• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggested Graphic Designing Program

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • Actually, even though I'm a big fan of Open-Source, I still agree with Twiggy.
    The GIMP only works good on Linux with the Gnome or Xfce Desktop Environment.
    On KDE, Windows, and Mac, it either runs like ****, or doesn't run at all.
    Besides, The GIMP is a huge bloatware, needlessly heavy.
    Why do you think then I prefer Seashore over The GIMP?

For the Mac users who want to try out Seashore: http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_Seashore_Project/About.html
    I don't know why people keep bringing up GIMP. I didn't even mention it until other people brought it up. I certainly didn't recommend it, I just provided a list of free software alternatives to products like Photoshop. GIMP was on that list, but it certainly wasn't the only application on it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I mainly use Photoshop Elements 8, which came with my drawing tablet. I used GIMP for a while and I thought it was okay for freeware, but it froze on startup regularly.

And for vectors, I use Inkscape, which I'm still pretty bad at.

Years
  • I really like Photoshop, but it's tough to get the hang of. I don't even know all of the features, but it's really good for what I use it for.

MS Paint will always hold a spot in my heart, though.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Actually, most graphic designers in the working world (at least in my part of the world) use and prefer Illustrator and even InDesign over Photoshop. I think it's a bit of a strange generalization people make on the internet, because for some reason everyone and their grandmother on internet forums and other online communities uses Photoshop for icons. I'm not really saying that that's something to be criticized for, though. But if you're interested in using it for the real world, I highly suggest focusing your efforts on Illustrator or InDesign prior to using Photoshop (which you should obviously gain experience for) and focusing your first ditch efforts on logo design and brand development. Every professional I've seen uses Adobe, so I recommend focusing on those rather than cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Of course, it does depend on the kind of design you're doing. Illustrator is good for things like icons, logo design, vectors, and so on. Photoshop is better if you're working with the manipulation of photography, or creating effects with an image. This is more often seen in the music industry on album covers, flyers, and so on. I would put equal weight on both Photoshop and Illustrator, while I would usually use InDesign for finalization for print. The only reason these programs aren't all in one package is just due to Adobe seizing the chance to make more money, which is exactly why they created the Edge suite, which is rather "meh". As I say though, it really does depend on what you're doing as a designer. From experience of working in design firms, people tend to play to their strengths on clients. There were people more versed with Photoshop than others who were more comfortable with Illustrator, so we would swap projects, or collaborate, depending on the workload.

Ace is right though, you're best off focusing on Adobe, bothering with cheaper alternatives (unless you're going down the graphic art route, as opposed to design), is a deviation from industry standard, and bad practice really.

What twocows was saying about going with programs that you can manipulate yourself, which is what I think he's referring to? Has little to do with design. I'm someone who studies Programming as well as Design, but I wouldn't trade out any Adobe product for a program I can edit, because that wouldn't make my design approach any better. There's plenty of accessibility with Adobe products to improve your workflow, as well as plenty of documentation as well as ample plugins for an already extremely powerful suite of software. I've been using Adobe design products for near enough to 5 years now, I still have a lot to learn, and I've never been limited. Ever.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • What twocows was saying about going with programs that you can manipulate yourself, which is what I think he's referring to? Has little to do with design. I'm someone who studies Programming as well as Design, but I wouldn't trade out any Adobe product for a program I can edit, because that wouldn't make my design approach any better. There's plenty of accessibility with Adobe products to improve your workflow, as well as plenty of documentation as well as ample plugins for an already extremely powerful suite of software. I've been using Adobe design products for near enough to 5 years now, I still have a lot to learn, and I've never been limited. Ever.
    That's one of the benefits, sure. There's also often a better feedback process for free software, and often times there are large communities built around popular free software (though this latter point is true of Adobe as well). Plus, trying out free libre software is usually also free gratis.

If you're happy with Adobe software, that's fine. My recommendation was more for people who are starting out; you might find something you like on the list I provided, and free software also has many of its own benefits.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • Well, I just had to use my old Photoshop CS5 Disc on my Tablet, as Nintendo only provides Plugins for Photoshop (and Maya and 3DS Max too, but that's a different story).
    For this, I had to re-install Windows 8.1 on it, as my old Windows installation got corrupted, and my Linux installation showed some random errors (have Internet, plug in Printer via USB, Internet gone, that kind of stuff).
    Meanwhile, I noticed how MSPaint became inaccurate now (single colour is no longer single colour).

Frokage

The legendary curse
    Years
  • It all depends on what you want to do, really.

As for myself, I use photoshop CS6 for most things. The layout is simple and easy enough to use after watching a tutorial on the basic use of tools. If you want to vector, then I recommend using Adobe Illustrator with a tablet. A bamboo pen and touch is relatively cheap and works wonders! Lightroom's probably the easiest if you want your pictures edited, and Sony Vegas Pro if you want to edit some videos. After Effects gets harder to work with, but once you get the hang of it, it's without a doubt the best overall tool to edit those specials in your videos and create you a nice intro. Last but not least, if you're looking for those 3D designs and shapes, Cinema 4D or C4D in short will most likely be your best call!

Also, a fellow designer friend uses this one program called SAI. I haven't used it myself, but the results he shows me are marvelous!

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • Sure, everything is simple after watching/reading Tutorials, Human Experience can do a lot of good to you, if you want to use it too.

For 3D, the best free tool is probably Blender.
    For the Games Industry, Maya is the big standard, although 3D Studio Max can be found frequently too.

However, I won't recommend you Sketchup at all, its GUI is so unclear, you just will have problems using it.
    At least, in my opinion, I hear many people saying Sketchup is the easiest one available.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • The GIMP only works good on Linux with the Gnome or Xfce Desktop Environment.
    On KDE, Windows, and Mac, it either runs like ****, or doesn't run at all.

Disagreed. I have a Mac and GIMP works well on it, not to mention it's relatively simple when you get used to it. Naturally I didn't know what to do with it straight away but it's not hard to grasp (and this is coming from someone who had never used any kind of art/editing program before).

Regardless, I recommend GIMP or SAI. Both are good.

Back