• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the domain .tk

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Sorry to change the topic, but what is a good free webhost? I think blogspot is okay, because you can customize it to its fullest. But I do also have byethost, that gives you 5 GB of hard drive space, but it kinda sucks... and $10 a year.. wow.. I would get a domain now!
    I used Byethost a few years ago, if it's still as good as it was then it's probably about the best host you'll find for free. Funpic is also free and use to be good, I'm not sure how it is now, but it was able to handle the traffic and bandwidth usage from my site and forums until I absolutely had to make the move to my own paid hosting.

I wouldn't recommend hosting on Freewebs, because they only allow you 500 MB of bandwidth a month. That will not last you a few days if you have high traffic with actual content. Nor does Freewebs allow you to use scripts such as php or give you any MySQL databases like Byethost and Funpic do.

If you're starting your first website, yeah Freewebs would suffice. But if you're looking to find a free host that allows you to use PHP (or other scripting languages) and MySQL, you definitely want Byethost. It should last you until your site reaches the point where you need a paid host to get enough resources to continue it.

When it comes down to a domain name for your site and you can't stand being on a subdomain, then just purchase one. Though it's better to purchase paid hosting because a domain name usually come free with the package. If you're looking for cheap shared hosting, Bluehost and Servage are good places to start.

Sorry for this tl;dr post, but I hope it helps.

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
    I used Byethost a few years ago, if it's still as good as it was then it's probably about the best host you'll find for free. Funpic is also free and use to be good, I'm not sure how it is now, but it was able to handle the traffic and bandwidth usage from my site and forums until I absolutely had to make the move to my own paid hosting.

I wouldn't recommend hosting on Freewebs, because they only allow you 500 MB of bandwidth a month. That will not last you a few days if you have high traffic with actual content. Nor does Freewebs allow you to use scripts such as php or give you any MySQL databases like Byethost and Funpic do.

If you're starting your first website, yeah Freewebs would suffice. But if you're looking to find a free host that allows you to use PHP (or other scripting languages) and MySQL, you definitely want Byethost. It should last you until your site reaches the point where you need a paid host to get enough resources to continue it.

When it comes down to a domain name for your site and you can't stand being on a subdomain, then just purchase one. Though it's better to purchase paid hosting because a domain name usually come free with the package. If you're looking for cheap shared hosting, Bluehost and Servage are good places to start.

Sorry for this tl;dr post, but I hope it helps.
    Oh, geez. We don't USE a sitebuilder; we upload our own files and our pictures are either uploaded to our account or Tinypic

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Don't fall for that "domain free with hosting package" hook that businesses use; too many hosting forms follow suit with these hidden gotchas that will give you nothing but trouble in the long run. Register your domain and purchase your web hosting separately. You're going to end up spending a lot more money than you need to otherwise, and possibly entangling yourself with domain ownership disputes that'll cost you $100 at the minimum once you decide to switch hosting services. And trust me, you will move hosts eventually; your needs change as your website does. Don't take your problems with you.

Back