• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The disturbing world of Pokémon

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
Years
  • I like this thread already.

So. You've got a world full of creatures with insane powers. And your parents even ALLOW you to go outside, play with them, going on a fricking journey through the country, battling. This alone shows how DIFFERENT the society from the Pokemon world is in regard to ours, even if it seems ever so similar. Considering the topic of Lt. Surge and Admiral Drake, it's easy to conclude that there is an army. One of the veterans in Lt. Surge's gym said he fought alongside him in the war. And now look at the fact that the towns are scattered, there isn't much infrastructure in between, and so many children don't seem to have parents at all. They have none. They died in the war, all they have is their Pokemon, their only companions, who can become monsters. In the end, the Pokemon world could very well be a post-war area. But between who? Two states? Or the Pokemon and the humans? Consider! These creatures could easily kill their young trainers and even the older ones aren't 100% safe, but no one seems to carry weapons. With the technology shown in the Pokemon world, there could be myriads of weapons, even Laser Gun style, and still I have yet to see something as simple as a mace. In a way, the Pokemon are balancing out the human determination of expansion. Maybe there was some kind of treaty between humans and Pokemon: "You won't research in those fields, and we will give your kind a chance, show your children our side. We will get stronger, you will get information. And maybe, there will be peace." That's why the child protagonist is capable of beating the local Team Ambitions - their Pokemon are willing to get themselves beaten to stop them, while the child protagonist cares about his/her Pokemon (hopefully >_>).
    In this aspect, the gyms also double as a defense and filter system against rogue trainers while assessing the combat prowess and willingness to stick to the more or less ancient treaty of the new potential leaders of their respective regions. To expand upon this point, it could very well be that the gym leaders have several teams of varying strength and use one or the other, depending on the number of badges a trainer already has.

There was this nice conversation about this kind of topic on dA somewhere... gotta look if I can find it again. I think one of its conclucsions was that Giovanni actually is a humanist that wants to reinstate human supremacy over Pokemon, but NO some meddling kid had to come along.

Next idea! The legendaries and stronger Pokemon actually let themselves be caught and function as spies to evaluate wether or not humanity abides to the rules that were set up.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    I like this thread already.

Next idea! The legendaries and stronger Pokemon actually let themselves be caught and function as spies to evaluate wether or not humanity abides to the rules that were set up.

It's good to see that a lot of people are liking this thread more and more. Now then, to expand your idea about legendaries. I think when we catch legendaries, we never seem to ask ourselves "Why would ANY legendary let itself get caught so (relatively) easily? I mean, we can catch a time-traveling avatar of all flora in existence; the embodiments of the earth, sea, and sky; the masters of time, space, and antimatter; the creators of free will, emotion, and knowledge; golems of rock, ice, and steel; a colossal golem that moved continents and created the aforementioned rock, ice, and steel golems; a rainbow phoenix and a draconic bird that can cause storms with a flap of its wings among other things.

The answer? Quite simple really. Considering said legendaries, they have been around for like, what? 100? 200? 300 years? or maybe since the dawn of time? while us puny mortals get to live... how much? 70 years? 90 at best? Guessing that such a short amount of time could barely mean anything to any legendaries.

Conclusion? You get to own great forces of nature for a while, then after your time has come, they either OWN you (if some people's beliefs are to be right) or simply they sets themselves free and continue with their business. After all, what's a human lifespan to any legendary at all - ever thought of that? Maybe they've been flipping you off all the time, or just wanted to give you the illusion of having caught a force of nature for real! and gloat about it while it lasts; or simply put, they took a liking to you and wanted to be pals with you. As frightening such a thought could be, it's true - such things can happen in the great scheme of things (provided there's one), so I have to say, kudos to you, good sir!

Back