• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Something I noticed about Team Rocket

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
    Ok, so today, I watched the episode "Leave it to Brocko."

It's the one where they have to take care of a lost Nuzleaf.

And then, Team Rocket takes the Nuzleaf.... which was wild.
    Team Rocket should have the right to capture wild pokemon that don't belong to any trainers. I don't think it really makes any sense. This didn't just happen in this specific episode, I remember quite alot of episodes where Team Rocket steal/capture wild pokemon, but Ash and Co. still attack them like they actually "stole".

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    Well when they are stealing pokemon-it means they arent capturing them in a pokeball and they are giving that pokemon to their boss,

but if they catch it to be on their team then its not stealing.

It kinda makes sense?

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
    It isn't the fact that Rocket Gang are the ones capturing the wild Pokemon in which Satoshi-tachi try to put a stop to them, it's the methods they use to accomplish it. Nets, bazookas, hot air balloons with mechanical arms... these are the characteristics of poaching, which is indeed illegal in the anime.

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    It might be poaching, but it's not as if capturing unsuspecting wild animals in Pokeballs is any better. xD;

Last edited:

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
    It might be poaching, but it's not as if capturing unsuspecting wild animals in balls is any better. xD;
    Taking on a Pokemon in a friendly battle and capturing them in Monster Balls where they could freely escape from at will (according to the anime) is not comparable to capturing a Pokemon while destroying half the forest with a 100ft mecha, not only causing harm to the Pokemon but for the natural environment as well. o_O

Especially since said mechas are known to explode at the slightest touch from Rocket Gang. Actually, they're walking time-bombs themselves.

srsly.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2015
    Taking on a Pokemon in a friendly battle and capturing them in Monster Balls where they could freely escape from at will (according to the anime) is not comparable to capturing a Pokemon while destroying half the forest with a 100ft mecha, not only causing harm to the Pokemon but for the natural environment as well. o_O

Especially since said mechas are known to explode at the slightest touch from Rocket Gang. Actually, they're walking time-bombs themselves.

srsly.

LMAO!! I know that makes no sense. It looks like they're so used to blasting off that any little touch sets them off.

solopy567

Giga....Drill....BREAKER! !!!!
    Years
    I noticed something too with Team Rocket.

It seems they greatly underestimate Legendary Pokemon
    They have all these fantisies of what will happen if they give it to their boss, but every legendary pokemon in existence could probably set a record on blasting them off.

Also, when they say they will give pokemon to their boss, they have no way of knowing of what will happen.

For all they know, the pokemon could be a crazy bloodsucking rampaging monster who will kill anything that gets in its way.

They aren't very smart

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021

srsly.

LOL! It's seriously hilarious how easy explosions are in Pokemon. I think in one of the DP tag battle episodes, Buizel fell onto another Pokemon and there was a huge explosion! NO attack, just knocked into another Pokemon!

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
    Giving Giovanni a Deoxys from the Battle Frontier episode was the smart idea. Then Giovanni would really be paying attention to them. That's the Mew or Mewtwo for Generation III, right? Forget their stupid fantasies of what the boss will do. A Deoxys under Giovanni's control: that's power.

A Yanmega? Come on now. I'm really surprised he actually wasted time when his grunts gave him that pokeball.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    LOL! It's seriously hilarious how easy explosions are in Pokemon. I think in one of the DP tag battle episodes, Buizel fell onto another Pokemon and there was a huge explosion! NO attack, just knocked into another Pokemon!

That's why I find the new battles utterly ridiculous. An iron tail and headbutt connect-EXPLOSION!!!

Lash

Years
    That's why I find the new battles utterly ridiculous. An iron tail and headbutt connect-EXPLOSION!!!

It wouldn't be a surprise if Tail Whip and Leer caused an explosion.

But, with Team Rocket, they have seriously gotten dumber over the years, especially in Hoenn when every episode had a boss fantasy. I mean, if they gave him a good Pokemon, obviously he would pay attention, but then still tell them to do their jobs. Honestly, they have gotten a little ridiculous >_>;;

Years
    Giving Giovanni a Deoxys from the Battle Frontier episode was the smart idea. Then Giovanni would really be paying attention to them. That's the Mew or Mewtwo for Generation III, right? Forget their stupid fantasies of what the boss will do. A Deoxys under Giovanni's control: that's power.

A Yanmega? Come on now. I'm really surprised he actually wasted time when his grunts gave him that pokeball.

Well, in Special, he did capture one, so you'd be partially right. Heh.

