• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, what happened to YOUR dad?

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
Years
  • I assume that the father was a one night stand, and he probably has no idea that your character even exists.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    I think the reason as to why most of the main characters don't have Dads has nothing to do with the plot or any of the games. If you were child of the 90's, the two major influences in your life were most likely Pokemon and Disney. Not many of the Disney characters that were humans (or in Ariel's case, human-like) had moms. Ariel didn't have a mom, Cinderella's mom dies and we don't actually meet her in the movie before hand, and Sleeping Beauty is the only one with a mom but she gets cared for by 3 fairies instead. I wont even mention non-human disney characters that loose their moms, there are too many.

Maybe the developers wanted to be the opposite of Disney? Disney is HUGE in the kids entertainment biz, and so is Pokemon. A lot of moral issues are dealt with in Pokemon: annimal abuse, stealing, destroying the environment, healthcare management, I could go on and on about this. There are a lot of toned-down versions of important real life issues.

Just a thought. I don't think we really have a way of knowing why.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    this just came to me but i think it has a lot of relation to anime and media in japan as whole, where the mother is most of the time depicted as a stay at home mom or always home and where the dad is off at work only coming home near the end of the day but thats just my opinion and what i see in lots of anime

CaptainObvious

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    He contracted Herpes after becoming the father of every Gym Leader in the region and died.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • Hoenn is awesone because you have both parents =D

In orre (XD gale of darkness) you only have your mother as usual however an old man in the hall outside the battle cd testing room will say sorry after bringing up something about your father in a way that he gives away that he had passed away soon after giving the main charicter his eevee.

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2019
    In Diamond I always got the sneaking suspicious that Cyrus was Lucas's dad but it seems if you pick Dawn, Lucas's mum and dad are Prof Rowans assistants. The artificial insemination idea isn't too unbelievable considering the other crazy stuff that happens in these games.

켄니씨

>Insert C.U.T Here<
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    1)He died T.T
    2)You're your own father by travelling in time
    3)Your "mother" is your father ^^

PL50

I hate legendaries
    Years
  • There is this very unusual theory created by super fans.

Kanto and johto were at war with Hoenn, Sinnoh did not want ANY part with the war. Hoenn attacked Sinnoh and most of the fathers went to war against Hoenn, Kanto and Johto continued to fight Hoenn and helping out Sinnoh.

Most of the fathers were killed during this "war" and thus, there is no father for your character. Prof. Birch, the father of may/brendan is a professor and was unable to go to war due to his position, same goes to Norman who is a gym leader. Also with Barry's father. He is the frontier brain for the battle tower. And the father of Lyra/Ethan? He is the father, but notice his wife isn't shown....

That was a theory of why the dad's aren't show, although i don't believe it

Arcaray

Tetris God.
    Years
  • I find that in the first two generations, the games aren't exactly the most realistic. But as the games progress, so do links that tie in with real life, making it easier to relate to. RBY/GSC games are much too basic for an unimportant character. My favourite thing about RSE is the relationship with the father.

Then after that, I assume the people at Game Freak had problems with their own fathers instantaneously and therefore saw fit to rid them from the game. I think dads are due for a comeback if a Gen VI is on the cards though!

Or, alternatively...

I like the theory that Oak is Red's secret dad. It'd be very Star Wars-esque when Red battles his enemy; "Blue, I am your Uncle." And he seems like the sleazy type, but in a sort of ...loveable manner?

In GSC I used to pretend that the dad was the Dojo Master. Your mother met him when shopping in Kanto one day, he impressed her with his Karate skills and the rest is history. It was a one night stand, and when she discovered her pregnancy she travelled to Saffron to see he had disappeared, the Psychic Gym removing all his prestige and challengers.
    When Gold finds him in Mt. Mortar, the Master is obviously unaware that he has a son. However, he recognises his child's features, and so he gives him a prize as a token for beating him and for the rekindled memories of a better time.

The mysteries shrouding Mr Pokemon and Mr Fuji spark interest in me also. Maybe our dear champion has Pokemon excellence running through his veins?

켄니씨

>Insert C.U.T Here<
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    In DPPt your father is a trainer in a journey.Palmer says that they were rivals and wish to rematch him or something like that

chakra199

Playing pokemon, like a boss
    Years
  • Lol, wow,...i think the parents probally got divorced...or the dad just never shows up and hes away all the time? Idk...i never really gave it alot of thought lol

The Last One

Stalking Your Conversations
    Years
  • I'm red's father.. =P

No but who knows, maybe Oak was jealous of His son/daughter and son/daughter in law for some reason, turned them into a Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander with one of the machines in his lab it says you should not touch, and Red's father was a witness and Oak turned him into the remaining Pokemon.. that explains the rival and his sister's parents never there.. and Oak gets a laugh that you and your rival ar fighting with your parents and not knowing it

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I always thought it was the whole. 'Women stay home, men work' type deal. So the moms would be there to greet ou, but the dads would be off training, working, etc. Parents aren't a core focus in the game, so those were my thoughts.

Azure Wish

Haha. No.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2012
    He's having a passionate affair with the nearest female gym leader.
    No, really.

Last edited:
    Back