• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Team Flare!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Don't you think Sycamore might be part of Team Flare?

I was hoping SO BADLY for Sycamore to be revealed as the leader of Team Flare, because that would have given the story an actual twist and made it so interesting, but alas...

I don't dislike Team Flare. Dare I say, they're at least better than Team Rocket, in that their goals stem beyond just making money.

Lysandre is one of the few real "characters" in XY, and while he could have been presented better he does have a certain tragicness to him that makes him one of the more interesting villains in the Pokémon games.

Lysandre wants to "start the world over with only the good people," but to "be a good person" means joining Team Flare and that means having to pay a ton of money and nothing more...obviously he can't think this is what defines a good person, right? Honestly, it's all about the little details with Lysandre, and seeing as how he needed lots of money to get his giant death machine up and running I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't even let the rest of Team Flare survive--or even himself. That's tragic.

He admits that he knows what he's doing is wrong, but he is extreme and has become obsessed, which makes him multifaceted and interesting (and tragic). I think the biggest flaw was making the Grunts so silly. Game Freak wanted them to be a sillier, wackier team, which the Grunts pulled off quite well. But then having the leader want to commit mass genocide just...well that isn't silly at all. This juxtaposition makes for a very interesting thought, though: the Grunts really put a lot of faith in Lysandre, so much so that they didn't feel the need to take things seriously. They thought everything would work out in the end in their favor. This solidifies Lysandre as a man of great power and leadership--we know that he created the Holo Caster, but besides that we don't see a whole lot of his influence, so it's interesting to think that the Grunts, by being silly and outlandish, essentially confirm the kind of influence this man really has.

Another interesting thing on the topic of influence is Malva. We see her as the Holo Caster news reporter, and later as an Elite Four member. After the events at the PokéBall Factory, it seemed odd that Malva would report that they "have no information" on what happened...but when we later find out that Malva is a part of Team Flare, it becomes clear that Lysandre used his power and influence to corrupt the news, so Team Flare could go about their business with as little interference as possible. Talk about sinister!

So in the end, I think Team Flare's biggest downfall is that they have the opportunity to be one of the more sinister, destructive, and threatening teams, but the juxtaposition of silly Grunts with serious Admins and their leader just doesn't work the way it could have.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Their inclusion in the game is entirely formulaic and unoriginal, and thus redundant.

No NPCs seem to bat an eyelid at them at all, including the SMART characters i.e. Sycamore! (Pretty sure one character praised their stylishness!) Like, seriously nobody at all. Though I will praise Nintendo's successful representation of Lysandre as the obvious 'villain' of the game right from the get-go, (though arguably to a pantomime extent).

They just pop up here and there for a few battles and then just disappear until next time. There seemed to be no overarching plot until the final confrontation in Geosenge Town when all the information about their plans were just dumped upon the player.

Messy, messy, messy.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
    Despite hating gen 5 with a passion, I loved team Plasma, because they were so deep and had serious motives. To me team Flare didn't even feel like a villainous team, they were a total joke. Lysandre could get deep sometimes, but the team as a whole was quite literally laughable, and is one of my few and far between qualms with gen 6.

Back