• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stereotyped Pokemon

TrainerShane

The Planner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    I liked Lt. Surge. In the games, it wasn't as if he was saying, "WAR IS SO AWESOME AND GLORIOUS, I LOVE WAR AND COCA COLA AND McDONALDS! AND WAR!". I did not see anything offensive in his character, to be perfectly frank, unless you somehow manage to find military personnel offensive by the very nature of their existence.

Wooguru looks awesome and if it is supposed to be a nod to the United States, then the game will be imbalanced because it will be the strongest of all non-legendary Pokemon and will be totally awesome.XD

But no, I don't see anything offensive here in the slightest in regards to the good Lieutenant or Wooguru.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I liked Lt. Surge. In the games, it wasn't as if he was saying, "WAR IS SO AWESOME AND GLORIOUS, I LOVE WAR AND COCA COLA AND McDONALDS! AND WAR!". I did not see anything offensive in his character, to be perfectly frank, unless you somehow manage to find military personnel offensive by the very nature of their existence.

Wooguru looks awesome and if it is supposed to be a nod to the United States, then the game will be imbalanced because it will be the strongest of all non-legendary Pokemon and will be totally awesome.XD

But no, I don't see anything offensive here in the slightest in regards to the good Lieutenant or Wooguru.
    neither do I. Though I don't think Wooguru will be a Pseudo :P

TrainerShane

The Planner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    neither do I. Though I don't think Wooguru will be a Pseudo :P

Same here, but if it is based on the US, then it would still have incredible stats! In fact, I think unleashing a lvl. 100 Wooguru itself would cause the world to end due to incredible win.

About the Good Lieutenant, the only thing I dislike is the hair. Unbecoming of a military man.:P

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Same here, but if it is based on the US, then it would still have incredible stats! In fact, I think unleashing a lvl. 100 Wooguru itself would cause the world to end due to incredible win.

About the Good Lieutenant, the only thing I dislike is the hair. Unbecoming of a military man.:P
    Haha, they might make a China bird in gen 6 that tops Wooguru :P

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I think stereotype is a word a little bit too strong for what we have here. Sure you can say that the eagle is based on American motives, but that's as far as you can go. Any further is honestly an exaggeration.
    So if it happens to learn Bounce, is it going to be about America's recession?
    If it learns Drill Peck, is it going to be "hiddenly related" to illegal oil drilling?
    If it learns Covet/Knock off/Thief... don't wanna go there :p

It's a fun debate but let's just hope it doesn't get blown out of proportion by some groups, because then we'll have another Jynx here, and the color scheme will be unnecessarily changed.

As an American who initially offended by Wooguru, this is the best post in the thread! xD cracked me up!

By the way, BP is not our fault so if anyone was to be related to oil drilling it's not us!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    I don't find much sterotyping in any of these pokemon really.... But I really want a Wooguru xD

Years
    I pull off an epic facepalm every darn time some n00b brings up "Offensive Stereotypes" existing in pokemon. Stop being an easily offended person, grow up and get some common sense. Oh, and don't forget a sense of humor too.

your comment is win.

relating to the jynx fiasco, one idiot got offended, over something they obviously didnt understand, sued somebody else, and now jynx is purple. that better not happen to wooguru.

Wooguru is my favorite gen poke so far, its pretty awesome. i like how it blends the two america's- todays america (the bald eagle) with the war headress (native american)

hopefully it will learn U-Turn... hint hint haha XD

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I am aware of the thread topic and I don't believe I've said anything about political correctness, only attributes to stereotypes which cause controversy.

My original standpoint is still that even though a Pokemon resembles something, doesn't mean it represents it.

As for the "make up a stereotype" of your argument -- You absolutely can. As long as there's something being attributed to another thing, anyone viewing it from any standpoint can then generalize. That's playing off the basic definition. It's still going to be a stereotype, but maybe not to you. As long as something has a special meaning or value about something else, can be construed in that way, and has a person or group who believes it to be "standard," then something in a "stereotype." Furthermore, I still have a problem with "stereotype" as a word, since it's subjective and one thing could be a stereotype to one group of people but not to another.

