• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Starters"

Jemzx

Guardian Trainer
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    LOL Beldum, Larvitar, Dratini, that's the starters I put once in my hacked game...

Well, I think people should be original when choosing starters, like for example:

tyrogue, castform, keckleon...

And personally I'm sick of the triangle...

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Steel/Ice/Dragon is almost a perfect triangle, exept that ice isn't resistant to dragon. unless type effectiveness can be changed in a hack...?

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
  • The games I've been working on (A Trio of closely-related games) each have three Pokemon based on the name of the game (DewDrop, for example, has 3 water pokemon), which makes each game stand out. Of course, that's not the only difference.

But, really, I think they should make a game where you get a totally random Pokemon from the prof.'s office as a starter.

Years
  • I like the starter tieing in with the storyline would get people hooked to advancing the storyline.

How about a Bug starter? your rival could have to counterpart Bug type (like Weedle and Caterpie) There movesetz wouldn't be fun, but that could be edited. They evolve early also.

The three Johto starters are the basic starters i go off on for hacks, but I like the Dratini, Larivatar, Bagon concept also. Beldum would be a good starter i think, but it needs some new moves before evolution to be a starter.

Years
  • ^That starter type will get many people to make trades... cause people want all 3 ;)

In the hack i'm working on you will be able to complete your pokedex without trades. Therefore i'm disabling the trading service until you've beaten the elite 4.
    Else trading is just as bad as cheating imo... As soon as you get the badge that they obey to lvl 70, you could trade legendaries and loose all challenge... Then you get the earthbadge and you can trade over some lvl 100. No fun imo...

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2014
    I think that no matter which starters you choose, they should have two evolutions. Beyond that, everything else is pretty much in the air. Eevee is fine by me too since I believe in the original Yellow version, your rival gets an eevee after you get a pikachu.

I do prefer hacks that have a triangle, but that's probably because it feels a little weird to me if your hack deviates from 4 generations of Grass-Fire-Water starters.

It would be pretty cool to have more than the usual 3 choices for starters though.

Years
  • I think that no matter which starters you choose, they should have two evolutions. Beyond that, everything else is pretty much in the air. Eevee is fine by me too since I believe in the original Yellow version, your rival gets an eevee after you get a pikachu.

I do prefer hacks that have a triangle, but that's probably because it feels a little weird to me if your hack deviates from 4 generations of Grass-Fire-Water starters.

It would be pretty cool to have more than the usual 3 choices for starters though.

Not a bad idea to have more then 3 starters to choose from. Just like there's triangles there's squares, there's some on serebii i believe. I think they even foundsome upto 6 types. If you can choose from 6 starters, nearly everybody will be able to pick a type he really enjoys playing with.
    Wouldn't that be something :D.
    There's many ways to go from that concept... Like choosing 2 or 3 starters for you and your opponent. Then you can try working on a balanced team right from the start!

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • I honestly don't mind what Starters a game offers.
    I mean the original G/W/F triangle is great but that doesn't make the game.
    I have two rules when it comes to starters:

1. No legendaries (There a treat for the end, not the begining).
    2. Only first forms unless they have pre-evos.

Back