• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Death of Level-10 Gyms

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2017
    Has anyone else noticed fewer Level-10 Gyms? I have a gym near my house that has been level 10 no matter how many times I clear it out. One weekend, I cleared it out three times in two days. Since the gym fighting changes, it doesn't get past level 4 before I can drive by, stop and clear it out again.

It's been a nice change ... I was struggling getting enough revives and healing potions to keep up

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Yes, there are fewer level 10 gyms, it is hard building them up that far. Around here, I'm surprised there are still a few left. Now most gyms are changing hands at least once a day. Definitely more interesting!

Years
    Its not even worth leveling a gym up anymore. May take hours after the gym is high enough.. for 1 level.
    Meanwhile.. when youre done here comes opposing team player...
    Clears out the gym in 5 minutes

Giant waste of time to even put a pokemon in a Gym now

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    In urban areas, everything is virtually unchanged. Gyms just constantly change colors throughout the day. I kinda want to start tracking colors and see if any correlate to time of day.

Suburban and rural areas definitely tend to have a lot higher level gyms due to player density.

VisualJae

Years
    Its not even worth leveling a gym up anymore. May take hours after the gym is high enough.. for 1 level.
    Meanwhile.. when youre done here comes opposing team player...
    Clears out the gym in 5 minutes

Giant waste of time to even put a pokemon in a Gym now
    Not true. Gym raising time usually fall in off-peak hours (say 10 p.m. - 5 a.m.). It takes no more than an average of 3 to 5 minutes per 1000 prestige points if you have the appropriate team combination, unless there are several Lapras and Snorlax defenders in your friendly Gym.

It still takes a solid 1.5 hours to burn a level 10 Gym in its entirety by yourself if it's a well defended one (several mid-high CP2000s Lapras and Snorlax).

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Visible from my work are two gyms. It is interesting to watch them during the day. Currently one is level 10, the other level 9. One interesting thing is that you cannot build a level 10 gym by yourself (unless you have multiple accounts) because you can only put one pokemon in a gym. So building a level 10 gym requires teamwork.

Even though we do not communicate, our team is very successful at leveling these gyms up. Every time one is knocked down we go out and build it back up (but not at the same time). After the recent update they often get stalled out at level 7, because 8, 9, and 10 require 10K prestige increases. But right now they are looking good ... until a rival gets tired of them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I dont understand why people like this or have positive things to say about it.

Destroying level 10 gyms is too easy, and they are so rare that basically the highest one you can find to knock down is often just level 4-6, most gyms are level 3.

So gyms went down from having a capacity of close to 10 pokemon on average to 3 or 4.

That means less gold for everyone, staying in gyms is no longer possible as they all change hands constantly. So its not smart to say it is better or more interesting. Its more work for 30 gold per day compared to less work for 100 gold per day. If you think getting less gold for more work is interesting, maybe you should ditch your high-paying job to work at mc donalds. should be more interesting, right?

VisualJae

Years
    I dont understand why people like this or have positive things to say about it.

Destroying level 10 gyms is too easy, and they are so rare that basically the highest one you can find to knock down is often just level 4-6, most gyms are level 3.

So gyms went down from having a capacity of close to 10 pokemon on average to 3 or 4.

That means less gold for everyone, staying in gyms is no longer possible as they all change hands constantly. So its not smart to say it is better or more interesting. Its more work for 30 gold per day compared to less work for 100 gold per day. If you think getting less gold for more work is interesting, maybe you should ditch your high-paying job to work at mc donalds. should be more interesting, right?
    That's subjective. Some people want to sit and stare at their idle Gyms and collect rewards on a day to day basis without doing anything else. Some people want to beat down Gyms and continuously stay active. And this is no different compared to how the game started out. Every time a game developer decides to patch something to make things easier for casual players, then follow that by reverting the change to make it more difficult (or in this case similar to what it was prior to the prestige boost), people go up in arms as if they lost a vital organ. It's in everyone's best interest to keep the game active. You might be happy your Snorlax can sit at the top of a Gym for two weeks straight, but 99% of the remaining player base in your town is not.

I personally prefer much more work for the maximum reward. 100 gold a day is the maximum. You should have to work extremely hard to get to that point. I'm all for game design where the maximum goal a player can reach should never be obtainable by the average player under normal circumstances. One of my Canadian friends, despite living in a populated urban environment, still manages to end his days holding 10+ Gyms, despite the fact that by the time he wakes up the next day, half of them or more get taken over. I applaud him for that because while I can maybe attempt the feat, I know I'll have to work extra hard have a heavy dose of luck on the side.

