• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The B button

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    So, how many people here will not be evolving their Pokemon as soon as they hit the right level?

I know that many people will evolve their Pokemon straight away. I used to evolve mine as early as possible. Then I discovered that the basic Pokemon learn the better moves quicker. So this time, I've decided not to evolve Cyndaquil until it learns flamethrower. The same will probably apply for other Pokemon I pick for my team.

Of course the massive drawback of this tactic is that basic Pokemon are far weaker than 2nd and 3rd stage ones, which wont go down well when reaching the 7th/8th Gym leaders.

So, will you guys be using the B button to stop your Pokemon from evolving?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Nah I am able to wait for the moves and its much easier evolving in fact you might even get the moves earlier because your stronger :)

Well, you see, on G/S/C, Cyndaquil learns Flamethrower at level 46. Typhlosion learns it at level 60. That's just an example though. It's like that with all Pokemon I think.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Hmmm... It's interesting that you brought this up but no, I will not be pressing the B button when it comes to evolution. It will be more difficult to progess throughout the game with perhaps a level 53 Cyndaquil and 51 Mareep -.- But I do see what you mean by having it learn moves earlier, but I can wait

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Nah, I'm too impatient. PLus having a Cyndaquil would make it harder to level up since it's stats are lower than it's evo's.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
    Gahh..
    I tried it in Diamond with Piplup, and it was always getting whooped unless it was against Fire or Rock-types.
    I will definitely not be doing this in HG/SS.

Ayselipera

If its a move I really want early and its not that long of a wait then yes.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Like many others have said, I don't personally find an early Flamethrower worth sacrificing better stats. ^^;

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
    I depends for me, some evolutions of the pokemon on my team can't learn moves that their unevolved form can learn, but if it's a move i don't want then I'll probably just go ahead and evolve it.

Years
    Screw that.

Maybe for my other pokemon, sure. But for my starter, no. Besides, more than 75-80 percent of the players are just gonna find the damn TM that they need, and we'll have Cyndaquils running around with Flamethrower at level 24.

Years
    I don't prevent my Pokemon from evolving. If I want the pre-evolved form, I'll breed the final evo with a Ditto. I'll only use the B button if I don't want Tyrogue to evolve into Hitmonlee, when I want a Hitmontop. Or if Eevee's about to evolve into an Umbreon instead of an Espeon.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    I will probs evolve my pokemon when they hit the certain level because I can't really be scewed to press B everytime my pokemon level up.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I may do it on Chikorita for a while, just because it is one of my favorites. However, eventually I will probably let it evolve into a Bayleaf (also a favorite) and eventually a Meganium

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    I only do that if its a Pokemon that I don't like its evolved forms much (like Chikorita), and then I just leave it unevolved forever. Of course, such Pokemon always have to be on a team of stronger ones with better stats, so in case it's ready to faint I can switch out :P. But I never do that for moves unless it's one that only the preevo can learn, such as Mudkip with Hydro Pump in Sapphire. That took forever, but it was worth it when I could knock out anything that didn't resist Water in one shot as long as it hit =P

Back