• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Some weird and specific questions about Pokemon Emerald as I prepare to make a ROM Hack: altering combat

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Hey, so I've already ROM Hacked before, but I have some very specific questions as I'm preparing my design documents, for trying things I've never tried before.

1. If a move's ability is not programmed to occur while also causing damage in the base game, can it be programmed to occur at the same time as a damage dealing move? For example, can the effect of Sunny Day, Sword Dance, or Substitute be triggered if the ability has a Power value? Will the game still deal damage and conduct the proper animations? Or will this cause a glitch?

2. What is the maximum value that Power can have and still produce a viable outcome? Presumable it's no more than a 3 digit number, but will a number over 150 result in an error? Or can it safely go up without issue?

3. What would happen if the numbers in the Power and Accuracy values were not divisible by 5? Will this produce an error?

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Back