• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Band, Dorchestra, Jazz, and Any Other Kind of Musicians Club!

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    Welcome to the music geek club! Here, we will discuss and enjoy all that is music, whether it be performance, scores, instruments...whatever floats your boat! Please refrain from "one time at band camp" jokes, since some music nerds tend to get annoyed by them quickly (me, for example! :P), and enjoy your stay! ^^

First up, I'll ask everyone, what instrument(s) do you play?

I play French horn, trumpet, mellophone, electric bass, and some piano.

Band rocks! ^^

sun_shine_002

drama queen
    Years
    I play the clarinet. I've played it for over three years. I get annoyed with the *one time at band camp*haha. Jokes to because i go to band camp, and its hard work.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    sun_shine_002 said:
    I play the clarinet. I've played it for over three years. I get annoyed with the *one time at band camp*haha. Jokes to because i go to band camp, and its hard work.

Yes, band camp is hard work! Learning all that music in a week! Do you plan on keeping up with the clarinet through school and beyond? Maybe doing something professional about it?

sun_shine_002

drama queen
    Years
    Band camp is hard work. I plan to play the clarinet through my high school carrer but afterwards i'm not to sure yet but i still have time to think about it.

Mew13

Aqua Trainer
    Years
    I'll join!!

I play the flute, and have for about 5 years now. I also play piano (11 years) and a little guitar.

I, as a floutist, am especially discusted by "one time, at band camp" jokes. I can't tell you how many times people have said that one to me and ran away laughing....

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    I wanna join! I play piano, violin, guitar, flute, recorder, jawharp and some really weird 8-string imitation zither thing I made when I was eight XD. And I taught myself guitar because I love Good Charlotte and want to start a band.

sun_shine_002

drama queen
    Years
    U know if people went to band camp and see how much and how hard it is they might not make so many jokes about it. Would u agree any one?

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    Of course you can all join! It's cool to see some musicians around at PC. What's your favorite kind of music to listen to? To play?

Personally, I can listen to just about anything, even scream-singing if it's done well. The only thing I really can't listen to is rap...and don't get me started on it! LOL

I play French horn mostly, and I've recently been rather smitten with Mozart's horn concertos and concert rondo. They're so adorable! I also like to play a lot of contemporary stuff for horn...it's so expressive...in a different way than the Classical and Romantic stuff.

On bass, I enjoy playing jazz, and hope to be getting into some rock stuff fairly soon. I just got it in the shop for an overhaul, and I'll have it back soon! Yayness! ^_^

How about you guys?

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    I got sick of classical music around the time I turned 14... the fact that that's when I started listening to punk probably explains that XD. I used to hate rap... I don't mind it any more. Heavy metal and screamo annoy me.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Yeah...Uh, I'm a concussionist, so all of you will be hating me now. Not as much as a trumpet but...Yeah. Hi anyway!

As for what music I listen to, I'll give anything a shot. Even some rap, just not mainstream stuff. Same story with Metal, the mainstream and new stuff tends to be subpar to having your behind run through the wash with 3 tons of pebbles. What I'm listening to now is a lot of Japanese rock, particularly The Blue Hearts and Lunacy. I've also be listening to/doing a little bit of Taiko.

Mew13

Aqua Trainer
    Years
    I play a lot of classical on my flute. I love Motzart and Bach, thier pieces really give me a challange!

For Piano? I'll try almost anything once! I still enjoy the classics, Johann Sebastian Bach being my favorite. I dally a bit in contemperary, but find myself skimming through Mom's old classical books more often.

I'm not good enough at guitar to play anything beside "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". ^_^;;

~Ozy~

Years
    I'm honestly more a fan of Vivaldi. He does a lot more to relax me. But I do have a fondness for Agnus Dei.

As for actual playing. I love doing rock, jazz and big band stuff. It's more high-energy and more rythmic than marching stuff. Yeah, I don't really like marching band.

falling up+
    Years
    musicians club huh? Thats cool...I played trombone for 7 years in my school and play in my towns symphonic band (yes yes total band nerd i know but **** proud of it :P) I also play electric guitar for a band me and my freinds started, and last but not least the banjo!

As for the types of music ill probably agree with everyone here in terms of listening to less mainstream stuff. Im mostly into a lot of indy rock bands and international music.

Mew13

Aqua Trainer
    Years
    OOC: Muah! I never have to deal with Marching Band music on my flute, as I'm a majorette! I twirl baton to the music, but never have to suffer the bores of playing it!

I do play in the pep band though, that's required. Though, our pep band songs are much more challenging than the marching band ones. We played Bohemian Rhapsody last year, which was pretty cool.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    I'd have to say that.....er...don't throw anything too sharp at me now, but I LOVE MARCHING BAND! ^_^ I played mello in it all through high school, and it had to be one of the best/worst experiences for me. I really loved the actual playing and marching, and even the practices were really awesome. The only thing (heh...only...that makes it sound like it wasn't a big deal...) I hated was the people. I'm the kind of person who puts her soul into the things that she's really passionate about. Marching band being one of those...and everyone hated me for it.

However, being in marching band made me grow up a lot, both from the challenges of the actual "sport," if you will, as well as dealing with all my social problems. Besides all the musical stuff it taught me, marching band taught me how to stick to my morals and beliefs, and taught me to have an even harder drive to do well in the things I enjoy. I figured, if everyone hated me for how much I loved what I did, then I would be awesome, or as awesome, as I could be at it.

I was also really fortunate to have an AMAZING band director. If it weren't for him...well, let's just say I wouldn't have turned out to be the way I am. He's still one of my greatest mentors, and now one of my greatest friends. I'm really excited to be able to teach alongside him in the music education field in a few years. What he has done for me can't be repaid in any way. He's given me so much in terms of confidence, and was always there for me if I was having a crappy day. He understood how much I love music, and he kept encouraging me to go as far as I could with it. To have someone stand behind you like that, all the time, no matter what anyone else thought of me, or him for that matter, is beyond the explanation of words. You'd have to hear me play horn to understand how much my band director means to me.

How about you guys/gals? Good directors, bad directors?

~Ozy~

Years
    Like I said, I don't really do school bands. Bad experience with my 6th grade music teacher, back when I played sax. He dropped my grade because I was a skier, not a snowboarder. The grade was changed, but I couldn't get over it and return to band class.

Back