• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I've been getting scratches where the frame around the bottom screen meets the top screen. :/ I'm thinking I'll buy a screen protector and a pouch thingie and then get it replaced. It seems like this would fall under a flaw in the design.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Someone was talking about the 3DS's boot time earlier, and it's about the same as the PSP, to be honest. There's quite a lot of stuff loading, so it does take a while.

About dead pixels, I always spot them, because I'm literally OCD about them, so I can always see them, and I've found none on my 3DS so far.

Also, Nintendo needs to make 3DS screen cleaners. Just sayin'.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    How exactly does the battery pack work?

I'd buy one along with a 3DS if it's not awkward and it boosts the life by a lot.

Years
  • How exactly does the battery pack work?

I'd buy one along with a 3DS if it's not awkward and it boosts the life by a lot.

Well, from what I have gathered, you unscrew the bottom of the 3DS, a screwdriver is included in the battery pack, and attach it onto the bottom. Pretty simple, I think!
    That is just me guessing from looking at the screen shots!​

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I'm hoping to trade in my 3DS for a new one tomorrow, since it's still under my shop's warrantee which is one week, or it's off to Nintendo with you! I've heard that I might not be able to get a new one, as it mentions something about dead pixels in the instruction manual and how that they're really common. x( Oh well, if I can't get a new one, then it still won't be a wasted trip since I'll most likely be getting nintendogs + cats tomorrow. Now that I think about it, I might make a video series of me playing it, since that could be cool. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ocarina of Time 3D set for a June 19th release in North America.
    Pretty self-explanatory, and pretty much the timeframe I was expecting.

;o;

-starts saving money for a 3DS now- That's really the only thing I was waiting on. :( Plus Tales of the Abyss is supposed to get ported to 3DS. And I'm sure Pokemon will jump to it...but yeah, good to have a release date I actually wanna pay attention to! :) Should brush up on my OoT skills...but then again, I was recently complaining about how there are tooooo many OoT LPs on YouTube right now, and that it was making the game annoying, so I'll avoid playing for now I guess.

...What was I talking about? XD;

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Oh you just know Pokemon will come aboard the 3DS.

Pocket Monsters ;D

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • To be honest, one of the main reasons I bought the 3DS was for Paper Mario, which has got to be one of my most favourite game series' ever. I've played the first one like, 5-6 times through, so I'm hoping to get the next one as soon as it comes out. :D

Oh, and I got nintendogs + cats today. :)

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Oh you just know Pokemon will come aboard the 3DS.

Pocket Monsters ;D

I'd be utterly shocked if Pokemon didn't jump on board at some point, but I think it's going to be later rather than sooner. I seem to recall Ninty saying that the DS still has some life in it, and after all Gen5 has only just started. It could be problematic if they switched gears with Gray, or the proposed R/S remakes.

However, there's no doubt in my mind that we'll see spinoffs long before then. Here's hoping for a new Mystery Dungeon. :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2012
    I just got a 3DS as a gift. It's pretty awesome, but it has very little functionality as of now. The browser has not yet been enabled and the game list (although growing) is extremely limited. I like taking 3D pictures.

If Nintendo released a gaming platform with 3G or any cellular connection, it would revolutionize the gaming industry. Sure, the iPad has it and the PSP (I heard) was going to have it, but seriously.

Years
  • If Nintendo released a gaming platform with 3G or any cellular connection, it would revolutionize the gaming industry. Sure, the iPad has it and the PSP (I heard) was going to have it, but seriously.

I think 3G is a little too slow to warrant a console that would have access to it, if you mean the gaming side.
    It would be nice to get some true, wireless gaming going on, where you don't have to be in a certain place. But, I doubt that I would use anything like that, since I normally play on games when I am in my own home, or somewhere that normally has WI-FI.​

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2012
    I think 3G is a little too slow to warrant a console that would have access to it, if you mean the gaming side.
    It would be nice to get some true, wireless gaming going on, where you don't have to be in a certain place. But, I doubt that I would use anything like that, since I normally play on games when I am in my own home, or somewhere that normally has WI-FI.​

As for playing, I don't think so. As for downloading and buying games, probably. But cellular is evolving, soon to the point where it can support fast game downloads. I think it would be amazing.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    As for playing, I don't think so. As for downloading and buying games, probably. But cellular is evolving, soon to the point where it can support fast game downloads. I think it would be amazing.
    This could be possible, especially in the future when 4G is created (there are already standards for it. (Gbits/s speed, etc.) So, maybe in the near future video game companies will allow communication by cellular data.

Years
  • As for playing, I don't think so. As for downloading and buying games, probably. But cellular is evolving, soon to the point where it can support fast game downloads. I think it would be amazing.

This could be possible, especially in the future when 4G is created (there are already standards for it. (Gbits/s speed, etc.) So, maybe in the near future video game companies will allow communication by cellular data.

I don't think it would be the near future, since there will be a new set of consoles, if not two, released before 4G will be fully introduced, then there will have to be a console created with the technology to support it. That is just what I think anyway, it i going to be a while.​

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I don't think it would be the near future, since there will be a new set of consoles, if not two, released before 4G will be fully introduced, then there will have to be a console created with the technology to support it. That is just what I think anyway, it i going to be a while.​

Depends how long, though. Both Sony and Microsoft have been taking steps to lengthen the lifespan of their consoles, so they could be around for the next 4 or 5 years if they play their cards right. I wouldn't bet on it, but its a possibility.

Years
  • Depends how long, though. Both Sony and Microsoft have been taking steps to lengthen the lifespan of their consoles, so they could be around for the next 4 or 5 years if they play their cards right. I wouldn't bet on it, but its a possibility.

It is a possibility, but then it depends on how long the 'near future' is and 'not so near'.

You are right, both Sony and Microsoft did extend their existing consoles life with the introduction of the motion control. However, this could be because they feel the hardware they have now can still be maximized to deliver more than we have now. But we are going slightly off-topic here! XD

What is the most impressive and disappointing thing about the 3DS?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I think that the most impressive thing about the 3DS is probably the 3D graphics. They are genuinely stunning, and there are no gimmicks to them. They work properly and are very good. There is no doubt about it.

The most disappointing thing about it is probably the battery life, which isn't really that bad if Power Saving Mode and the brightness is put down, but there is always the PowerPak, which can double the battery life of the 3DS, so it's definitely good enough for me.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Most impressive?
    I'd have to say that as well. the 3D in the console is something you need to see to believe, and that it works so well too. I think what really stands out to me about the 3D is that they made it so it's not trying to pop out into your face, but trying to give depth into the console, which I just think is absolutely stunning. <3

Least impressive?
    To be honest, I'd have to say the picture thing. Hopefully there'll be an update in the future when the Internet Browser comes out, but I really enjoyed taking pictures and uploading them to Facebook, right from the DSi itself. I really do hope they include that in an update soon.

Also the fact that there's no alarm clock on it either. I was starting to use the one on my DSi and now that I have a 3DS, I was disappointed to see that it doesn't have one for me to use and abuse. :(

Back