Personally I can average 2-3 simultaneous Gyms in the city before the first gets overrun. That's fine with me because I know it's total chaos in controlling territories. That's the fun part for me knowing that competition is out there. If I take the time to drive near my quiet hometown area, I can hold up to five Gyms. Work harder, get the appropriate rewards. I don't see the problem with that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    It just got soooooooo much harder, not just by a little bit. Powering up gyms is not really worth it, the easy way is to knock some gyms down or find some small gyms where you can add a pokemon without doing anything, then cash in, and watch all pokemon come back dead in less than 12 hours. So its a daily grind that takes several hours.

In terms of dust, gyms are dead, not just during this event but in general. Catching 50 pokemon in one hour is relatively easy with the recent changes. Taking your spot in 10 gyms in one hour is much harder. So just catch pokemon, forget the gyms, if you want dust and XP.

But it really screwed over the free to play players by ruining the only source of gold apart from spending money.

After the changes, i successfully knocked down some level 10 gyms, its easy. I never succeeded in leveling up a gym that needs 8000 points to level it up, i tried, what ends up happening is that someone notices the fighting as you spend 45 minutes grinding it up, gives it a quick little kick, and you grinded it up from 42000 to 47000 and now its 34000, and you give up and move on and instead knock down a level 10 gym just out of frustration.

That was the early days, when level 10 gyms still existed after the massive change. Now i just spread the misery by on purpose destroying any gym above level 4, indicating that someone was dumb enough to spend time powering it up. Its pointless, all i do is to occasionally destroy a few gyms and putting in some random pokemon to cash in maybe 30 gold.

Then it also favors cheaters who use 3 accounts. The gyms they knock down to cash in will be 6000/8000 instead of 2000/4000 because they use two additional accounts to put something in, actually giving their gyms a chance to survive 21 hours if they do this to many gyms.

Also, team balance went down the drain. The gyms used to be something like 40% blue, 35% red and 25% yellow, now non-blue gyms are rare. I happen to be blue so it does not affect me too much, the other teams got screwed even harder. I see so many gyms that i cannot destroy because they are blue that i have even more incentive to go for it if i see anything red or yellow anywhere.

Its work harder, and nothing stays for 21 hours, so work hard every day for very little reward.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    During the Thanksgiving special event you also get double dust for staying in gyms. I've managed to stay in 10+ gyms each day of the event so far. It is definitely more difficult after the change, but if I can find a level 5-7 friendly gym I level it up and insert my pokemon. Sometimes they are gone in a few hours, but sometimes they stay for days, even weeks. Gyms at level 1-4 seem to roll over constantly, I usually don't bother with them. Also, I rarely battle enemy gyms.

Sometimes I find a friendly gym which is already level 10. This is frustrating because you can't do anything about that, it is full. I just keep watching it so see if anyone drops it to level 9, but not all the way to 0.

At the moment, I'm in 12 gyms. I'm not sure how many are level 10, I'd guess maybe 3. There are only 2 pokemon which have stayed in the same gym for the whole week. They still show their old CP values!

The Thanksgiving event is ending soon, maybe even in a few hours. Or maybe it is around 28 hours.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Niantic tweaked the gym prestige rules (again) in the past week, although nobody here seems to have realized it. Level 10 gyms are now not so difficult.

I first noticed the change last Saturday, when I battled a friendly gym and it should have gone up to level 5. Instead, it zoomed over 4000 prestige all the way to level 6! WTF?

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
    Niantic tweaked the gym prestige rules (again) in the past week, although nobody here seems to have realized it. Level 10 gyms are now not so difficult.

I first noticed the change last Saturday, when I battled a friendly gym and it should have gone up to level 5. Instead, it zoomed over 4000 prestige all the way to level 6! WTF?
    It is entirely possible someone else was leveling it with you. The formula has not changed.

Anyway, yeah, it's easy to boost Gyms again. If you have the right compositions, you can easily score +1000 points per two minutes of work (including setting up teams, loading, animations, etc.).

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    drive around and take down 10 gyms (high and low level, doesnt matter because its so easy) for 30-40 minutes, collect 100 coins, go home, see youre now holding 5 gyms, wake up in the morning to see 0 gyms. thats usually how it goes for me.

Back