- - - - - - - - -

EDIT

And if you want me to extrapolate, well, almost all stereotypes are generalizations. Moreover, I think it's a bit silly to debate over it, but my first example of being a hippo wasn't that yawning bubbles was the stereotype, but that Hippopotas was a stereotype for hippopotamuses in general (it very well is because it takes the form of a hippopotamus and shares its moniker as set forth into definition by human perception and taxonomy) and that the yawning bubbles was a created, but misperceived and therefore "derogatory" remark.

You could just make a stereotype, but it would be like making up a new word that only you use. There's nothing official to say what is or isn't an English word, so technically it would be. Just no one would care. In other words, the hippopotamus stereotype analogy just doesn't work.

stereotype n.
    1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
    2. A person who is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

You're sort of thinking of 'generalisation', not stereotype, anyway.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I don't understand why people are getting offended over a game intended for children. It's not as if the developers said, "oh, hey, how about we offend people by making an Eagle representing America?" because they're not stupid.

If you can get offended over this, I'm struggling to see how you'd survive in the real world.

And clearly Snorlax isn't based off of Americans, because Snorlax is cool. Just kidding.

Last edited:

TrainerShane

The Planner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    your comment is win.

relating to the jynx fiasco, one idiot got offended, over something they obviously didnt understand, sued somebody else, and now jynx is purple. that better not happen to wooguru.

Wooguru is my favorite gen poke so far, its pretty awesome. i like how it blends the two america's- todays america (the bald eagle) with the war headress (native american)

hopefully it will learn U-Turn... hint hint haha XD

Even if I were the easily offended type, I actually wouldn't be offended by Wooguru. He looks awesome and I don't see anything disrespectful.

The Jynx fiasco was idiotic. But if I were an idiot who was easily offended, I can see how I may get offended. Now thankfully I am not an idiot and the idiot part of that equation is extremely important.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years

They didn't actually sue, but yes it was one person. There are many, many reasons this wouldn't happen to Wooguru:

1. Pokémon isn't mainstream anymore. So no one cares if one random person gets offended. It won't be appearing in every second newspaper and magazine.
    2. Americans are (sadly) an acceptable target, unlike (the sub-group) African-Americans.
    3. It isn't even an offensive stereotype.
    4. No one seems to be even able to decipher Pokémon names (to find it is named after war), until they are told about them being portmanteaus. Meaning non-Pokemon fans probably wouldn't even notice.
    5. The same as 1. since that needs to be reinforced.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Personally, I'm glad to see Wooguru's Native American-ish head-feathers, being Native I don't find this offensive. If anything, Wooguru is a symbol of respect for Americans, It would be different if they were mocking Americans/Native Americans.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    You could just make a stereotype, but it would be like making up a new word that only you use. There's nothing official to say what is or isn't an English word, so technically it would be. Just no one would care. In other words, the hippopotamus stereotype analogy just doesn't work.

You're sort of thinking of 'generalisation', not stereotype, anyway.

It was a long-shot hypothetical statement. Admittedly, it was a bit out there since I wanted the most random example I could think of. Though, I wasn't wrong in saying that Hippopotas is a stereotype for hippopotamuses, since -- and I'm still going to stand by this -- a stereotype consists of several things:

(1) a group which recognizes it
    (2) an object to stereotype
    (3) a standardized image regarding its attributes or image

stereotype n.
    1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
    2. A person who is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

By your definition, a stereotype still IS a generalization because it is a "conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified" thing. It takes the attributes of one thing and generalizes it to other things of the same category. If a group of things follows a "convention" or a "formula," then they are the same, therefore a "generalization." If you "generalize" something, then you "oversimplify" it.

The second definition isn't exactly relephant elephant either, since that's more of a sociological thing where one embodies a stereotype -- it's one of those words which has retrospective definitions grounded in its own definition only. It would have been more apt to say "2. a person or thing embodying a stereotype," but you can't use the same word in its own definition.

generalize v. (object)
    1. to infer (a general principle, trend, etc.) from particular facts, statistics, or the like.
    2. to infer or form (a general principle, opinion, conclusion, etc.) from only a few facts, examples, or the like.
    3. to give a general rather than a specific or special character or form to.
    4. to make general; bring into general use or knowledge.

