• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starting a rom hack

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2024
    I am new to rom hacking and i had an idea of what i wanted to do. I want to make a rom hack based on being a gym leader and needing to help defeat a bad organization throughout the story.
    it wont be very long, and you will be able to battle other leaders of the region.

i dont exactly know what i want as features. im not an advanced rom hacker, i more enjoy mapping as opposed to scripting. i like writing basis of stories too, i have a few ideas but i dont want to make it too hard on myself as a first hack.

i was thinking a few things i could try
    - maybe at the start you can select which type of gym leader u wanna be based off the starter you choose, but then you can only catch pokemon with that typing, to keep it themed to be a gym leader.
    - i want to make it seem like ur a new leader that just came out and are just starting a gym so throughout the game you will have to go back to your gym to accept challenges, and maybe to ensure your future as a gym leader you have to do something at the league (idk thought it might be cool)
    - if possible i wanna be able to add a little customization to the gym (or at least make the gym you own change based on your type)
    - i have a layout of the region almost all made already (im going to add a secret fight with red) maybe i should add other characters we encountered through our pokemon journeys over the years, maybe they can come in as challengers via side quests or something

idk if anyone would play this, i think its a fun idea and ive always wanted to play something like this. people can help out if they want to my discord is rocko#1203 i just am still learning how to rom hack so im gonna try and make a little rom hack first, a little test one if you may. as a little project to get my mind based on how to rom hack (i want to make one where you're red going through mt silver and when u get to the top, ethan comes and battles you instead of you battling red, ive always thought it would be a cool idea to be able to play as red through johto and stuff, but thats another idea for another day)

i just wanted somewhere to post my thoughts cuz i think a lot about rom hacking but i dont know how to script or program so its hard to get through the learning curve. i also wanted to see what people think of my ideas and see what they have to add :D

Back