• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[SOLVED] (PokeYellow) Am I doing something wrong for the title screen and intro?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    I could not solve my previous problem, and it seems no one knows, so I decided to do some pixel art myself for an old Yellow hack of Eevee thjat I did long ago... But in the intro, 2 of 3 frames are incorrect, and in the title screen, there are extra tiles appearing near my newly drawn Eevee that doesn't seem to be part of TileMap Studio... Here are some screenshots to show you what I mean.

eevee1.pngThis one is OK :)
    eevee2.pngThis one is NOT OK. As you can see, some parts of Eevee are transparent, so the water is seen inside Eevee's sprite.
    eevee3.pngNot OK either. Same problem as above.
    eevee4.pngHm... what are the extra tiles doing on the right...?

I heard someone saying an .asm or two file must be edited to fix all of this, but I dunno which one to edit... Can someone help out?

TIny_Hacker

the calculator
    Years
  • It looks to me as if you've modified the sprite data, but not actually changed the intro code. Note that in these scenes in the original intro, Pikachu uses two different palettes: One is blue and yellow, and a second palette with red and yellow which is only used where red is required. The red squares of Eevee are where red tiles of Pikachu would've originally been, if that makes sense. The extra tiles on the right are where Pikachu's tail would've been in the original.

Removing the extra tiles shouldn't be too difficult at all. Simply open "engine/movie/title_yellow.asm" and remove the following from the "TitleScreen_PlacePikachu:" label (For me, this is lines 47 - 54):
    Code:
        hlcoord 16, 10
        ld [hl], $96
        hlcoord 16, 11
        ld [hl], $9d
        hlcoord 16, 12
        ld [hl], $a7
        hlcoord 16, 13
        ld [hl], $b1

This code simply draws four extra tail tiles. Without it, it looks like this:

[SOLVED] (PokeYellow) Am I doing something wrong for the title screen and intro?

Correcting the palette issue could be a little trickier, I'm not sure. I don't really have much hacking experience at all, but I did step around in BGB's debugger and it looks like there are two calls in "engine/movie/intro_yellow.asm", "Func_f98a2" and "Func_f98cb", which take care of modifying the specific tile's OAM attributes and changing the palette that is used. It seems like "Func_f98a2" is used for the surfing scene, and "Func_f98cb" is used for the balloons.

I think it could be possible to fix the palette issue by removing those calls (along with lines 24 - 28 of yellow_intro.asm that use them), and then figuring out how to correctly change the palette so that your Eevee only uses the red and yellow one, rather than only the blue and yellow.

Hopefully this at least somewhat helps :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    It looks to me as if you've modified the sprite data, but not actually changed the intro code. Note that in these scenes in the original intro, Pikachu uses two different palettes: One is blue and yellow, and a second palette with red and yellow which is only used where red is required. The red squares of Eevee are where red tiles of Pikachu would've originally been, if that makes sense. The extra tiles on the right are where Pikachu's tail would've been in the original.

Removing the extra tiles shouldn't be too difficult at all. Simply open "engine/movie/title_yellow.asm" and remove the following from the "TitleScreen_PlacePikachu:" label (For me, this is lines 47 - 54):
    Code:
        hlcoord 16, 10
        ld [hl], $96
        hlcoord 16, 11
        ld [hl], $9d
        hlcoord 16, 12
        ld [hl], $a7
        hlcoord 16, 13
        ld [hl], $b1

This code simply draws four extra tail tiles. Without it, it looks like this:

View attachment 154798

Correcting the palette issue could be a little trickier, I'm not sure. I don't really have much hacking experience at all, but I did step around in BGB's debugger and it looks like there are two calls in "engine/movie/intro_yellow.asm", "Func_f98a2" and "Func_f98cb", which take care of modifying the specific tile's OAM attributes and changing the palette that is used. It seems like "Func_f98a2" is used for the surfing scene, and "Func_f98cb" is used for the balloons.

I think it could be possible to fix the palette issue by removing those calls (along with lines 24 - 28 of yellow_intro.asm that use them), and then figuring out how to correctly change the palette so that your Eevee only uses the red and yellow one, rather than only the blue and yellow.

Hopefully this at least somewhat helps :)
    Thank you so much, bro! It worked! And sorry for the late reply, I was sick ^^' All that remains are the "messed up" intro sprites to draw and get together in the project, then I can start editing ;)

Days
    • Seen today
    Thank you so much, bro! It worked! And sorry for the late reply, I was sick ^^' All that remains are the "messed up" intro sprites to draw and get together in the project, then I can start editing ;)
    I have a question do you know how to change the color palettes of the intro and the title screen?

Back