• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Solved] [Pokéyellow] Name Text Display Causing Errors in All Text Boxes

astoryinpieces

Game Boy Dog-Girl??
    Days
    • Age 35
    • She/They
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    Hi there!
    I've been working on a Pokémon Yellow rom-hack using the pret disassembly files for a couple of weeks now, and it's coming along really well so far! Today, though, I followed the tutorial on the Pokéyellow github and implemented choosing your gender (from boy, girl, and non-binary). After testing, the selection process works fine, as does naming yourself once you've chosen your gender for the game, but after that things go bad...
    Neither your own name, or the name you chose for your rival, show up regularly in dialog text boxes or any menus. Instead, it shows a blank line before either name, and it completely disrupts text that comes before or after, by overwriting it or simply not showing it. I've tried to track my work back through the tutorial to see if I missed anything, but I haven't got a clue what's causing this issue!
    I've included some screenshots from the intro section of the game to show that the name selection works after selecting one of the gender options (in this case, the non-binary character), but stops displaying properly immediately after.
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated! If there's more information needed, I'm happy to provide~
    Thanks!

sameboy_CMYnkUzSYM.pngsameboy_NpvzNUvlEr.pngsameboy_vz6PWP3LOm.gif

Last edited:

astoryinpieces

Game Boy Dog-Girl??
    Days
    • Age 35
    • She/They
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    I solved it!
    Turns out, in copying the code over from the tutorial, I got the player_names_list and player_names duplicated, and it made all the default player names contain a line break! Thanks for anyone who looked in on this question in hopes of offering a solution! (Also, if anyone could tell me how to properly mark this thread as solved, or delete it if that's the better option, please let me know~)

Days
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Question? Since you're also working on a Pokémon yellow hack do you happen to know where to edit color palettes for the intro and title screen?

Back