• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Testing the waters... VERY FIRST TEAM

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
Years
  • I started out wanting to build a team of Pokemon I genuinely like. Then I looked around for the movesets/item combinations other people were using. Then I threw them all together. Hopefully I turned out something that at least isn't laughable? I'm fully prepared to hear that it's an unusable team or that it needs masses of work. This is also purely speculative at this point, since I don't actually have any of the Pokes I need yet. EDIT: I now have a few Shoddy battles under my belt and have seen how the team performs. Updated!

Team Preview:

Blitz: SubPasser
    Jolteon @ Leftovers
    (4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe)
    Timid Nature - Volt Absorb
    * Baton Pass
    * Substitute
    * Thunderbolt
    * Thunder Wave
    My logic: Nothing can outrun Jolteon with maxed-out speed. Blitz can set up Substitute, use it as a barrier to throw out Thunder Wave, and then Baton Pass to something that can actually wipe out the starter. That is, if they don't lead with something that Jolteon can 2HKO. This set has worked wonders for me - Jolteon usually lasts the whole battle. No suicide leads for me.

Ariel: Specs
    Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
    (252 Def/252 SpA/4 Spe)
    Modest Nature - Water Absorb
    * Surf
    * Ice Beam
    * HP Electric
    * Wish
    My logic: I switched SpecsMilotic in favor of SpecsVaporeon, since Milotic sucked. Surf provides STAB, Ice Beam knocks out grass and dragon-types, and Ariel has high enough defense that she's just soaked up a Thunderbolt from a Dragonite before and lashed right back with Ice Beam for OHKO. Wish provides team support and HP Electric is for any water-types.

Glaive: Stealth Rock/Shuffler
    Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    (252 HP/96 Atk/156 Def/4 Spe)
    Impish Nature - Keen Eye
    * Brave Bird
    * Roost
    * Stealth Rock
    * Whirlwind
    My logic: Glaive's Brave Bird STABs anything with flying weakness, Roost heals away the recoil. Stealth Rock to hurt the whole team and Whirlwind to blow away an electric or rock type that might try to KO it. Shed Shell keeps it from being trapped, which I like. Stealth Rock + Whirlwind is an excellent combination that I've used on multiple occasions.

Lucifel: Special Sweeper
    Houndoom @ Life Orb
    (40 HP/252 SpA/216 Spe)
    Timid Nature - Flash Fire
    * Nasty Plot
    * Fire Blast
    * Dark Pulse
    * HP Fighting
    My logic: Lucy's Nasty Plot gives her a big attack boost, meaning that with Fire Blast she can 2HKO quite a few things thrown out against her, even walls. Dark Pulse gives her an edge up against Ghost and Psychic-types, and upon suggestion, I've added HP fighting to take care of rock-type threats. Lucy is definitely the weakest link in this team, and I recognize that. The rest of the team is built to support her, since she is really my main offensive player. I tend to be very cautious about who I switch her into, though I still make some pretty fatal mistakes sometimes (Heracross with Stone Edge, whut?).

Oliphant: CB
    Donphan @ Choice Band
    (172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe)
    Adamant Nature - Sturdy
    * Stone Edge
    * Earthquake
    * Ice Shard
    * Fire Fang
    My logic: Olly has a ridiculous amount of starting defense and throwing half her EVs into HP makes her a pretty effective wall herself. Fire Fang serves as a check against leaf-types that might try to 2HKO her. I have added Stone Edge instead of Rapid Spin, since I have been frustrated with the lack of rock moves on my team. If Ariel goes down, I have nothing left to use against a good fire type at this point.

Lantana: Annoyer
    Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    (252 HP/212 Def/44 Spe)
    Impish Nature - Levitate
    * Leech Seed
    * Sleep Powder
    * Power Whip
    * Knock Off
    My logic: Upon Fabian's suggestion, I have added Tangrowth to the team. Leech Seed works wonders for an expected switch-in, Sleep Powder takes down something I'm not sure I can fight. Knock Off is really annoying, shaving steamrolling Scarfers, CBers or Life Orb Pokes down to their base attacks and Power Whip takes care of the STAB.

