• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The deepest anime you've ever seen?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    So here just talk about any anime that you consider was deep and thought provoking and more or less just say what points made that stick out for you, I choose NGE

I've yet to actually meet someone who understands the true meaning of the thing, and knowing that this was a creation of Hideki Anno, you never really know what it could mean.

I've seen the anime way more times then I should have, and spent to much time on the thing myself, I've spent the most insane amount of time watching the last second half of the end of EVA movie. From all the hidden meaning and such, especially with that one playground scene which I don't fully understand myself, I was able to muster up the smallest conclusion of just the second half of the final movie.

Shinji was in fact like this world's successor of god, and when the egg of Lillith was opened and the souls were all sent into the afterlife one stayed. That was His mother's soul I think, mainly from the last few scenes is were I got that idea. They were the last two souls, so they were forced to kinda restart the human race on their own, ya ya I know it's nasty, but it had to be done...and I'm not entirely sure that final soul was of his mother alone for the pure fact that Rei and Asuka were seen with him in that "world" he created himself.

I know Shinji wouldn't have any real problem dealing with the idea of doing his mom, because of that kiss that he ended up getting from you know who. For some reason though I always thought that she did that in a sort of "this is the last thing I can do to save you" mentality. Even though it did really screw Shinji up even more. So I was thinking that the process of recreating the world under God's power didn't work because of his willingness to do that with the people that he saw as mother figures. So in the end it was kinda like God's backup plan to go ahead and end the human races chances of living because of that, so that is why Shinji had to stay inside of EVA unit one for all of eternity as not only a sign that mankind had existed and done great things, but that also that mankind had grown so corrupt as to be able to end it's own world.

Ack, enough of my ranting. If anyone really didn't get any of that...don't see why most people would ^_^; this is more or less what I type

1)Shinji was chosen to renew the world
    2)People he saw as mother figures ended up liking him
    3)When he finally asked Asuka for help and she said no, it could have driven him crazy.
    4) Shinji was able to open the egg of Lillith under the fact that he thought he could save humanity
    5)All the facts that had been brought up in episodes 1-24 are more or less useless now
    6)We all die, Shinji gets screwed with the task of being a marker for other races.

So those are just my little rants on what I thought was the deepest anime that I've ever seen...now lets not turn this into a EVA thread. Just a thread on why you thought your anime was deep.^^;

Kenta

OK! Kanpeki!
    Years
  • Out of all the animes I treasure, the only one to really move me right now is Yu Yu Hakusho. It gives a great point of view on life and death. Also lots of self sacrifice, courage, and plenty of emotion(and romantic stuff^^). Many people would just call it a fighting anime. I think its deeper than that.
    Kinda like Inuyasha where its got many elements in one(fighting, love, courage, spirit, etc)

Evil Togepi

Yu-Gi-Oh GX owns my SOUL!
    Years
  • I'd say for me it would be Fullmetal Alchemist. Especially during the last few episodes, after every episode the people at the fm_alchemist Live Journal community would post theroies about what would happen by the bucket load and they were all really intresting thought out theories. It really got everyone thinking where the anime was heading, then it would kinda do a U turn and go in a completely different direction to screw us all over XD Though a number of the theories they came up with were actually correct, or close to. It also got a number of members to look up texts and websites to do with real alchemy and the people assosiated with it.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • I admittedly haven't seen too many animes. But the one that I think is deepest of all those that I've seen is yugioh. It's interesting how that one works. It's all about the power of friendship, yet it delves a little deeper than that. It also deals with who you really are. Often they have to rely on their inner or other self as well as their friends to get them out of jams. And even yugioh can have an upset. Just rescently, after everyone has settled into a cliche that Yugi never loses unless under a certain stipulation and that Yami was the good king that sealed away the magic, they go and make a major upset IMO and reveal that the pharoah deep down had an evil heart before he had lost his memory. Not only that, he loses the duel and Yugi loses his soul. Now that's something you don't see every day. :\

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
  • Definately Fullmetal Alchemist. Starts off all cheery and comical, then kicks you right in the groin and goes all dark on you. Tons of people dying for the most selfish causes, plot twists that make you rethink your thoughts on a certain character, how bad the effects of war can be and just how low a military can go when there are people doing things within the military that they shouldn't be doing.

