• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sprite Shops

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
  • Axel said:
    I personally would rather see sprite shops gone. When they disappeared, all of those sigs overly cluttered with those pointless pixels disappeared as well, thus reducing the time it took to load a page by like half, since so many people liked to put 5-10 of them in their sigs. >>
    Agreed. And also reducing the number of signatures being edited due to rule-breaking, I think..

Yameneko - yes, a rule is a rule. So? It doesn't mean people obey it. We have very reasonable rules about signatures; it takes so little time to read them, and so many people don't. @_@ Besides, sprites are little. One on its own isn't a problem. It's the many people who had rows and rows of sprites that were the problem.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to edit those rows of taggaged sprites out of their signature? xD.

Gengazard -
    people whom's life was made to sprite for help and for fun

There are people who spend every hour of their life spriting...? o.O Besides, we're not the only forum on the 'net, y'know...

Colonel Mustang - please read the thread and its replies before posting. You often will repeat or state the obvious, or ask a question answered previously, if you don't. ^_^

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    It was due to n00bs why Sprite Comics Closed. They littered the place with things like: 'Li3k, This is well good, lollzers! I wellLi3k dat 1 can i adupt it? n b4 any1asks i luv that one init!' That caused me to loose my cool a few times, but the Mods need first, to be stricter with any Obvious n00b. Then they need helping by us memebrs also. The report button is there for a purpose too.

Joining sprite comics brought a lot of memebrs together as a community. It has nothing to do with this thread, but it led to the Revolution.

Now that led to people advertising about 20 forims which cluttered signatures. To go with that, they added some crappy sprite/Banner which was miles to big. That led to the signature rule.

Oh well... I could go on, but I have too strong an argument for the rule. and too much respect for the Moderators.

So I'll just shut up.

Tara14241

Only talent: Geekiness
    Years
  • (Off-Topic: Long post ahead)

I too had a sprite shop. It wasn't that good, but I really have too much time. It was nice seeing people happy after I made them a sprite. Hiyori-chan (forgive me if I misspelled your name), you're complaining about rows and rows of sprites in signiatures if the sprite shops ever open again, right? I remember a forum which had a topic for posting useless things that members didn't have room for. If you did that, most likely, you'll see that go down.

I agree with the idea of giving sprite shops its own forum and giving them no post count. It will be nice for those of us who has no life. Spriting helps everyone. I mean, it helps the sprite shop owner with getting their spriting abilities better, it makes the other person happy, and also helps those who makes games (if they actually ASK for permission first).

I mean, if no one does sprite shops and all that, then you'll start to see games with less "new" pokemon and those who does have "new" pokemon are overusing sprites everyone has seen before, if not using sprites which, for the lack of a better term, balantly suck.

I understand it's up to the admins, but I do know that at least one person will completely leave this forum if the sprite shops stay gone. And that one person will be me. I have a feeling I'm not the only one, but who knows.

I know I could find some other site that has the same stuff as this one, maybe one that has more. Having a site is a competetive business and if you have less stuff as the next site, your site will eventually die.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just from experience. I understand that you did what you did because of spammers. People could always report the double post or spamming and you could always have a rule for sprites in people's sigs. But, like I said earlier, it's all up to the admin(s).

Kylie-chan

Years
  • Tara14241 said:
    (Off-Topic: Long post ahead)

I too had a sprite shop. It wasn't that good, but I really have too much time. It was nice seeing people happy after I made them a sprite. Hiyori-chan (forgive me if I misspelled your name), you're complaining about rows and rows of sprites in signiatures if the sprite shops ever open again, right? I remember a forum which had a topic for posting useless things that members didn't have room for. If you did that, most likely, you'll see that go down.
    Not really. People want sprites in their sigs, apparently.

I mean, if no one does sprite shops and all that, then you'll start to see games with less "new" pokemon and those who does have "new" pokemon are overusing sprites everyone has seen before, if not using sprites which, for the lack of a better term, balantly suck.
    People can sprite for themselves, and people recruit spriters. Besides, I haven't seen too many miracle workers here with pixels, to be honest...

I understand it's up to the admins, but I do know that at least one person will completely leave this forum if the sprite shops stay gone. And that one person will be me. I have a feeling I'm not the only one, but who knows.

I know I could find some other site that has the same stuff as this one, maybe one that has more. Having a site is a competetive business and if you have less stuff as the next site, your site will eventually die.
    Not really. PC isn't only based upon spriters.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just from experience. I understand that you did what you did because of spammers. People could always report the double post or spamming and you could always have a rule for sprites in people's sigs. But, like I said earlier, it's all up to the admin(s).
    I didn't think you were being mean. ^_^; And, yes, they were reported. And we have rules. Like I said before, they just weren't obeyed.

Sorry if this makes, like, no sense, or comes across as snappy. It's 2:15 AM.