So. What's wrong with it?

Last edited:

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
  • 1) Donphan sucks. Or if it doesn't suck, it's pretty damn mediocre. Out of the "big four," he's the one who dies like hell to tspikes. If you want a Spinner, use Forretress (who can also set up TSpikes himself), Starmie (a fairly large threat with a wide special movepool, good SPATK and speed, instant recovery in Recover, and ability to lose status by switching out), or Tentacruel (who also has Knock Off and absorbs TSpikes as he comes in).

Anyways... I think Tangrowth goes well in lieu of Carnivire.
    Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    252 HP/212 DEF/44 SPD
    Knock Off
    Leech Seed
    Sleep Powder
    Power Whip

Tangrowth is pretty bulky (even more so than Skarmory, though he'd kill to have Skarmory's resistances and immunities), and with Knock Off, Sleep Powder, and Leech Seed, he can really cause trouble for your opponent. Power Whip is a very strong STAB attack that lets him attack when the need arises.

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
    Years
  • Thanks for the Tangrowth suggestion. I like that much better than Carnivine (ew).

As to Tentacruel or Starmie - I'm hesitant about both because I already have two Pokemon that are likely to be 2HKO by anything with a decent Electric move. Throwing another water type in there would make it simple for a CBer to take out half my team, and I lose Earthquake, which is one of the best Ground moves IMHO. Forretress seems like the best one out of the three - or am I being overly cautious with my typing here?

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • Yes you may have 2 (or 3) things weak to electric, but if Jolteon is still around he will gladly take those Thunderbolts for some free healing.

Also if you really want Earthquake, Tangrowth can make use of it albeit one that does not gain STAB.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Carnivine is largely outclassed in OUs. I do not recommend it at all (though luckily it's a filler).

this team gives off the early DP feeling to me. A lot of the pokemon you use are largely outclassed by others (Milotic, Houndoom, Donphan, and you could argue even Skarmory nowadays).

Jolteon is an alright lead, but you have to be careful of choice scarfers that can take it out. I don't know if this is for platinum or DP, but if it's DP, you also have to watch out for trickscarfers.

As for improvements...Rapid Spin Donphan gets crushed by both Gengar and the Rotom forms, both top ten pokemon (with all the Rotom forms combined they are top ten). Also, SR actually doesn't hurt your team that bad bar Houndoom, and honestly that's probably going to die anyways. I would use Choice Band Donphan if you want to use Donphan - STAB Earthquake from 120 base attack hurts a ton and severely damages a lot of common switch-ins, and Stone Edge makes a fool of flyers and especially Gengar, who normally can block rapid spin. To make up for the loss of Rapid spin, Specs Vaporeon over Specs Milotic could work given its access to Wish (which is much more useful than Dragon Pulse or Hypnosis).

On the same front, Heatran would probably be better over Houndoom. Houndoom just isn't really any...good. On the flipside, Heatran revenge kills SDluke, Scizor, and Heracross, all three of whom really give your team a rough time. I would recommend a fighting resist over Carnivine to help mend this problem further - Salamence, Gyarados, Zapdos, and Dragonite are all good choices.

In general, I would just replaced outclassed and/or outdated stuff like Donphan and Milotic for more capable replacements. That will help your team's problems a lot, and we'll go from there.

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
    Years
  • Carnivine is largely outclassed in OUs. I do not recommend it at all (though luckily it's a filler).

I already switched to the Tangrowth suggested but just haven't updated yet.

this team gives off the early DP feeling to me. A lot of the pokemon you use are largely outclassed by others (Milotic, Houndoom, Donphan, and you could argue even Skarmory nowadays).

Jolteon is an alright lead, but you have to be careful of choice scarfers that can take it out. I don't know if this is for platinum or DP, but if it's DP, you also have to watch out for trickscarfers.

I'm definitely making this with D/P in mind (should have said so I guess) as my long-term goal is to raise this team in-game, not just battle on Shoddy.

