• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Tate & Liza (Emerald)

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
  • They were fairly easy to beat in Ruby & Saphire (Aggron use Iron Tail!) but in Emerald on the other hand...

I think that Tate & Liza are, in Emerald, the most difficult gym leaders of any pokemon game. What do you think? How did you fare against them in Emerald?

Claydol Lv. 41

• Earthquake
    • AncientPower
    • Psychic
    • Light Screen
    Lunatone Lv42

• Light Screen
    • Psychic
    • Hypnosis
    • Calm Mind
    Xatu Lv. 41

• Psychic
    • Sunny Day
    • Confuse Ray
    • Calm Mind
    Solrock Lv. 42

• Sunny Day
    • Solarbeam
    • Flamethrower
    • Psychic

The main problem is that Claydol. An Aggron or Manetric would win the battle easily if it wasn't for its Earthquake.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Tate and Liza are my most hated Gym Leaders. Of course, I won against them but it was hard. That time I had: Gyarados; Lairon; Blaziken; Breloom. I managed to win luckily thanks to Surf and Giga Drain. :D

EDIT: This was on Emerald, by the way.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I beat them fairly easy in both R/S and Emerald given they are stronger in Emerald but I am always vastly over leveled and I tend to have quite a few Dark types all it really takes is a good Sharpedo

Years
  • Ugh, don't even get me started on them in Emerald!! It took me about a million goes to defeat them - so satisfying when it finally happened, though. I remember my Mightyena being pretty darn useful :bandit:

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I beat her just with my Gardevior o_o
    I just spammed Calm Mind since they basically kept spamming Stat Boosting moves and Hypnosis...
    Shock Wave and Psychic murdered her team ^.^
    i had Sceptile too, which was a bit helpful.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Surf is the answer to all your problems.

Three of their Pokemon are weak to Water, and when you've got two out at a time, even Gyarados' Surf gives them big problems.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Only battle I ever lost in Emerald was in Battle Frontier...

....although the fact that I always have an Absol helps a lot. Give it a moveset of Swords Dance, Slash, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and you have a crit-hit SDBoltbeamer.

Jack Kentnon

Derp Trainer
    Years
  • Man,
    oh man,
    oh man,
    do I ever,
    HATE those guys!

With my team at the time: Breloom, Manectric, Torkoal, Alteria, Alakazam, and a Marill for surfing.

Chanses are I opened with Alakazam/Manectric. When the earthquakes started coming my way, I would switched out for Alteria. He ended up tanking it for sure.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2013
    They were quite easy for me. Granted, i were pretty overleveled, but still easy. It was during my Triospecies Challenge, I had a Swampert, Lombre and Wigglytuff, all at level 45.

Swampert + Lombre, Muddy Water + Surf = epic win.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • If you have ANY pokemon take out Xatu, and a pokemon with surf, you're set. Really, they're only that annoying if you let them set up (Or if you fight them in Emerald 386. *shudders*)

The hardest fight is Norman if you don't have something like Protect, a Lairon, or a CM Gardevoir that sets up on Spinda.

EDIT: Why Muddy water? It's no better than Surf...

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
  • Apparently they are fairly hated on the planet. But omg every time I restart the game this is where I get caught up In my opinion they are the hardest gym(in proportion to levels). My first time my Absol pulled it out of his "place where the sun don't shine" after my third try, and I still love him to this day for it.........

Fire Blazer

Gomu Gomu no...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    They were difficult, but that's why I liked them.

Claydol and Solrock have great movesets. :O

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 32
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Manetric using Shock Wave for Xatu && Swampert using Surf && Muddy Water on the others worked fine for me.
    I realy didn't have too much trouble with this one myself.
    Norman, on the other hand...=PP

Sophisticated.

It's all about the Reaction.
    Years
  • >_> eww Tate & Liza. In R/S easy, Emerald a bit hard. I raised a Mightyena or a Gyarados. They did pretty fine. Might was about the high 30s, and Gyarados was mid 40s. I uber trained Gyarados. :3 or you can Randomly raise a Sharpedo(Super Rod).

Back