• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Somewhat complex RNG question

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I apologize in advance if this should've been asked in the Quick Questions thread, I thought it may be better to post it here since it requires a reasonable amount of knowledge of the RNG.

I've just recently got into RNG manipulation in Black and White, and after great success using it to get flawless wild Pokemon, I decided to try my hand at RNGing bred Pokemon.

So, I have my seed, I know my starting frame and everything. The frame I want to hit is 84 for my flawless HP Ice Rotom. After doing a few test runs I decide that I need to chatter 23 times to hit the correct frame, so I do so. Except, I end up hitting frame 83. I try chattering 24 times, expecting to hit 84, and instead hit frame 85. I have been at this for hours to no avail, the game just skips right over my frame no matter what I try. I am at a complete loss as of what to do, does anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?

If at all possible I'd like to continue using the same seed since it took me a while to find it.

Thank you very much!!

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
    I apologize in advance if this should've been asked in the Quick Questions thread, I thought it may be better to post it here since it requires a reasonable amount of knowledge of the RNG.

I've just recently got into RNG manipulation in Black and White, and after great success using it to get flawless wild Pokemon, I decided to try my hand at RNGing bred Pokemon.

So, I have my seed, I know my starting frame and everything. The frame I want to hit is 84 for my flawless HP Ice Rotom. After doing a few test runs I decide that I need to chatter 23 times to hit the correct frame, so I do so. Except, I end up hitting frame 83. I try chattering 24 times, expecting to hit 84, and instead hit frame 85. I have been at this for hours to no avail, the game just skips right over my frame no matter what I try. I am at a complete loss as of what to do, does anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?

If at all possible I'd like to continue using the same seed since it took me a while to find it.

Thank you very much!!
    It's the wandering NPCs. If you don't pause the game fast enough, they'll mess up your starting frame. Same goes for exiting the menu and talking to the daycare man. You need to button mash "X" to bring up the menu when the game loads. Do your frame advancements. Exit the menu and immediately start button mashing "X" to talk to the man before any NPCs can move. Also, the NPCs will be in different positions every time you save, so a calibrated frame for one save will not necessarily be the same for the other.

Years
    By "starting frame", do you mean the frame that you're on right when you enter the game? As in, did you enter game, immediately obtain your egg, and find your frame based on that egg?
    Or do you mean your shifted started frame (SSF)? In case you don't know, the SSF is the frame you're on if you enter the game and Chatter once. Apparently, Chattering based on your SSF (rather than on your "regular" starting frame) yields more consistent results, but I've never used anything but the SSF so I don't know how that works.

Otherwise, I would simply suggest entering the game, going to another area and coming back, and then saving and repeating the process.

Are you concerned with your Rotom being shiny? If not, to find non-shiny seeds easier, use this modified version of RNGReporter. It won't distinguish between shiny and non-shiny eggs for BW. I've used it 6 times, all were predicted and successful.

I found my starting frame by hitting the seed while in Giant Chasm, then checking the IVs of the Pokemon I caught. Oh! I actually didn't know that. I'll try that out and see if it yields a more accurate result. Thanks! I think that's the one I'm using, since it's not coming up with the shiny eggs only. Thank you so much for your advice!! I feel so new at this, haha.

It's the wandering NPCs. If you don't pause the game fast enough, they'll mess up your starting frame. Same goes for exiting the menu and talking to the daycare man. You need to button mash "X" to bring up the menu when the game loads. Do your frame advancements. Exit the menu and immediately start button mashing "X" to talk to the man before any NPCs can move. Also, the NPCs will be in different positions every time you save, so a calibrated frame for one save will not necessarily be the same for the other.

Thanks :) yeah, those darn NPCs are being a right pain. I think I'll try saving and seeing if they're any better on a different save, perhaps I just got a tad unlucky on this one. Off I go to see if I can fair any better!

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
    I found my starting frame by hitting the seed while in Giant Chasm, then checking the IVs of the Pokemon I caught. Oh! I actually didn't know that. I'll try that out and see if it yields a more accurate result. Thanks! I think that's the one I'm using, since it's not coming up with the shiny eggs only. Thank you so much for your advice!! I feel so new at this, haha.

Thanks :) yeah, those darn NPCs are being a right pain. I think I'll try saving and seeing if they're any better on a different save, perhaps I just got a tad unlucky on this one. Off I go to see if I can fair any better!

That won't really matter. What you did wrong is you found your starting frame via the giant chasm. You need to save in front of the daycare man, hit your seed, pause and unpause the game, collect the egg and hatch it, and then use its IVs, nature, ability and gender to find your starting frame. Because of the NPCs, you need to do this every time you breed something. It's tedious, but it's the least frustrating way to get it done.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It should've been in Quick Questions, yes. Despite the title saying "Quick", well, it's... for questions that aren't exactly quick and are perhaps complicated too. XD

Either way it seems that the other posters have worked out what you did wrong, so going to lock this. If you're still confused, then yeah, Quick Questions it the way to go :)
    Somewhat complex RNG question

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back