• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So what's up with Ash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poké King

A Mixed Bag...
    Years
    • MD
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    After the first like 5 episodes this has popped in my head and every since all the other seasons its gone from what's up with Ash to WTF is wrong with Ash. I say what's up with Ash because there are a lot of things he does do and doesn't do that don't really make much sense considering he wants to become a Pokémon Master, they include:

1) Why doesn't Ash ever capture Pokémon? I mean sure he captured a few but most of them weren't like "Oo I see a *blank* and wanna capture it", they were more like "Hey I came across *blank* and it likes me so I'm gonna capture it" I mean even Misty back in the day if I recall talked about how Ash didn't really capture the Pokémon he had on him which then prompted him to capture his Krabby. Plus when you take in account he has had numerous chances to do so, some of which offered pretty good Pokémon. So if he wants to be a Pokémon Master as he stated a lot back in the day why would he do nothing to really get there, it kind of reminds me of Naruto always talking about being Hokage but in the end doing really nothing to do so.

2) Why doesn't Ash battle much? Ya he battles Gym Leaders, Frontier Brains and rarely fellow Trainers but mostly he doesn't battle at all, nor does he train his Pokémon in others ways to make up for that fact.

3) #2 brings me to another question which is how does Ash win battles? I mean his lack of variety of Pokémon as well as a lack of training for them should mean he doesn't win much but practically every person he faces he beats and if he doesn't beat them the first time he does the second. And add to it that he is incompetent in battling most of the time like using Normal Type Moves against Ghost Types or sticking with a Pokémon even if he has a horrible disadvantage with it because there low on HP or have a Type disadvantage or something else. To me it seems that he wings most of his battles and wins by luck usually just like May does in Contest.

In the end the only thing Ash seems to do right is actively pursue gaining his Badges for the Region he is in. And treat his Pokémon right of course.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    Just to be a real pain im going to try to counter argue each of your points XD.

Firstly i think to be a pokemon master as Ash wants to be, he feels that he doesnt need a wide range of pokemon to achieve his goal but instead wants to focus on the pokemon he has and train them to his best of ability. Consider also that Ash also likes having close relationships with his pokemon and we have to think that hes not going to have this with every single pokemon he meets so why catch?

Secondly, if Ash was to battle non stop in every episode it would get very boring for us so the odd occasional one on one trainer battles are enough to keep us going until the next gym. I also think that having side adventures and obstacles is a nice change from battling. And if you think about it Ash does battle 'everyday' . . . with TEAM ROCKET!

Lastly Ash has skill! Despite his lack in pokemon he does have variety and uses their abilities in a clever and inventive ways, also using his surroundings to aid his pokemon during battle. However one thing i cant argue you with you about sadly is May winning her contests, as most of the time luck aids her in her victories for example her Munchlax's metronome turning into something spectacular!

~Kipper~

Poké King

A Mixed Bag...
    Years
    • MD
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007

Firstly i think to be a pokemon master as Ash wants to be, he feels that he doesnt need a wide range of pokemon to achieve his goal but instead wants to focus on the pokemon he has and train them to his best of ability. Consider also that Ash also likes having close relationships with his pokemon and we have to think that hes not going to have this with every single pokemon he meets so why catch?

Secondly, if Ash was to battle non stop in every episode it would get very boring for us so the odd occasional one on one trainer battles are enough to keep us going until the next gym. I also think that having side adventures and obstacles is a nice change from battling. And if you think about it Ash does battle 'everyday' . . . with TEAM ROCKET!

Lastly Ash has skill! Despite his lack in pokemon he does have variety and uses their abilities in a clever and inventive ways, also using his surroundings to aid his pokemon during battle. However one thing i cant argue you with you about sadly is May winning her contests, as most of the time luck aids her in her victories for example her Munchlax's metronome turning into something spectacular!

~Kipper~
    Ya he does battle Team Rocket everyday but at the same time there so weak its not really any kind of training or experience for his Pokémon which is why I didn't count them. As for him battling cleverly and inventively, yes he does do that some times but a lot of times not so much. Also I never said he was incompetent all the time, just most of the time. I mean come on how can you forget that Normal Type Moves are ineffective against Ghost Types, the first time he did it back in the day was to teach the audience about the game but recently I saw him do it and that don't make sense.

