• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, have they ever said who Ash's father is?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Has everyone ruled out the possibility that Ash's father is probably dead? People die, guys, even in the Pokemon world.

sigh... it is true that people die, but I don't think that's the case with Ash's father. I mean, really, Delia was referring to Ash's father in the Present tense in the 2nd episode, which Hints that he's still alive.

(Then again, that's the dub, but for all I know, that also could have been in the Japanese version, since I haven't seen the original version. The only thing I know about Ash's father in the Japanese version is that he was actually mentioned only once, and not twice as the Dub implied. the other mention to his father was ACTUALLY in reference to his Grandfather in the original Japanese.).

If he was dead, she would use the Past tense in reference to him. Even WITH divorce, she could still reference him in the Present tense.

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    I wish they would make it that Ash's goal in his journey would be [other than becoming a master] finding his dad. That would make thinks a whole lot more interesting...

Years
    Because until I get an answer from the Anime or movies, I'm still sticking with the theory that it's Giovanni.
    what makes u come 2 that conclusion? at the very first epi. ash is looking at tv and his father is shown battling the elite 4 and his mom says it also something about "look at u gonna b just like ure father" as the tv plays but now that uve said it i do wonder who ashes father is?

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    Hey guys. I watch the Anime in german. In the first episode Ash is talking with his mother on the phone and in german she said "Your father would be proud". Is it only in this translation?

No its in all languages. If you read the first page you would know a lot of other things they add. This line is one of the only things that tells us something about Ash's father

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
    I once saw it speculated somewhere in the depths of the internet that Ho-Oh is Ash's father =| though that doesn't correlate with what Delia said about his father being a Pokémon trainer.

I think it'd be cool if his father was someone like Lance or Steven. Someone pretty admirable in the Pokémon world. Other than Giovanni. Can anyone actually imagine Giovanni being with Delia?

Years
    (Then again, that's the dub, but for all I know, that also could have been in the Japanese version, since I haven't seen the original version. The only thing I know about Ash's father in the Japanese version is that he was actually mentioned only once, and not twice as the Dub implied. the other mention to his father was ACTUALLY in reference to his Grandfather in the original Japanese.)

Here is the episode comparison where the former was referenced. Apparently, the dub carried that over, as well.

https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/ep002.html

As for Giovanni being daddy, half is the Star Wars obsession some fans have, and the other is the Pokemon Live musical, having Delia/Giovanni as canon. Silly Americans. Heh.

I doubt it will be solved, FR/LG dropped that Giovanni had a red-headed kid, and Nintendo still hasn't done anything about it after 3-4 odd years?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2008
    Does Ash need a dad? The Red in the manga did fine without one. I still think that Ash's dad is a nobody so he doesn't need to be included. I still think he's out there but I think it's the scenario with Brock and his dad. Ash's dad is ashamed to be a failure pokemon trainer thus he doesn't go back home.

Justin T

Hydro Action
    Years
    Well whoever his father is, he must have aura (because he is a descendant of aura).

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2009
    What about Norman? Wasn't he May and Max's father?

And Prof. Oak is Gary's grandfather. And Brock's dad was on the show (though not his mom...hmm..........).

I just want to point out that Brocks mum was shown in the series, when he went back home and she had done up the place to suit water pokemon.

Maybe ash just doesn't have a dad and the people who make Pokemon didn't really think about it

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2010
    i think its pretty sure giovanni is ash's father cuz they never met , and kind of been talking like that anyway.
    its probably gonna be a huge climax when he has to battle giovanni.

ps: ho oh ashs father? rofl if so then miss ketchum is rly freaky in bed.

Back