• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket - Something Thats Always Bothered Me

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    So, I'm not sure if any of you have noticed, but, ever since Pokemon, the Kanto season, Team Rocket has always gotten the short end of the stick.
    Taking for example - Ash and gang always try to stop them from "stealing" pokemon. But, if these pokemon are in the wild, is it really stealing? I can understand if it' someone else's pokemon, but, like in the episode where they capture all those pikachu in the net, those were fair game, considering Jessie and James are actually pokemon trainers as well. So, taking this into consideration, what do you think? Was Ash and crew justified? and, did this piss you off as much as it has me since I was like, 10.

Blue_Drifblim

¯\(º_o)/¯
    Years
    In a recent episode, "The Thief Who Kept On Thieving" they got away with the kid's Yanma he was about to catch. Plus, it evolved in the same episode. Technically, it was still wild. But that's still messed up. :x They had to win at least once, though.

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Its the actual law in pokemon that each Pokemon if caught must be caught in a Pokeball.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    you don't know that they wouldn't eventually be caught in pokeballs, the net could just be to stop them running away while they weaken them. As for the battling, I think rules are more relaxed. After all, didn't Ash oce beat a Krabby over the head with a stick in order to catch it.

ANYWAY...yes, I definitely agree. just because they're TR, it doesn't mean that they aren't allowed to catch wild pokemon...

Infernape

fire power!
    Years
    you don't know that they wouldn't eventually be caught in pokeballs, the net could just be to stop them running away while they weaken them. As for the battling, I think rules are more relaxed. After all, didn't Ash oce beat a Krabby over the head with a stick in order to catch it.

ANYWAY...yes, I definitely agree. just because they're TR, it doesn't mean that they aren't allowed to catch wild pokemon...

exactally. wild pokemon are anyone's fair game.

matt561

Your French Charizard
    Years
    I think the drawing board should make TR just a little bit more succsessful because at the beginning of the show (the first few seasons) they were formidible oponents but now they are basicly just a time filler withe there catchphrase...James doesent eithen have a rose anymore

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    So, I'm not sure if any of you have noticed, but, ever since Pokemon, the Kanto season, Team Rocket has always gotten the short end of the stick.
    Taking for example - Ash and gang always try to stop them from "stealing" pokemon. But, if these pokemon are in the wild, is it really stealing? I can understand if it' someone else's pokemon, but, like in the episode where they capture all those pikachu in the net, those were fair game, considering Jessie and James are actually pokemon trainers as well. So, taking this into consideration, what do you think? Was Ash and crew justified? and, did this piss you off as much as it has me since I was like, 10.

I think that it's considered poaching in the show. I don't really know how catching them in a ball isn't poaching but taking them by nets and stuff is but that's how it is. have been a few episodes though that have shown more extreme methods of poaching in the series.

Years
    It used to bother me, but I'm so blase to the double standards by now. Yeah, Ash can do no wrong, and can steal no wrong. Yep. Although, the Rockets have been improving, using the Yanmega reference. Still, it is an unfair standard.

"You're going to use Pokemon as servants!"

"Well, Ash, don't you do the same thing when they fight for you, like your Pidgeotto and the constant popping of our balloon? So, why are you on our case? You're still USING them, as we do."

You figure out the next line. Hah.

Michael Chartrose

지저분한 연수생
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2015
    Its the actual law in pokemon that each Pokemon if caught must be caught in a Pokeball.

You are absolutely correct.

No Pokémon may be caught with some net or trap, it has to be caught with a PokéBall, so it can be confirmed that the Pokémon is owned. Otherwise, any other way of catching a Pokémon without a PokéBall is illegal according to the Pokémon series.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    I think it is because what Team Rocket does is consider poaching. It is kinda like capturing wild lions in the wild and it is consider bad.

I think the difference between what Ash and Team Rocket when they capture pokemon is what they do afterwards. Ash is going to train them for battle while Team Rocket is going to sell them which is kinda immoral so really Team Rocket is more bad in this case in the eyes of the community of the pokemon world.

Or that how I reason it. Teeheehee

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    AND it makes me sad because that yanmega will NEVER reach its full potential because team rocket has this nack for not being able to train there pokemon...

It's not that they aren't good trainers, it's just they don't take the time to train. It's been shown that they could be good trainers, but would rather take the path of least resistance.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    In trees most of the time. If you ask me they should be dead by now though or be missing some eyes.

Infernape

fire power!
    Years
    I think the difference between what Ash and Team Rocket when they capture pokemon is what they do afterwards. Ash is going to train them for battle while Team Rocket is going to sell them which is kinda immoral so really Team Rocket is more bad in this case in the eyes of the community of the pokemon world.
    They can't really be classified as poachers seeing as they don't sell off the pokemon. they just give them to the boss who uses them for various household duties (ex-cingling chorus alarm) or whatever else meowth's daydreams show us.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I agree. TR are never allowed to catch wild Pokemon. I mean, what if the net was just to catch them temporarily, until they could have a proper battle?
    It's like with the Hippowdon. Gee, 'oh no, TR have put a net over a Hippowdon! That's wrong! D='
    Gah... It bugs me.
    Still, I see why. TR have to get certain Pokemon, so that's why they're not allowed to capture more.
    xX

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Indeed. It had recently occured to me that trainers are no less 'evil' than organisations like Team Rocket — capturing helpless creatures with sophisticated technology and coercing them into bouts until one is rendered unconcious.

They can't really be classified as poachers seeing as they don't sell off the pokemon.
    Slow down there, tiger; Rocket distributes its capturees to their Game Corner(s), where they are sold as prizes like goldfish in bags.
    They're probably also responsible for the Lapras' overhunting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    When you think about it, even Ash tried to catch a pokemon through... unconventional means, IN THE FIRST EPISODE. Remember when he sneaks up on the pidgey and trapped it under his shirt? Seems like it wasn't such a problem to use traps then...

Back