As for side adventures, ya there good but I think the series has become more about the adventure of traveling and not the adventure of training, raising & battling your Pokémon which is what the series is supposed to be about. I mean if it wasn't for May and her Contest we barely see any battles on the show so though she may be an incompetent Coordinator she does give us battles.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    Ya he does battle Team Rocket everyday but at the same time there so weak its not really any kind of training or experience for his Pokémon which is why I didn't count them. As for him battling cleverly and inventively, yes he does do that some times but a lot of times not so much. Also I never said he was incompetent all the time, just most of the time. I mean come on how can you forget that Normal Type Moves are ineffective against Ghost Types, the first time he did it back in the day was to teach the audience about the game but recently I saw him do it and that don't make sense.

As for side adventures, ya there good but I think the series has become more about the adventure of traveling and not the adventure of training, raising & battling your Pokémon which is what the series is supposed to be about. I mean if it wasn't for May and her Contest we barely see any battles on the show so though she may be an incompetent Coordinator she does give us battles.

As for his mistake on forgetting that normal type moves are inefecctive on ghost type pokemon i cant say much for that apart from a dumb mistake which i dont think any trainer would make. We have to consider aswell that Ash is still learning which means that he would make the occasional mistake even if it is extremely dumb.

I want to ask you aswell if you mean you have only watched the first five episodes of the first season, because if so i dont think you can really judge Ash based on that limited amount of time. As the seasons go on for me personally, the episodes and storylines become more complex and interesting. So just give hime a chance if you really have only eatched the first five episodes! XD

~Kipper~

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    Yeah I see what you mean

As well
    WHY DONT ASH"S POKEMON EVOLVE?

Pikachu I understand

But the only pokemon he ever evolved were I think is charmander and his chickorita. I cant remember though.

Even team rockets weak ass pokemon evolved

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015

[/I][/B]

You're partially right. But you're forgetting the selling point.

Basically, he wants to focus on the 'starters' and a few other Pokemon in each new Region, forsaking the previous ones for all but a few choice episodes. See, what people don't realize is that while Pokemon is clearly an Anime, it is also a big commercial for the games, so of course Ash's gonna use the 'current trend' of Pokemon. That's why Ash decided to 'start over' in Hoenn by 'Oaking' his Pokemon. Do you honestly think it was for the sake of his relations with Pokemon, or some big hidden plot that's been secretly building for over three years? No. It's just to sell the new game.

But before you get mad, you gotta realize that this isn't even a new concept. It's been done time and time again (and it's practically foolproof, from what I see). Here's a few examples.

In Transformers the Movie, how many of the original Autobots were killed in order to 'usher in' (sell) the new ones? And didn't lack of popularity with the infamous Death of Optimus end in him being revived?

In He-Man, they had an entire movie made to bring in the She-Ra franchise (which is probably still considered to be the most successful spin-off since Jetsons), and sell the toys.

My point, it happens everywhere, so why should Pokemon be any different?

As for Pokemon Types, I'll say this, and mark my words. There'll come a time when types become so numerous and intermingled with one another due to the sheer number, that they'll be either completely redone, or phased out completely to make the Anime easier to make. Think about it. There's already more than ten (and I hear that two more are on the way). What happens when we get up to twenty, or even thirty?

Last edited:

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    I think Ash's incompitance and idiocy are mostly for comic relief.

It's stereotypical cartoon tactic. Most of today's anime protoganists are some kid 10-15 who are cluumsy and eat a lot. This basically discribes Ash.

The writers make Ash the way he is for comic relief. That's all.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    Yeah I see what you mean

As well

Pikachu I understand

But the only pokemon he ever evolved were I think is charmander and his chickorita. I cant remember though.

Well to be honest with you i agree that mainly his pokemon has not evolved but ones that have evolved include.

Charmander
    Pidgotto
    Caterpie
    Krabby
    Chikorita
    Phanpy
    Taillow
    Treecko
    Snorunt

Not many but there are a few.

~Kipper~

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    Well to be honest with you i agree that mainly his pokemon has not evolved but ones that have evolved include.

Charmander
    Pidgotto
    Caterpie
    Krabby
    Chikorita
    Phanpy
    Taillow
    Treecko
    Snorunt

~Kipper~
    That's a lot considering the little he has.

Poké King

A Mixed Bag...
    Years
    • MD
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    As for his mistake on forgetting that normal type moves are inefecctive on ghost type pokemon i cant say much for that apart from a dumb mistake which i dont think any trainer would make. We have to consider aswell that Ash is still learning which means that he would make the occasional mistake even if it is extremely dumb.