I think it's the perceived rarity, as, yes, Yanma is rare in-game and in-series (hasn't had a lot of appearances). Not their fault that he decided to take a pass on it.

As Charmup said, it's semantics and their methods. And as I learned from Johto, most of the time, Pokemon they would actually deserve to get (Sudowoodo, Houndour), the anime writers would go out of their way to rob the trio of the opportunity. As for the Legendaries, that's just the trio's naked ambition, and they never really prepare to capture one beforehand. Whereas, every other Pokemon, they go through an elaborate process (thinking uses for it, the methods, etc.)

Then again, the Legendaries appear very randomly in the anime, so I don't blame their reactions.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    It wouldn't be a surprise if Tail Whip and Leer caused an explosion.

But, with Team Rocket, they have seriously gotten dumber over the years, especially in Hoenn when every episode had a boss fantasy. I mean, if they gave him a good Pokemon, obviously he would pay attention, but then still tell them to do their jobs. Honestly, they have gotten a little ridiculous >_>;;

There was a time when they were smart?

Years
    There was a time when they were smart?

I don't think they're stupid, per se. Just hubris sometimes gets in the way. For an old example, think of the old Todd/Snap first appearance. The kids were about to fall into the sewer's waterfall, and they have the rat. You'd expect them to leave, but, instead, they still attack (I see it as flexing). Todd used his camera to appeal to their ego, and James forgot to throw the bomb, and that did it. Most times, their own hubris is why they fail; other times, forces beyond their control (Legendaries, for example).

This isn't counting the times where they acknowledge the hubris, and just don't care. Or, of course, turn good, even though, it doesn't benefit them in the long run (The recent Electrike one).

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Well, you gotta admit, in Kanto, they were smarter than they are now, if even slightly >_>;;

I've been watching Indigo League recently (I have all the Indigo League boxsets now, yay!) and I've gotta say no o.O They were just as annoying and stupid. They just use the hand grabbing thing and threw smoke bombs about. I've just watched the one where they hired Snap, thinking he would capture Pikachu but he thought they meant a picture XD The only thing smart is that they seem to have better disguises but it doesn't matter because Ash never sees through them, anyway. Although they did help a few times (helping Ditto transform, Paras evolve) but got absolutly NO credit, which annoyed me.

I don't think they're stupid, per se. Just hubris sometimes gets in the way. For an old example, think of the old Todd/Snap first appearance. The kids were about to fall into the sewer's waterfall, and they have the rat. You'd expect them to leave, but, instead, they still attack (I see it as flexing). Todd used his camera to appeal to their ego, and James forgot to throw the bomb, and that did it. Most times, their own hubris is why they fail; other times, forces beyond their control (Legendaries, for example).

Weird, I was writing about that episode before your post came up o.O Although, it is just a *tiny* bit silly to want a photo while you're holding a bomb XD

Years
    I love the Rocket Gang. ;_; I've noticed the same thing, actually! I never gave any thought to the fact that they were using... unconventional methods, but still, I don't think it's any of Team Twerp's buisness that Team Rocket is "stealing" WILD POKEMON. That Satoshi et al aren't going to try and capture anyways. (Ever notice how Satoshi hardly ever -captures- any Pokémon, and always releases the ones they have?)

CharmUp!

大丈夫★~!
    Years
    I love the Rocket Gang. ;_; I've noticed the same thing, actually! I never gave any thought to the fact that they were using... unconventional methods, but still, I don't think it's any of Team Twerp's buisness that Team Rocket is "stealing" WILD POKEMON. That Satoshi et al aren't going to try and capture anyways.
    Yeah! Let Rocket Gang capture the wild Pokemon so they could send it to Rocket Headquarters, lead by people whom are totally going to treat the Pokemon right!

That's like saying you'd let poacher illegally hunt animals just because you aren't going to get those animals as pets. o_O If that's the case, the officers wouldn't be on Rocket Gang's ***es in the first place.
    (Ever notice how Satoshi hardly ever -captures- any Pokémon, and always releases the ones they have?)
    Um, no. The ONLY Pokemon he's released are Butterfree, Laplace, and Pigeot. The rest that left his party are available for him to call upon at ANY time (although poor Okorizaru seems to be neglected of this privilege), were traded away, or aren't in his power to keep (Azumao). I also recall a lot of idiots using the old "He gives away all his Pokemon!" card as a reason to bash him. The ONLY case of him giving away a Pokemon was his Spear.

In contrast, he's CAUGHT more Pokemon than he's ever RELEASED them.

Back