• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Team

Years
    Which 6 Pokemon did you use during the beginning of POKEMON CRYSTAL
    I'm just having trouble figuring out which i should use to level up the most, so i'll have a good team later,
    but anyways:
    I'm using
    -Poliwag
    -Magikarp (only for Gyarados)
    -Quilava
    -Hoppip
    -Onix
    -Abra (soon to be Kadabra)

But I could be leveling up:
    -Ditto (obviously not a good choice)
    -Jigglypuff
    -Psyduck
    -Venonat
    -Paras
    -Slowpoke
    -Sandshrew
    -HootHoot
    -Zubat
    -Geodude
    -Spinarak
    -Ledyba
    -Bellsprout
    -Pidgey
    -Caterpie
    -Oddish
    -Togepi
    -Sentret
    -Snubbull

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 29, 2007
    I would ditch the Hoppip...I always try a Hoppip at the beginning, it just never works for me...although it might for you. =) Zubat might be a good replacement...assuming this is all in-game stuff. Competitive I know nothing about. Although...really anything, if it's at a high enough level is absolutely fine in-game...I just think some are easier to win with at lower levels.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2013
    Adding to Venasaur, if you want to have a Gyarados, and you're not one of those people who wants all his Pokemon to be personalized and home-raised (like me :( ] then you should save a spot for Red Gyarados, since it'll beat out whatever Gyarados you raise anyways. And a bonus, you now have 5 instead of 6 to train, so they'll get more training then if you had to train 6 including Magikarp.

Also, Hoppip isn't that great, I would switch to Bellsprout, Gloom, if you absolutely must have a grass (I don't like em...) About Onix, are you able to trade for Steelix later on?

Poliwag & Quilava = good, I had em too, too bad you acn't evolve Poliwhirl until Kanto...

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2013
    Yes, I know. I said Poliwhirl can't evolve till Kanto (where you can get a Water Stone)

Hyster-ia

Hyster-ia
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2006
    Xtacy said:
    Yes, I know. I said Poliwhirl can't evolve till Kanto (where you can get a Water Stone)

Mystery Gift helps.. But the chance is not big enough, otherise you need to trade a Pokémon that is holding a Water Stone.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Hyster-ia said:
    Mystery Gift helps.. But the chance is not big enough, otherise you need to trade a Pokémon that is holding a Water Stone.
    Isn't Myster gift is when you trade items with another person thats Pokemon is holding that item:t201-qu:. If thats the case just give all of your Pokemon Water stones. Unless you can't get enough.

:t003:Dark Venusaur

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Xtacy said:
    You Can get a water stone in Johto, Fisherman Tubby gives it to you, west of Mahogany Town. And plus the fact you can't get any type of stone in the Celadon Department Store.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    What's up with all you people flaming Hoppip? >D It's not Hoppip's fault if you people can't use it. Jumpluff kicks some serious butt with Leech Seed and Sleep powder >D It might be hard to train, but trainer battles are absolutely no problem for it. I assure you Jumpluff will be very useful against Red (assuming it has the right movesets of course).

As for your question about which of your party members you should level up the most: a balanced way of training is the way to go. It's good not to keep too big level differences between your Pokémon (I usually have a level difference of 0-5 levels). It might feel hard to do so much training, but the route west of Ekruteak is an easy place to train your Pokémon to atleast level 30 (I myself usually train my Pokémon to level 36 there)
    Dark Venusaur said:
    Don't level up a Margikarp because later on in the game you get to catch a shiny Gyarados at the lake of Rage.

Yea, a Gyarados with low stats and a horrible movepool -_- Besides, it can be quite fun to beat up Bugsy and/or Whitney with a Gyarados (believe it or not, but I actually did. I trained all my Pokémon to level 20 on the route south from Violet city O.o)
    Dark Venusaur said:
    Isn't Myster gift is when you trade items with another person thats Pokemon is holding that item:t201-qu:. If thats the case just give all of your Pokemon Water stones. Unless you can't get enough.

Nope, Mystery gift gives you a random item, it can be anything from a Berry to a pink bed or huge Snorlax doll.

*edit* I misunderstood your question >D

I'd say you should ditch either Gyarados or Poliwag, you don't need two water types. Replacing one of them with an electric type wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. Jolteon wouldn't really be a bad choice, but you could always try using Ampharos or Magneton too, because Thunderstones are pretty rare in the G/S/C games.

You might consider Slowbro as your team's water type, it's surprisingly strong and can take strong hits easily.

Victreebell might be a good choice if you don't have the patience to train a Hoppip, even though it's underused it can do some serious damage if used right. Too bad the G/S/C games don't have traits, though =/

What your team lacks, though is a physical sweeper. I know Spearow isn't on the list, but Fearow makes a fairly good physical sweeper (especialy in the G/S/C games, where the E4's Pokémon's stats are ridiculously low), but I'd rather go with a Crobat. Wait... Nidoran(male) isn't on your list? Nidoking would make a great physical or mixed attacker for your team, it learns a bunch of strong physical and special moves and its attacks aren't that bad either >D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2013
    brotlov said:
    You Can get a water stone in Johto, Fisherman Tubby gives it to you, west of Mahogany Town. And plus the fact you can't get any type of stone in the Celadon Department Store.

...but you can get it from Bill's grandfather in Cerulean.

Red Gyarados has lower stats then regular Gyarados? (I never used him, he went to the computer straight away...) Or are you just referring to Gyarados in general?

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Red Gyarados has lower stats then regular Gyarados? (I never used him, he went to the computer straight away...) Or are you just referring to Gyarados in general?
    Actually, yes. The Red Gyarados in the lake of rage is not trained, but is found on level 30, meaning it didn't get the small stat boost for every level up it had before you catch it, making it weaker. Shiny Pokémon also have lower (yes, lower, not higher. Atleast according to Psypoke) DVs than normal Pokémon.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    No Offenise but Hoppip isn't that great. Most people use the shiny Gyarados is because ts shiny and thats why people brag about. Your right about the Gyarados thats shiny having lower stats but sometimes that really doesn't matter. just give it some protients, Irons and some of that other stuff.

Back