think trying to address specifically anti-gay bullying makes queer kids look weak then that's your view. I think it shows that queer kids have support against disproportionately higher amounts of bullying and nothing more.

I was raised to stick up for myself and not rely on others for help. In my culture, I'd be viewed as weak if I did that.

Seriously bullying can legally be dealt with by expelling the student if they have been warned and give smaller sanctions multiple times before, as well as criminal and civil penalties. What parents decide to teach their children is within their own discretion.

Years
    Bullying is getting a bit off topic here.

And asking for help is not weakness. If you honestly believe that, you need your priorities re-examined.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I think what this unfortunately radical Christian woman was trying to say is that homosexuality is a lifestyle, and 'homosexual' is an adjective for a person's lifestyle rather than a person. The problem with this is that an adjective that describes a lifestyle is also an adjective that describes a person. Because a description of a 'lifestyle' is a description of how one lives their lives. A person's life reflects a person itself. You cannot live a homosexual lifestyle if you are not a homosexual person. Can you live a vegan lifestyle if you're not a vegan?

So far, one month of Critical Thinking classes is telling me that her argument is complete crap anyways, so I just guessed what she probably intended to say.

So if you're bi do you only half exist?

Schrodinger's cat was bi! Eureka!

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
    Wha-...huh? So, is she saying that . . . rather than being attracted to members of the same gender, people who "claim" to be gay are just . . . pretending to be attracted to members of the same gender? I don't really . . . I can't wrap my mind around this. Because it makes no sense.

Is she saying homosexuality is just another myth made up by the left to scare people?
    Amurrica!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I have suspected this for years, and now I have solid proof. Homosexuality is just another conspiracy theory to overthrow the government and promote global terrorism. Linda Harvey, the voice of the people.

Of course, it says so in my Bible right here. They will bring ruin to the world! In fact, I think that it was an experiment to stop verpopulation, but went terribly wrong. I guess I'm right now.

guise i don't exist
    Like, I'm like all the other fictional people.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    The bible? I think that was the name of the book that had all my favorite bedtime stories in it.

Nothing agenst right wing nut's. They are extremely useful. After all, don't want the right wing of a airplane to break off when its flying eh? Airplanes use rivets you say? Um... Quit finding flaws in my otherwise perfect logic. k?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I also fail to see what in that article identifies her as right-wing. Nothing tells us her political preference.

Her trying to defund the left

Her equating being gay with being liberal, while being staunchly anti-gay

Her claiming that Harry Potter is actually bashing conservatives

I understand not wanting to be on the same side as her, but the best you can do on this one is to let everyone know that she's a crazy and that not everyone on the right is like that. There are crazies on both sides.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    I'm pretty sure gay people exist. I know a few. xD

Saturday's Child

Workin' Hard...
    Years
    Wow. I guess I'm not typing this, and my church didn't have a pastor for twenty years before seven years ago. Oh, and I guess there is no talk show called "ellen."

And I guess that this ignorant woman who said that all of this is true and right.

I'm sorry, but I am just mad as hell after reading that intro post. Grr.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    I can't begin to imagine how courageous gay soldiers are, fighting for a country that is filled with these kinds of people. But that's just the result of the anti-intellectual society we have.

Sunny Castform

Hoenn Traveler
    Years
    Like many posts have pointed out here already, I believe she was saying that to be gay is a choice. But it's still a silly statement as you could apply it to other divisions of people.
    Vegans don't exist.
    Environmentalists don't exist.
    Terrorists don't exist.

I don't know if people are actually born gay or not. And really, I couldn't care less. I wonder if this Linda Harvey was born religious? Because if not, then can I say she doesn't exist?
    Oh, and if I don't exist can I not pay taxes and not deal with government procedures concerning my recent immigration? Would make my life a lot easier.

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
    Years
    My next door neighbor is gay, and i'm like 99.99999999% sure he's real
    I've also been asked out by a couple of dudes :o, must of been ghosts lol
    This lady is clearly nuts, there are plenty of gay people. there are even gay pride parades, how in denial can a person be >.<

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Her trying to defund the left

Her equating being gay with being liberal, while being staunchly anti-gay

Her claiming that Harry Potter is actually bashing conservatives

I understand not wanting to be on the same side as her, but the best you can do on this one is to let everyone know that she's a crazy and that not everyone on the right is like that. There are crazies on both sides.

She's crazier than an outhouse rat. Opposing LGBT rights is one thing. That's pretty common among loons like her, but to believe that these people don't exist really makes me question her sanity.

Back