• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Band, Dorchestra, Jazz, and Any Other Kind of Musicians Club!

falling up+
    Years
    you played bohemian rhapsody in pep band? thats kinda a weird choice...but an awesome piece of music. Yes marching band does rock, and getting to boss around freshmen when your the horn captain is the best part *evil laugh* ahh how i do miss the majorettes...sigh marching band was great...

sun_shine_002

drama queen
    Years
    I kind of like marching band but its not my favorite. I like the football games more because our band does chants and other fun things.

Mew13

Aqua Trainer
    Years
    My band director was my mother for a long time. She started me out early (piano at 4 anyone? No wonder I'm an accompaniast...) and she was awesome.

My band and choir director now is great. A lot of people don't like him because he's so strict about mistakes and stuff. That's what I love about him. I love to get better, so he's a great teacher for me. He may be a bit extreme... but hey! No one ever went to Chicago with a medioker band!! (My band and choir did, we performed at the music college there!)

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Skye said:
    That's...so odd TAD. He changed your grade because you were a skier? *is confused*

Well, he was a bit of a boarder jerk. On our ski trip he tried to run me down. I beat the pants off him, though. I don't think he could get past that and decided to take it out on my grade.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    The Adamant Dodger said:
    Well, he was a bit of a boarder jerk. On our ski trip he tried to run me down. I beat the pants off him, though. I don't think he could get past that and decided to take it out on my grade.

That's so lame of him....really a very strange thing to do...

And Mew, I totally understand where you're coming from about your band director being strict about mistakes! It's probably the best thing they can do, pointing them out, and I am also one of those people who just loves to get better and better.

You've been playing piano since you were four? That's really awesome! I wish I had started earlier. I just started piano two years ago, and I'm not too great. I'm much better at horn, my main instrument (been playing for about...eight years now), and I'm getting back into playing bass guitar (played for eight years too).

Favorite band to play in, anyone?

I enjoy marching band if not for being able to out-play (volume-wise) the entire trumpet section on mellophone, for the endurance it takes to do a fifteen minute field show. Seriously....love doing field shows...hate marching parades...

I loke jazz band too, though I am not very good at improvisation. I can play bass lines til I'm blue in the face, but no improv for me! O_o

Concert band is fun, but I really like doing solo with accompaniment stuff more. Or chamber groups, like brass quintets.

~Ozy~

Years
    I just prefer going down to my friend's basement and jamming. Completly improv on whatever, although he's usually guitar, our other friend does bass/acoustic and I'm on drums. It's a good time. I'm not much for structure.

And as for the director I mentioned, well, pwning him every time I go to Winter Park makes me feel a bit better. I've been meaning to se if he can hold up against me in a bike race.

Mew13

Aqua Trainer
    Years
    I love concert band! Well, for my flute at least. It's hard to play in anything else with that one...

I like to do Jazz Band with piano. It's nice to take a break from classical music every once in awhile. We did a few songs a year ago that I had to play because no one else could. It was pretty funny watching the other two girls try to play it, one playing right hand, the other on left... MUAHAHA!

But, I like to play by myself more than in groups. On piano at least. I love to just mess around on the piano, flipping through whatever book I can find.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    Mew13 said:
    I love concert band! Well, for my flute at least. It's hard to play in anything else with that one...

I like to do Jazz Band with piano. It's nice to take a break from classical music every once in awhile. We did a few songs a year ago that I had to play because no one else could. It was pretty funny watching the other two girls try to play it, one playing right hand, the other on left... MUAHAHA!

But, I like to play by myself more than in groups. On piano at least. I love to just mess around on the piano, flipping through whatever book I can find.

That's cool. My piano teacher at school this year left to go get married. (She's so awesome, and I'm so happy for her!) She gave me one of her old books before she left. A book of etudes of classical through contemporary compositions, because she knows how much I love to play. It's so fun to just play through whatever I can. Piano gives me the freedom to do that.

Horn on the other hand is my main instrument, and the one I'm really, rather severely, graded on. Piano is just a proficciency thing, where on horn I have to be really, really good! (But I'm not...) I have to keep a really strict practice regiment for horn, but I still get a chance to mess around with some stuff once in a while.

I've been doing a bit of singing lately, on my own of course, because my voice is nothing great to listen to. I've been trying to sing harmonies by ear to some songs that I know. It's really quite fun, but I don't think I'd sing it in front of anyone any time soon!

Mew13

Aqua Trainer
    Years
    I know the feeling! I love to sing... and even tried out for Swing Choir last year (got smashed down, oh well). I don't plan on doing that again... I like to sing in groups more. I find I harmonize really well, but don't do well with solos... I really can't do anything accapela (sp??)!

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    Mew13 said:
    I know the feeling! I love to sing... and even tried out for Swing Choir last year (got smashed down, oh well). I don't plan on doing that again... I like to sing in groups more. I find I harmonize really well, but don't do well with solos... I really can't do anything accapela (sp??)!

A capella is SO hard!! Unless I know the song really well, I might as well forget about it...lol. Singing is fun though. I'm picking up the acoustic guitar, and it's a lot easier for me to sing with that than a piano. I played bass in my high school jazz choir for a few years, and that was a lot of fun. I was in the regular chorus too, but it was a dumping ground for people who needed a fine arts credit, so it wasn't fun at all. I dropped it the first semester.

~Ozy~

Years
    I can't sing period. Karoke taught me that lesson well. Not that I don't like to, I just can't stay in one key for more than 30 seconds.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    The Adamant Dodger said:
    I can't sing period. Karoke taught me that lesson well. Not that I don't like to, I just can't stay in one key for more than 30 seconds.

Random fact:

Karaoke means "tone deaf" in Japanese...so weird.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    Mew13 said:
    Haha, that's pretty awesome!

So, what's the one instrument you wished you could play!?

For me, it's violin. I'd love to be able to play violin!

Sitar might be really cool. Any foreign, non-European instrument would be really neat. I'm going to be learning all the European stuff at school, like clarinet and tuba and stuff.

~Ozy~

Years
    Hmmm...I'd have to say I'd like to be able to play sax better. I'm a huge jazz fan and I'd love to be able to play some of the stuff I hear. Sax and trumpets get all the attention. *pout*

Mew13

Aqua Trainer
    Years
    TELL ME ABOUT IT! Have you ever heard a flute in a jazz band!? Nope, it's all classical for us!

But, I shouldn't complain. I get to play with the Choir every once in awhile, which is neat.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    Mew13 said:
    TELL ME ABOUT IT! Have you ever heard a flute in a jazz band!? Nope, it's all classical for us!

But, I shouldn't complain. I get to play with the Choir every once in awhile, which is neat.

Jazz flute has to be one of the coolest things I have ever heard. Ask you band director about what artist to find recordings of. It's REALLY awesome!!

And yeah...trumpet and sax do get a lot of attention...personally, I love brassy stuff, and don't really like the sound of loud alto sax, but tenor and bari rock my socks! Brassy stuff, with squealing trumpets, and a fast, rockin' beat really get me going when it comes to jazz.

~Ozy~

Years
    You know it! My favorite is tenor sax, really. Alto is cool but it begins to grate on the nerves after a bit...Although the solo in Tank! r0x0rs my s0x0rs.

Xhaiden

Cosplayer of Doom
    Years
    *Eyes go wide* I CAN'T BELIVE I NEVER SAW THIS ONE!!!! I wanna join!

I am a drummer....I play in every type of band offered at school....I have no life.....I am speaking in a monotoned voice....I am begining to scare myself......yeah...Seriously though. I've been playin for a little over eight years....

Back