As Evil Togepi mentioned, the final episodes (s'pecially the last two) really get to you and suprise the living hell out of you with some of the things you'd never realize or would expect from day 1.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    The DEEPEST Anime I think of is Cowboy Bebop. That Anime builds up to a climactic confrontation that ends in a seemingly tragic way, unless you really read into the last two episodes and realize how it actually ends.

I gotta say, Yu-Gi-Oh! is pretty involving. It isn't the part where he turns out to have been evil; anyone who knows ANYTHING about Egypt knows there was never a 'good' Pharoah. That didn't surprise me.

What surprised me is:

Spoiler alert:

After the Orichalcus saga and a few final episodes, they change ALL of the characters and jump ahead 100 years. That's what really surprised me about Yu-Gi-Oh.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Um, it's 3 years. The dub and 4kids changed it to 100 years...I dunno why. The show is also a spinoff so no need for the people from the older manga. Unless you've acutally seen the end of the show/manga, which I doubt you have you'd know that there is no need for most people from the old show to come back.

LelandLancaster

Sexy Cupcake
    Years
  • I miss Seto!

The deepest anime that I've ever seen would probably be Trigun or Wolf's Rain. Both are terribly gorgeous storylines and the characters are really fleshed out well. The endings are half bad either. :)

Kougra

I'M A GOOFY GOOBER
    Years
  • I say Fullmetal alchemist and .hack//sign because Fullmetal alchemist is all happy at first then all of a sudden things becom sad.I like .hack//sign because it has a deep storyline but so does fullmetal alchemist :D .

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Blue: Is it 3? I thought Shonen Jump said it was 100 and 4 Kids changed it to 3?

Evangelion. That was darn complex unless you were versed in all the religions they covered in it.

Suzu

~♥~
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 12, 2005
    Angel Sanctuary... well thats a manga, but it's the deepest thing that comes to mind, full of insest, wars between heaven and he11, and simpity for Lucifer... It's really a gothic/horror >.>;;

Lonepichu

Happy-Insane dance time
    Years
  • I agree with the above people, .hack//sign IS a deep anime, so deep that even the animators couldn't end it.

Ahh...talk about digging yourself a hole you can't get out of.

Marik4me

Lover of Ishtar siblings
    Years
  • The deepest animes I've seen are Yu-Gi-Oh! and Gundam Wing. With both of them, sometimes you think you have a character all figured out and that they're "just so," like an above person said about Yami Yugi, and then they go and throw a new twist into the whole thing. Or with someone who's supposed to be "bad," such as Marik or Alister, and then you find out their real motives. Then they don't seem "bad" anymore, just misguided.

Quatre's sudden switch of personalities in the middle of Gundam Wing was an extreme surprise, though understandable. I like Gundam Wing for its war politics and how it really makes you think about the world and what's black and white and what's grey. I like Cowboy Bebop for that reason, too.

RoxasOld

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 29, 2006
    Dragon Ball Z was deep. With the whole Vegeta sacraficing himself thing. And Gohan turning Super Saiyan 2 after and androi tried to defend him from Cell.My brother actually cried when Vegeta sacraficed himself. Another anime was Grave Of The Fireflies. That one got me the closest to crying. All of the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OVA was really deep. I mean, UBER deep.I didnt even expect it to be that deep. When I finally saw them, I was like "Woah!"

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Funny, I never thought DBZ was deep, mainly because Toriyama based whatever he did off fan letters. Grave of the Fireflies was good....really sad. I kinda did cry at that one ^^;.

Gundam0080:War in the Pocket was also good. It was a short OVA, but it showed a boy learning how horriable war really is.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Speaking of Gundam, I do like how they always show the confusion of war, with all the 'higher ups' pulling the strings. That's one of the best parts of it.

That's why I liked Gundam Wing, because all those beauracrats finally get what's coming to them in the show. It's poetic justice at its finest.

Back