As for improvements...Rapid Spin Donphan gets crushed by both Gengar and the Rotom forms, both top ten pokemon (with all the Rotom forms combined they are top ten). Also, SR actually doesn't hurt your team that bad bar Houndoom, and honestly that's probably going to die anyways. I would use Choice Band Donphan if you want to use Donphan - STAB Earthquake from 120 base attack hurts a ton and severely damages a lot of common switch-ins, and Stone Edge makes a fool of flyers and especially Gengar, who normally can block rapid spin. To make up for the loss of Rapid spin, Specs Vaporeon over Specs Milotic could work given its access to Wish (which is much more useful than Dragon Pulse or Hypnosis).

If I keep Donphan, I agree that he needs something a little more offensive than just Earthquake. I'm incredibly pleased with Knock Off and Ice Shard has saved my ass a couple times, so I'm not sure about running CB on Donphan. I like its versatility and I like the ability to switch strategies without having to switch Pokemon.

On the same front, Heatran would probably be better over Houndoom. Houndoom just isn't really any...good. On the flipside, Heatran revenge kills SDluke, Scizor, and Heracross, all three of whom really give your team a rough time. I would recommend a fighting resist over Carnivine to help mend this problem further - Salamence, Gyarados, Zapdos, and Dragonite are all good choices.

I refuse to get rid of Houndoom. Nasty Plot + Fire Blast/Dark Pulse has swept half of people's teams before Lucy went down. I like her.

In general, I would just replaced outclassed and/or outdated stuff like Donphan and Milotic for more capable replacements. That will help your team's problems a lot, and we'll go from there.

I am willing to replace Milotic, as I've been disappointed in her performance. Pretty Pokemon, but there's a reason why she's in the BL tier I suppose. Vaporeon is a definite option, as I can keep much the same move pool with the addition of Wish.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Knock Off can largely be covered by Tangrowth over Synthesis, which is absolutely garbage given its low PP and ineffectiveness in SS conditions. Ice shard is actually used on CB Donphan, so you'll be covered. Rapid Spin Donphan is absolutely horrible.

Also, if you have your heart set up on using Houndoom, you have to be realistic about its shortcomings. Its SR weakness, inability to get past waters and blisslax, and of course getting revenge killed easily thanks to its average speed makes it a pretty mediocre sweeper. If you want to keep it, more power to you, but you have to accept its shortcomings (and honestly anybody who gets swept by Houndoom in the early game haws some serious problems). I would give it paralysis support to give it a chance.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    You've obviously got some serious balls to be using Houndoom, but it doesn't change the fact that it sucks. Choice sets are inferior to Heatran, and your Nasty Plotter set is vastly inferior to a Nasty Plot Infernape. WoW is also garbage on a Nasty Plot Houndoom. I'll bet you that you rarely ever use it, making it almost a wasted slot. HP Fighting >>> WoW lets you handle Heatran, Tyranitar, and foe Houndoom better, actually letting you HURT them in the first place. As for the team, it's okay, although Synthesis on Tangrowth must go. Knock Off or even Stun Spore could over it.

Donphan...yeah, I don't see why you're using it as a Rapid Spinner. It's the worst OU Rapid Spinner in the game, affected by Toxic Spikes, has one of the worst typings when it comes to taking special hits (2HKO'd by a Choice Specs Donphan's HP Grass btw), etc...I'd either use it as a Bulky CBer, or just plain use Mamoswine, who's stronger, faster, but has a worse typing in general.

Choice Specs Vaporeon is better than Choice Specs Milotic. Packs a harder punch, has more overall bulk, better ability (debatable) and can KO Salamence through Yache Berry with Ice Beam.

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
    Years
  • Okay, I've taken y'all's advice (on everything except Houndoom. I love my Houndoom), and added Vaporeon. I've seen improvement in the team's performance already and I've actually started winning on a regular basis.

Last edited:
    Years
  • My first team in my pokemon emerald:
    1.Swampert
    2.Dodrio
    3.Rayquaza
    4.Groudon
    5.kyogre
    6.Gardevoir
    how is that relevent to the thread
    i see mix ape sweeping your team if he sets up!so dont let it set up.hit it as soon as possible!