I want to ask you aswell if you mean you have only watched the first five episodes of the first season, because if so i dont think you can really judge Ash based on that limited amount of time. As the seasons go on for me personally, the episodes and storylines become more complex and interesting. So just give hime a chance if you really have only eatched the first five episodes! XD

~Kipper~
    Yes in the beginning he made that mistake and I understood but in recent episodes he made the mistake after competing in a ton of leagues and getting a ton of Badges therefore shouldn't of made the mistake. And I said after the first 5 episodes I began to be like what is wrong with Ash, I didn't say I watched only 5 episodes as I have watched every episode to come out in America so far pretty much.

Yeah I see what you mean

As well

Pikachu I understand

Most of Ash's Pokémon don't evolve for the very same reasons I gave above which is that he doesn't train them or battle with them much therefore there not gonna get anywhere Level wise yet his unevolved Pokémon always seem to kick the ass of other Pokémon who clearly are greater Level wise.

As for Pokémon who haven't evolved yet, they are: Totodile, Cyndaquil, Bulbasaur and Squirtle. When it comes to the first two they probably haven't evolved because of lack of training, Bulbasaur if you recall chose to stay that way rather than evolve into Ivysaur very early in the series and Squirtle should of evolved though maybe before Ash got him he chose to not evolve on his own as well.

You're partially right. But you're forgetting the selling point.

Basically, he wants to focus on the 'starters' and a few other Pokemon in each new Region, forsaking the previous ones for all but a few choice episodes. See, what people don't realize is that while Pokemon is clearly an Anime, it is also a big commercial for the games, so of course Ash's gonna use the 'current trend' of Pokemon. That's why Ash decided to 'start over' in Hoenn by 'Oaking' his Pokemon. Do you honestly think it was for the sake of his relations with Pokemon, or some big hidden plot that's been secretly building for over three years? No. It's just to sell the new game.

As for Pokemon Types, I'll say this, and mark my words. There'll come a time when types become so numerous and intermingled with one another due to the sheer number, that they'll be either completely redone, or phased out completely to make the Anime easier to make. Think about it. There's already more than ten. What happens when we get up to twenty, or even thirty?
    Ya I do understand why he changed up after every Region, course if you think they be trying to sell it good they make him capture more so we see more on a regular basis.

As for Types it will take forever to get to 30 and considering how tapped they are for ideas at this point as shown by Pearl & Diamond I doubt they could get to 30 and probably not even 20.

But not every one of his Pokemon can evolve. Muk, Snorlax, Herecross, Noctowl and Torkaol have no evolutions.
    Ya Ash always captures Pokémon who don't evolve, wonder why? Maybe so we don't notice so easily that he barely trains them lol.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years

Charmander
    Pidgotto
    Caterpie
    Krabby
    Chikorita
    Phanpy
    Taillow
    Treecko
    Snorunt

~Kipper~

Dont forget his mankey. It evolved and he gave it away. His kingler he barely uses and what happened to his Bayleaf? Phanpy EVOLVED? I didnt know that and I didnt know he had a snorunt. The rest he released. Like his butterfree. It was like his best friend and I always liked how he had it. Same with his pigeott. It was his right hand pokemon next to Pikachu. I hate how what ever cartoon company makes the anime got rid of his best pokemon

But the entire reason those pokemon dont evolve is because they have a very good potential when they level up. If they evolved it would have made some super pokemon that would have made the game to easy. Thats why legendarys dont lvl up. I mean Heracross is self explanitory

Torcoal is a very powerfull pokemon if you give it the right moves. Snorlax and muc are very powerfull. Especialy Snorlax since it can heal itself and do an attack in the process.

as to the fact of why ash is so weak

I think that Ash is supposed to be the opposite of Red. Red is a person who catches very powerfull pokemon and didnt sleep in on the first day. In fact in crystal when you face him in mount silver he is omega powerfull. He has lvl 70 pokemon.

Last edited:

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    Dont forget his mankey. It evolved and he gave it away. His kingler he barely uses and what happened to his Bayleaf? Phanpy EVOLVED? I didnt know that and I didnt know he had a snorunt. The rest he released. Like his butterfree. It was like his best friend and I always liked how he had it. Same with his pigeott. It was his right hand pokemon next to Pikachu. I hate how what ever cartoon company makes the anime got rid of his best pokemon

But the entire reason those pokemon dont evolve is because they have a very good potential when they level up. If they evolved it would have made some super pokemon that would have made the game to easy. Thats why legendarys dont lvl up. I mean Heracross is self explanitory

Torcoal is a very powerfull pokemon if you give it the right moves. Snorlax and muc are very powerfull. Especialy Snorlax since it can heal itself and do an attack in the process.

