• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stopping Evolution For the Sake of Stats?

Years
  • To jokingly spite one of my friends, I declared that I was going to catch a wild level 4 Kakuna and Metapod and train each of them up until 99 before letting them finally evolve at 100.

My idea was that logically (in my mind, at least) that I would have a couple of bug type pokemon with greater defenses than that of either Beedrill or Butterfree at the same level.

Would this actually be the case or would the leveling up to their full evolutions just provide a larger...I don't know, budget, I guess you could say, for stat gains?

I just realized that before I actually go any further with this plan (already at level 38 with the Metapod, haven't touched the Kakuna yet), I'd probably do best to actually confirm in whether my semi-insane idea is actually worth the effort.

If versions of the game have anything to do with the design of how this works (doubtful but just in case....), I'm using the original red game.

Thank you for your time.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • The game version actually does matter because the EV and IV thing works differently in Generation 1 (it was before the introduction of Natures).

Overall though, I think that your plan would work, to have their defence reach higher than any other Beedrill or Butterfree of the same level, but at the same time you're sacrificing things like Special Attack, which would be Butterfree's specialty.

Years
  • Alrighty then, thank you very much for the info. And for the special attack, I'm not too worried as they're going straight to my silly/joke team.

Once I get some spare money, I was planning on getting a newer handheld so I could get one of two new releases *anyway*, but that's not for a while yet. When I do, however, I guess I'll be looking at those Natures you briefly mentioned.

Good stuff, and thank you once again.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • It wouldn't work. Pokemon's stats aren't added on, they're recalculated upon leveling from their base stats. That's why Scyther loses speed on evolution to Scizor. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked from the very beginning, but you might wanna check anyway.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • It wouldn't work. Pokemon's stats aren't added on, they're recalculated upon leveling from their base stats. That's why Scyther loses speed on evolution to Scizor. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked from the very beginning, but you might wanna check anyway.

^qft

You can easily verify this by letting your metapod/kakuna evolve at their proper level and see that they'll lose their impressive defense anyway. The same would happen at every level.

Not to mention how pathetic their movepools will be if you evolve them at lv.100. XD

Years
  • ^qft

You can easily verify this by letting your metapod/kakuna evolve at their proper level and see that they'll lose their impressive defense anyway. The same would happen at every level.

Not to mention how pathetic their movepools will be if you evolve them at lv.100. XD

Now I feel silly for having asked the question when I could have just gotten a second of one of the two and just went along them equally for comparison.

Either way though, again, they're going to be part of my joke team so it's not like the moves are all that concerning. Good to know for future reference, though.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I don't do it for stats. I do it if I like that pokemon better than it's evolution.

Years
  • Actually, just realized something in regards to stat levelling in general. From what I am trying to understand how bulbapedia explains it, the supplements such as carbos, calcium and the others are more beneficial when used on lower level pokemon?

Figure maybe I might want to start over on the metapod and be thankful I haven't touched the kakuna yet so then I can get better results.

Clarity, please?

Back