• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Swellow

AJ_wishmaker

Shiny trader
    Years
    Does Swellow need Brave Bird to be good?

I don't think so but my mate insists.
    There are many other good moves it can learn
    He has just EVd his one and trained it to lv 71
    Whats the point in starting again?

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    almost everybody uses the move, unless you go for a batonpassing swellos i guess. i don't know, i like to think you can still give your pokemon any move you'd like, dont believe so much in standard movesets.

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
    haha please Archon, if you think like that there are only a handful of pokemon that are "worth using" which is true to some extent, but still, people want to train their favorites.

I guess we need to know the rest of the moveset to determine whether or not brave bird should be there. I'd say it should, because its stats are a little uneven it has decent atk and speed but not so good defenses. Which means you need to give it a physical sweeper esc. set to be effective. Unless you wanted to go with a different strategy. Regardless, brave bird is a great flying type move because it gets the STAB and can do a lot of damage if you've got a CB on. Idk, what flying type move does he have right now?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Swellow@FlameOrb
    Jolly/Guts
    252Att/252Spd/6HP
    Facade
    ArielAce/BraveBird
    U-turn
    Protect

Like all pokemon, their usability is dependant on their tier. This thing owns in UU. Protect activates flame orb, and all attacks get a 1.5 boost from guts. Facade is partcularly good, as 140 base+1.5STAB+ 1.5Guts= 280 base power, which is just plain awesome (I think im right, someone correct me if not).
    But yeah, that set is excellent. Brave bird is nice, but recoil+burn isnt always liked. But it doesnt need brave bird to be good

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Like Gofre said, Flame Orb + Facade = Win.

Brave Bird is amazing, but Swellow really isn't meant for that. If you want a good move for Swellow that really affects stuff, Toxic or Aerial Ace or even Steel Wing for rock types do just fine.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Nonononono steel wing is one of the worst moves out there, stay away! A guts-bossted U-turn covers rocks, and also switches you out of the inevitable super effective STAB stone edge coming your way.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2009
    I think

Quick Attack
    Fly
    Edeavanor
    U-Turn (I think Swellow can learn that).

AJ_wishmaker

Shiny trader
    Years
    Thanks for the help :D
    It obviously depends which strategy is being used to if it should have it
    Atleast I now know it can be good without it
    I'm on the Wii doing this it took ages :P but its worth it!

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I think

Quick Attack
    Fly<<<<Rofl :)
    Edeavanor
    Even though it's obvious, dont use fly ever.

Thanks for the help :D
    It obviously depends which strategy is being used to if it should have it
    Atleast I now know it can be good without it
    I'm on the Wii doing this it took ages :P but its worth it!

No problem, I've recently been using the set i suggested and it's working like a dream.

The REAL Shadow Chaos

The one and only REAL Chaos!
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2008
    I think

Quick Attack
    Fly
    Edeavanor

Hell NO!

Fly? Why do you want that move? So opponments can boost their stats for free while you are in the air doing nothing? Or do you use that move so opponewnts will have enough time to switch to their counter? Please, do not use fly, it is really really really really bad! The only Pokemon who should use Fly is PP Staller earoy, and even that moveset is TERRIBLE! As terrible as can terrible can be! And should only be used for fun matches or by people who like to lose!

Back