• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

starting to play again....

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    hey all.
    i haven't really bought any cards for a long time.
    i'm wondering which of the recent sets would be good to buy boosters in.
    also, which preconstructed decks would be worth the money to get? i need to stock up on some r/s/e generation pokemon sets. also, i generally need energy cards in the area of electric, dark, and steel.

thanks.

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
    Well, I think you should try and get some hidden legend booster packs, you can find some very good pokemon and trainers in there.
    But for a precontructed deck, hmmm....not sure about that.

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    I would say it depends on what what your meta is and what do you like and want to play. The list is changing all of the time so mabye best to get the latest sets. Not. Hidden Legends.

Delta Species EX is good to get in some cases.

Years
    Yeah, I've been trying to get back into the TCG again as well. I remember when boosters were only $2.99 and all the star rarities were holo cards. But yeah, it sucks that all the old cards were banned, it seems like they're a lot stronger and more efficient than the new generations.

Anyway, my question is, what't the best way to get energy now? It doesn't seem like the boosters come with energy anymore... I'm really in need of Electric, Psychic, Reaction, Metal, and Darkness.

And the other question I had is that I read that POP events disallow wagers to be placed. Is this strictly enforced, and in leagues or some other tournaments (haven't looked to see if tournaments are organized through these forums yet), because for other games, it's very fun to place small side bets on the outcome of a match with your opponent.

Phazon Elite

I see "Add Men" is censored.
    Years
    You can find Basic Energies in any Pre-constructed theme deck.

React Energies can be found, in pairs, in the Legend Maker Pre-con decks.

Dark and Metal Energies can be found in dumpsters and in stacks of commons(I think they have been reprinted in around half of the recent sets). If you ever happen to come to our little Salem, Oregon Pokemon League(Unlimited Format PWNage), I will give you four of each Dark and Metal Energy(I only have around twenty of each).

Also, I am almost positive that POP disallows wagers to be placed on games.

Years
    Hmm.. unless there's some place that says your location in the profile, it's a pretty good coincidence that you're in Salem. I live in Tualatin (little south of Portland), so it'd be entirely possible for me to drive down there sometime. If I'm ever there for an SSBM tournament or want a good battle with your league, I'll be sure to swing by with a couple people from up here. I haven't joined yet, but the one up here is at Ancient Wonders in Tualatin, where does the league you belong to meet?

Yeah, so I'll have to buy some pre-con decks ad look through the common card boxes for some of those other energies.

Another question though, my friend and I were arguing abou this earlier. It used to be in the old rules, any card that gave you energy was an energy, and nothing distinguished between energy and special energy. But since the rules say you can only lay only basic energy down at a time, does that mean you could lay down a basic energy and then a special energy (ie. double colorless, rainbow, or I guess one of the new react or whatever)?

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2007
    I'm getting back in aswell. I have lots of new cards, and made my deck, but I think you should try and get some EX Emerald decks or boosters. There really good. And you can find Holo energies!

Tormentedsoul14

lafonte FTW!
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2007
    If you want to get energy the best way is to go to a pre-release. As for packs there really isnt a specific pack to buy. My suggestion would be to buy a little of each of these packs (these are for the modified format since thats what all of the major tournaments are):
    EX Deoxys
    EX Emerald
    EX Unseen Forces
    EX Delta Species
    EX Legend Maker
    EX Holon Phantom
    EX Crystal Guardians (Aug 24 I think)

Back