Yameneko549

Eat hammer!
    Years
  • Hiyori-chan said:
    Yameneko - yes, a rule is a rule. So? It doesn't mean people obey it. We have very reasonable rules about signatures; it takes so little time to read them, and so many people don't.

Trust me, that's no different from any other forum. You're rule are less restrictive than a certian other forum that I could name, but I won't because I might make the crybaby admin get angry and threaten me with a lawsuit. Can you tell I dislike him?

Hiyori-chan said:
    @_@ Besides, sprites are little. One on its own isn't a problem. It's the many people who had rows and rows of sprites that were the problem.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to edit those rows of taggaged sprites out of their signature? xD.

Aggreed, it a major problem, which is why rules are made to be adaptable. If you see a majority of people not following a certian rule, bump up the punishment. One strike not doing any damage? Raise it to two.

As for editing sigs, I sadly do know. I was once admin of a forum, though I did things a little differently. First, I'd PM the user about it, giving them a chance to edit it themselves. If they didn't do so within a week, I'd wipe the sig clean and leave a note stating the exact violation.

Hiyori-chan said:
    Sorry if this makes, like, no sense, or comes across as snappy. It's 2:15 AM.

Then get to bed. It's never a good sign if your forum life interferes with your sleep.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • The Spriting Section of PC is most definately better off without Sprite Shops. Period.

I can understand Sprite Shops being fun for many people, however, the amount of clutter and mindless SPAM was out of control. As long as there are n00bs on PC, there will be SPAM. SPAM will never be completely eradicated, but this doesn't mean that the Staff should stop taking steps to prevent as much as possible. Cutting Sprite Shops improved PC in various facets, and bringing them back would be idiotic. I know there are still spriters out there that take requests through PM, so it's not like requesting can't still be done. I strongly support the decision to do away with Sprite Shops, and I believe it would be a major mistake to restore them to the Spriting Section of PC.

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Now...Megafuz Speaks the Truth.

1. n00bs are Bad. Throw stones at them.
    2. People still do secret Requests. I know they do. Why? Because I do requests through PM. Have a go at me as you will, but when Im bored, there is nothing better to do than to play with pixels. I like seeing people say thank you, and being happy that their prodject, whether it be a Game or Comic, can go further. For Example, take Pokemon: Anime Adventure in the Games Development section. Those Spites are my Freetime.

I rest My Case, Im going on the Trampoline :p!!!

Years
  • A comment about leaving because of this: If the shops had been left to stay, then there would've been people leaving anyways (I believe there were a few that left because of them, or were thinking of leaving) because of how their (non-shop) threads that they put time into were totally ignored. Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where, no matter what decision is made, it will cause some people to be unhappy. :/ Unless there was a subforum for things like that, but... *shrug* I couldn't say exactly what would happen, then.

And just to add onto another comment made...
    MegaFuz said:
    I know there are still spriters out there that take requests through PM, so it's not like requesting can't still be done.
    Indeed. The Pixel Art rules apply only to the forum itself, and not to PMs - so if a game or hack maker saw someone whose sprites they liked, all they would have to do is PM that person and ask them about things. I don't think games would start to stagnate when it comes to new pokemon just because of a lack of shops.

Kylie-chan

Years
  • Yameneko549 said:
    Trust me, that's no different from any other forum. You're rule are less restrictive than a certian other forum that I could name, but I won't because I might make the crybaby admin get angry and threaten me with a lawsuit. Can you tell I dislike him?
    That forum's not PC. Don't compare, please.

Aggreed, it a major problem, which is why rules are made to be adaptable. If you see a majority of people not following a certian rule, bump up the punishment. One strike not doing any damage? Raise it to two.
    I think the rule we have now dealt with it far better than punishing even more strictly. Haha, I love how members tell us to be more strict and then when we do we get flamed for being dictators in progress.

As for editing sigs, I sadly do know. I was once admin of a forum, though I did things a little differently. First, I'd PM the user about it, giving them a chance to edit it themselves. If they didn't do so within a week, I'd wipe the sig clean and leave a note stating the exact violation.
    Oh? We happen to do that [minus the PMing], only we do it a lot more quickly because we kill the problem from the start. It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to read the rules. You should know if your signature breaches the rules.

Then get to bed. It's never a good sign if your forum life interferes with your sleep.
    I should really be ignoring that. Actually, I don't usually stay up that late. I couldn't sleep.

Maneachicken said:
    1. n00bs are Bad. Throw stones at them.
    2. People still do secret Requests. I know they do. Why? Because I do requests through PM. Have a go at me as you will, but when Im bored, there is nothing better to do than to play with pixels. I like seeing people say thank you, and being happy that their prodject, whether it be a Game or Comic, can go further. For Example, take Pokemon: Anime Adventure in the Games Development section. Those Spites are my Freetime.
    That's your business if you want to do secret requests. We don't want to kill spriting. We want to kill rule-breaking.

x_x

Back