• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PBS Question] So, Can't Fight A Rocket Grunt

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2018
    Hi there, I ran into a confusing problem here and since I can't find the answer anywhere, I decided to make an account and ask it here. The problem? I can not fight the Rocket Grunts. At all. But, I can't understand why....let me explain.

I can create a new trainer type just fine, however, I can not do the same with the trainers already added. The event I made is attached below, using the exact names from the txt file (Before you tell me! I added "Grunt,1" as an attempt to see if that was my problem. It didn't change a thing).

Every time I boot up my project it asks me to add TEAMROCKET_F as a new trainer, despite already being a trainer! I am not doing anything wrong with this....am I? Is there something very simple I'm just not seeing with this?

Attachments

• So, Can't Fight A Rocket Grunt
      Test 1.png
      84.6 KB · Views: 22
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    Hi there, I ran into a confusing problem here and since I can't find the answer anywhere, I decided to make an account and ask it here. The problem? I can not fight the Rocket Grunts. At all. But, I can't understand why....let me explain.

I can create a new trainer type just fine, however, I can not do the same with the trainers already added. The event I made is attached below, using the exact names from the txt file (Before you tell me! I added "Grunt,1" as an attempt to see if that was my problem. It didn't change a thing).

Every time I boot up my project it asks me to add TEAMROCKET_F as a new trainer, despite already being a trainer! I am not doing anything wrong with this....am I? Is there something very simple I'm just not seeing with this?
    how is it spelled in the PBS? I don't think you can add a underscore. I think it's TEAMROCKETF in the PBS

Years
    how is it spelled in the PBS? I don't think you can add a underscore. I think it's TEAMROCKETF in the PBS

It's clearly in PBS a TEAMROCKET_F.

Topic:

Did you try copying the example in Route 7?
    Did you follow the instructions on how to properly setup a trainer as stated here?

Edit: Also, since you are applying grunts, you want to pay attention specialy to the part that state "BattleID:1"

The example maps are not there just for the looks, many basic questions are already answered there, so be sure to check it out.

Last edited:

Poq

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    So, it may not be an issue with trainer types. Have you defined the individual trainer?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2018
    @Poq -- The trainer is already defined by default.

@komaoto -- I thought that Wiki was taken down...And I didn't see the example on Route 7 despite looking there..Aw well. My blind eyes aside it works "after" I got rid of the green comments found in the trainers on Route 3 (a video tut I saw said those auto-changed what the trainer says).

Well, thanks for showing that Wiki is up! If it's all there, it should answer my other questions...the first thing I'll look at shall be battle transitions.

...But there's one thing I don't get. Why wouldn't it work like a normal trainer event? Any ideas? From that attachment you can see I did what I was suppose too. Unless Rockets are defined differently in the scripts (I'm not using Elite Battle).

Last edited:
    Years
    I just paid more attention to your screenshot and saw that you didn't setup your trainer like it should be.

Code:
    pbTrainerBattle([COLOR="Red"][B]PBTrainers:[/B][/COLOR]:TEAMROCKET_M,"Grunt",_I("You're too good for me!"),false,1)
    It looks like your are missing the red part.

Last edited:

Poq

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    I just paid more attention to your screenshot and saw that you didn't setup your trainer like it should be.

Code:
    pbTrainerBattle([COLOR="Red"][B]PBTrainers:[/B][/COLOR]:TEAMROCKET_M,"Grunt",_I("You're too good for me!"),false,1)
    It looks like your are missing the red part.

I'm pretty sure you don't need that, actually. The first argument of pbTrainerBattle is the trainer type. It's already expecting the constant from trainertypes.txt.

@Cody2819 You mentioned initially:
    Every time I boot up my project it asks me to add TEAMROCKET_F as a new trainer, despite already being a trainer!
    So have you actually walked through the steps of adding the trainer when you get that prompt?
    Sorry if it seems like a silly question - just trying to be thorough.

Years
    I'm pretty sure you don't need that, actually. The first argument of pbTrainerBattle is the trainer type. It's already expecting the constant from trainertypes.txt.

You are right, I was seeing a project in 16.2 where it seems that you need that part. While in 17.2 there's nothing like that at all.

I admit that I'm a bit rusty when it comes to essentials.

Topic:
    You want to pay attention to this section
    Where it says "pbTrainerBattle itself has six arguments:" one of them regards trainer versions. Use that instead. The event in route 7 states "...false,1" which indicates "false" for double battles, and 1 for version 1 of the trainer.
    You can also use "Comment: BattleID: 2" to use the version 2 of the trainer, but I don't know if it can conflict with the script inside the conditional branch

Also, in your event, you put "Comment: Name: Grunt,1". The ",1" is is not part of the trainer name. This is also in your conditional branch.
    The "Grunt,1" in PBS is first stating the name used by the event, in this case "Grunt", and then its version.

This is probably what got essentials thinking that you wanted to make a new trainer.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2018
    @komaoto

I wrote above that I added the ,1 to see if it changed anything, after a few attempts of trying to fix it on my own, which it did not. So that wasn't the problem. Also thanks fort hat link, I'll look at it when I get around to adding more trainers.

@Poq

I have by following Thundaga's videos. I just couldn't understand why the game was telling me to define what the creator already defined. It's like if the game asked you defined Gary/Blue, whose been defined and coded in the txt files Trainers and Trainertypes before you even boot up Essentials for the first time.

Back