I think that Ash is supposed to be the opposite of Red. Red is a person who catches very powerfull pokemon and didnt sleep in on the first day. In fact in crystal when you face him in mount silver he is omega powerfull. He has lvl 70 pokemon.

Yeah good theory but the reason why you cant remember Ash catching a snorunt was because i dont think the eoisode in the ice caves where he caught it was aired!. Also i guess Ash releases all his pokemon 'for the good of other pokemon', as for example Butterfree ws released to be with the pink butterfree and pideot was let go by Ash to protect other weaker pokemon so it became the leader of a certain area.

~Kipper~

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years

Umm... I'd dispute that theory, since Red is based on Ash. Red came second, don't forget, so he couldn't have been used to become the "Polar Opposite" of Ash. The reason Ash acts like an idiot is really only for one reason- he's not the brightest tool in the shed, that's all. And I'd like to dispute the fact that he doesn't train his Pokemon- it is possible, after all, that he could be training them off-screen, as in, between episodes. My main gripe about the anime these days is that I can no longer consider the idea of an AshXPikachu relationship due to Pikachu's being confirmed a freakin' male. I hate Pokemon anime writers. *sporks* I mean, I could write some of these episodes- all I'd have to do is get hopped up on adrenaline!

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    Like I said. Ash is supposed to be stupid. It's for comic relief. If he won every battle and was really smart than it would be boring.

Latium

Animeman
    Years
    ash and the gangs stupidity

I have to agree with both points here. But like the art critic said, ash really isnt all that bright. as a matter of fact him, May, Max, and brock get on my nerves sometimes. (almost always). I mean every time team rocket disguises themselves (even though i can hardly call their getups "disguises"), Ash and the gang always fall for it. No affense, but how gullable can you get?

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    I have to agree with both points here. But like the art critic said, ash really isnt all that bright. as a matter of fact him, May, Max, and brock get on my nerves sometimes. (almost always). I mean every time team rocket disguises themselves (even though i can hardly call their getups "disguises"), Ash and the gang always fall for it. No affense, but how gullable can you get?
    For the third frikkin' time. It's for comic relief!!

Poké King

A Mixed Bag...
    Years
    • MD
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    Yeah good theory but the reason why you cant remember Ash catching a snorunt was because i dont think the eoisode in the ice caves where he caught it was aired!.
    The Snorunt episode aired here.

And I'd like to dispute the fact that he doesn't train his Pokemon- it is possible, after all, that he could be training them off-screen, as in, between episodes. My main gripe about the anime these days is that I can no longer consider the idea of an AshXPikachu relationship due to Pikachu's being confirmed a freakin' male. I hate Pokemon anime writers. *sporks* I mean, I could write some of these episodes- all I'd have to do is get hopped up on adrenaline!
    Well, I never said he doesn't train his Pokémon, its just he doesn't do it a lot and ya he could be training in between episodes but I doubt as usually between episodes is when Ash & the gang travel from place to place so in every episode we don't have to see them going from point A to point B.

And lol about the Ash & Pikachu relationship being messed up by Pikachu being a boy, did you want them to get married or something? Though I think it be cute if Pikachu was a girl though he seems more like a male in the way he acts so if he was a girl people be like why was he acting that way before.

I mean every time team rocket disguises themselves (even though i can hardly call their getups "disguises"), Ash and the gang always fall for it. No affense, but how gullable can you get?
    Ya lol, like in the episode where they were at the Pewter City Gym as supposed interior designers and somehow Brock, the gang as well as his whole family couldn't see that Meowth was a Meowth though they thought he was strange at least.

For the third frikkin' time. It's for comic relief!!
    Ya I know but still its stupid and plus I think it could be said Jesse, James & Meowth are there strictly for comedic relief. As well as extend episode length. :D

Last edited:

Latium

Animeman
    Years

and another thing. Have you ever noticed that in intense battles the pokemon never die (they could get some serious whiplash from smashing into those walls). I mean i understand the officials stopping the match, but i mean dont these pokemon ever get seriously hurt. (not including the time when team rocket's Chimeco got really sick, same with may's munchlax). the only time ive ever seen pokemon close to fatal injury was in the first pokemon movie, And they were only punching and slapping eachother.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back