• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Super Pokémario World 🎮

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
    USING
    Made with Unity and coded in C# with MonoDevelop on PC

INTRODUCTION
    This is an action Pokemon game set in the platforming world of Mario.

STORY
    You play as a Pokemon for some reason...

FEATURES
    *randomly generated levels
    *simplified battle system

PROGRESS REPORT
    *rebuilding terrain generator
    *planning battle system
    *planning story
    *picking/adding Pokemon
    *sound effects

MEDIA
    Super Pokémario World 🎮

CREDITS
    monster sprite rips: Barubary (from spriter's resource)
    world sprite rips: Tetra Vega, Jum2004 (from spriter's resource)
    sprites slightly altered by me (\/ from pokecommunity)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    It's looking totally neat! Nice sprite and tiles!

I'm interested in the random level generation. Will every level be randomly generated, or what will be the rough ratio of randomly generated and hand-made levels?

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
    Years
    So it's a platformer, but with random encounters that lead to a traditional RPG battle? That's a sweet concept, and one I'd like to play. Good luck with the game!

How is development in Unity for a game like this anyway? I was always under the impression Unity couldn't handle 2D games very well.

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
    It's looking totally neat! Nice sprite and tiles!

I'm interested in the random level generation. Will every level be randomly generated, or what will be the rough ratio of randomly generated and hand-made levels?

Probably all of them will be random, except for special things like houses and gyms. There are also pipes that lead to underground randomly generated areas that vaguely resemble Spelunky. (At least they did until I broke the terrain generator{XD})

So it's a platformer, but with random encounters that lead to a traditional RPG battle? That's a sweet concept, and one I'd like to play. Good luck with the game!

How is development in Unity for a game like this anyway? I was always under the impression Unity couldn't handle 2D games very well.

I'm not sure if it will be a hybrid as you said, like Mario RPG/Paper Mario, or all action like Super Paper Mario. Right now you can see the enemies in the world, so its not completely random like Pokemon.

So far Unity seems fine, I don't have much game development experience to be honest so I'm not sure. They released a 2D toolkit recently.

This is pretty cool, will it be in browser or download?

I haven't decided yet, since its Unity it can be both. I even had it running on my Android phone!

MaskedDJ

【♫Forever Alone♫】‎
    Years
    OH God, i always love to play mario, so is this, <3 so how many pokemon do u planing to add on? like... can we choose our own char? can we form a team against EVIL?
    well looking foward to play this ^^

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
    I had an interesting idea, you could have a team of 6 pokemon (or gain more pokemon as you progress) and they act as continues, where if one pokemon should fall prey to an enemy, the next one would come out immediately, reducing the number of available pokemon (as one is now fainted) and different items throughout the level could be healing ones, or something like that
    iunno, I just saw this and the idea came to me, good luck though.

MaskedDJ

【♫Forever Alone♫】‎
    Years
    I think I had an idea for this, you should add everypokemon had it own skill instead of jump-killing like mario :) and the boss should as big as browzer ^^

Cosmic Fury

[color=red][I][css-div="font-size: 12px; font-vari
    Years
    About the randomized levels: will you be setting specific caps in each one so as not to make any levels un-passable? Suppose there's a big jump in front of you that you can't reach (or leap over), and the entrance is too far above you to do anything about it.

What sort of controls would you implement in such scenarios?

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
    OH God, i always love to play mario, so is this, <3 so how many pokemon do u planing to add on? like... can we choose our own char? can we form a team against EVIL?
    well looking foward to play this ^^

There will probably be at least 10, since there are 10 in another game I'm working on, which Pokemario is based on.

I had an interesting idea, you could have a team of 6 pokemon (or gain more pokemon as you progress) and they act as continues, where if one pokemon should fall prey to an enemy, the next one would come out immediately, reducing the number of available pokemon (as one is now fainted) and different items throughout the level could be healing ones, or something like that
    iunno, I just saw this and the idea came to me, good luck though.

Cool, I was thinking of something similar to that, where instead of 1 up mushrooms you get Pokemons.

I think I had an idea for this, you should add everypokemon had it own skill instead of jump-killing like mario :) and the boss should as big as browzer ^^

Right now I'm thinking of giving each mon a unique move, there's currently no jump killing.

About the randomized levels: will you be setting specific caps in each one so as not to make any levels un-passable? Suppose there's a big jump in front of you that you can't reach (or leap over), and the entrance is too far above you to do anything about it.

What sort of controls would you implement in such scenarios?

Not at the moment, because you can break bricks and and fly over obstacles at a cost. I might in the future though.

MaskedDJ

【♫Forever Alone♫】‎
    Years
    New pic:
    Super Pokémario World 🎮

Body Burst
    Type: Fire

Maybe Team Bowser, with a logo that looks like Team Rocket, but with a 'B'

well i wish you can make a demo for ur to play~ well body burst is kinda... arkward, for the first time i thought it body burst and dead lolz~ well team browzer too mario-ish, you could put something like team (bad pokemon name)

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
    well i wish you can make a demo for ur to play~ well body burst is kinda... arkward, for the first time i thought it body burst and dead lolz~ well team browzer too mario-ish, you could put something like team (bad pokemon name)
    Since you're playing as Pokemon, maybe the rival team could be Team Trainer, so you can battle the people who enslaved you.
    lol is ther coming a mobile version too?
    Probably not, but I could make one.

Back