The key definitions are the third and fourth, in which a "general," or nonspecific, all-encompassing, dare-I-say "conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified" quality is given to something. And if you're still worried about the wording of "conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified," well if a group of things is thought to have all the same attributes, is it not "conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified"? There's conformism, so yes it is. It's formulaic in the same reason -- things in the category in which the generalization is displayed are thought to be in the same "formula." That is, their qualities are the same (and I will refrain from repeating this sentence once again to show the similarity between it and stereotype). The oversimplification is simply the idea that there are no unique characteristics to individual bodies within the group, which sounds pretty much like generalization to me.

Furthermore, I still like Dictionary.com's definition a whole lot more;

stereotype n. Sociology
    a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group:

Because, you're right. A stereotype has no meaning without a group to believe in or enforce it. "Standardized" is just another word for "generalized." They both involve an idea of universality and acceptance within the grander scheme. The only real difference is that "standardized" falls more into the "formulaic" category, whereas "generalized" falls more into "oversimplified." I feel that both fit the "conventional" part spot on, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    Even if I were the easily offended type, I actually wouldn't be offended by Wooguru. He looks awesome and I don't see anything disrespectful.

The Jynx fiasco was idiotic. But if I were an idiot who was easily offended, I can see how I may get offended. Now thankfully I am not an idiot and the idiot part of that equation is extremely important.

exactly i agree completly.

and to what somebody else said, i think pokemon is safe (mostly) because it isnt technically mainstream anymore. but still, all it would take is one person who gets offended, not nesseceraly from Wooguru, and if they feel strongly about it, they'll make a bunch of noise

knook

Standing on the Sun
    Years
    *imagines the topic-writer clutching at straws*

Ha... Funny how relevant this can be, just to prove it, I'll use the same logic but I'll say that it's a Scottish Pokémon.

1) The Golden Eagle is native to Scotland (It's worth noting that this thing looks a hell of a lot more like a Golden Eagle than a Bald Eagle but who am I to judge)
    2) The headdress thing... Just... No.
    3) The majority of the Eagle's front is Blue, the main colour of the Scottish flag, with accents of white (much like the Scottish flag). The back of the Eagle is red and Red, White and Blue are the colours of the United Kingdom. (Whilst I'm on the point, the colours red, white and blue are in a lot of flags, it's not an American thing - This Pokémon could also be French! That'd be cool).
    4) If you know anything about the Barbarians, then you'll know the Scottish have a very war-centric History and the British Army is pretty much the best in the world - and we're damn good at not hitting our own troops too, but that's more of a personal dig ;)

Only the Gym Leaders ever have that kind of idea built into them, this is just overzealous analysis leading to a conclusion which was never supposed to be drawn.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    In the case of Woogeru I think you guys might just be seeing what you want to see.

Sure it's a bald eagle with an Indian headdress on, but I think that's where it ends. The 'blue' you guys want to see could just be instead of black, that makes sprites look very heavy, it's much more grey than blue. Leaving only a tiny bit of blue on the head and tail feathers.

There's also a yellow band on the tail, which I don't think would be there if it was all about America.

Simply put, GameFreak have picked an animal and taken something from it's habitat to make it interesting.

----

Also you could add Fantina to the list of stereotypes, she is quite stereotypically French in the English version of the anime.

wolfaru

Needs an easier hobby
    Years
    Seeing this discussion I'd hate to see a debate over Axis Powers Hetalia and it's stereotypes...

For the luls let's say Wooguru is supposed to be coloured after the Russian flag, Does that make it any less awesome looking? No! Would I still spam use it in Black and White? F Yeah!

Just because people get their undies in a bunch because of something that's probably not true doesn't change anything really. It's just people turning ant-hills into Mt. Everest.

Back