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Knock Off can largely be covered by Tangrowth over Synthesis, which is absolutely garbage given its low PP and ineffectiveness in SS conditions. Ice shard is actually used on CB Donphan, so you'll be covered. Rapid Spin Donphan is absolutely horrible.

Also, if you have your heart set up on using Houndoom, you have to be realistic about its shortcomings. Its SR weakness, inability to get past waters and blisslax, and of course getting revenge killed easily thanks to its average speed makes it a pretty mediocre sweeper. If you want to keep it, more power to you, but you have to accept its shortcomings (and honestly anybody who gets swept by Houndoom in the early game haws some serious problems). I would give it paralysis support to give it a chance.

I have to agree with this. If you wanna use it, then you'll have to make up for it's weaknesses. Luckily, Houndoom isn't horrendously terrible. Just outclassed. Doesn't Tangrowth learn Stun Spore?

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Shinoaburame, your post had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Please read the community- and section rules before posting.

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Houndoom can do a very nice job sweeping, it's preference.

Can't knock the guy for using what he likes.

sims796

Years
  • But you can knock her for using it poorly. And she is doing that.

It's just like me & VIleplume. I liekz Vileplume, enouggh to make him on EVERY TEEM. But I have to make sure it isn't seriously hampering me down. At the very least, my team must be able to support him.

That is the case here. If you are using Houndoom over the superior Heatran because you want to have fun playing this game for children ages 10+, then go ahead. But, IT MUST NOT HOLD YOU BACK TOO MUCH.

As Ainti said, Paralisys support would do nicly.

Last edited:

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I was refering to Vance's really obscene post knocking Houndoom down badly.

You can't flat out say he sucks because he's out classed :P

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
    Years
  • Hey now y'all, let's not start a fight in little old my thread (female here, by the way, not that it matters). I can take some criticism, which is the whole reason I posted the thread. No need to get defensive on my part. If I think someone's being rude, I'll call them on it. I didn't think Vance was being rude, just honest. After having played with my Houndoom, I definitely recognize that she has some serious shortcomings. But I also don't want to get rid of her, because I like playing with Pokemon I like. So thank you for all your advice, and I will take it into consideration, but don't worry. I'm not going to totally switch my team around because someone who's been here longer said so. I've been around the Intertubes for longer than that, thanks.

I have paralysis support with Jolteon's Thunder Wave, so I was hesitant about including a repetitive move on Tangrowth's moveset, especially since Leech Seed has served me so well. You're right, the paralysis has really helped Houndoom on the switch-in. I'm still able to sweep if I'm not totally outclassed from the start. Which will happen sometimes unless I give in and start using the same Pokemon everyone else does, which I don't want to do, because then it makes the metagame boring. You win some, you lose some. I've been losing less since I started tweaking the team in accordance with y'all's advice, though, so good deal.

sims796

Years
  • My bad, sorry, she. Wasn't paying attention.

And it's interwebz. >=[

But most importantly, I could have sworn Jolteon had HP ICE over T-Wave, so you'll be fine. It still doesn't mean that Houndoom's safe on the switch, being SR weak.Andseeing how he is walled kinda hardby a common poke, you'll need to fix that.

LOLSTONEEDGELOL

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today

Blitz: SubPasser

Jolteon @ Leftovers
    (4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe)
    Timid Nature - Volt Absorb
    * Baton Pass
    * Substitute
    * Thunderbolt
    * Thunder Wave/ Hidden Power (Ice) Hidden Power (Ice) gives you more coverage, what if Blitz was your only poke and you were facing a ground poke?

My logic: Nothing can outrun Jolteon with maxed-out speed. Blitz can set up Substitute, use it as a barrier to throw out Thunder Wave, and then Baton Pass to something that can actually wipe out the starter. That is, if they don't lead with something that Jolteon can 2HKO. This set has worked wonders for me - Jolteon usually lasts the whole battle. No suicide leads for me. Other than Thunder Wave, it is fine.

Your team is very well balanced, good type coverage!
    I did the changes in bold, there is one poke that bugs me...

Back