• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hardest Catch

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Can't quite remember the hardest one right now lol... But thinking back on the times of a free shiny gyarados thanks to Pokemon Gold, he was a little bit of a pain since i always go through my runs maintaining my Pokemon about the same level or just one or two under the Pokemon around me and the gym leaders... For sake of making the game more challenging >,< (My petilil right now is urging to evolve lol, and i actually want to evolve her but am waiting until i get giga drain and a couple more moves).

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Why was Vulpix hard to catch? A Vulpix? I can understand a Ninetales, but a Vulpix? Stupid fox. Misdreavus is terrible, too.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    I had Rayquaza troubles back in...I think Ruby. And an Onix in HG used up all my pokeballs..I had like 40. The thing was around level 13 and it just would not go.

Years
  • I wanted to catch Articuno in Platinum with a Heal Ball. Just because. Obviously it took forever because the catch rate is low and he runs away >_<

Years
  • Suicune in Soul Silver!!! Suicune is my favorite Pokemon and I was so determined to catch it that I sat there for hours!

Zephyn

Rainmaker
    Years
  • Entei in HeartGold. I must've killed it about fifty times over the course of a month trying to catch the thing. -_-

The worst non-roamer would easily be Mewtwo. Wasted something like 15 Ultra Balls and 60 Great Balls, plus about 20 of the other ones.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    Latios in R/S/E when I didn't have a master ball. I only had one Pokemon with mean look which was a Crobat, weak to Latios' STAB move, so you can imagine what it was like.

Regirock was incredibly hard to catch too. I have no idea why - because I got the other two with ease - but Regirock was notably harder to catch in comparison to his brothers.

Also, Beldum in Diamond. Sounds silly, but Beldum has a catch rate of 3. Then take into account I'd chained a shiny one and thus my heart was going 10 million beats an hour... A thrilling catch, but a really tough one. I think I had a Gengar that just spammed hypnosis like crazy, or something that kept putting it to sleep. I managed it eventually, but it only has 20 take down pp and then resorts to struggle, so I had to be cautious as to not let it take itself out.

BlueMageBrilly

The Blue Mage
    Years
  • Pretty much what Kajini said awhile ago! Rayquaza and Onix, man! They take up all your Pokeballs! I didn't have a Master Ball for Ray, having used it on Groudon, and back in yellow-Mono challenge I put myself in (not too long ago, actually!) I ended up using like, 15 pokeballs just to capture one Onix!

I also spent a HUGE amount of Timer balls and Ultra balls on the Regi Pokemon in Ruby. They refused to get in the ball, and I didn't even get Registeel 'cause I ran out!

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I went after Lugia in my Crystal version with about 40 or so Ultra Balls and I also had a handful of Great Balls and 1 Poke Ball in my bag. I got it down to about 1 HP and just started throwing Ultra Balls over and over and over again but it refused to be captured. I ended up using all of my Ultra Balls and used up the few Great Balls I had. At this point I am just getting upset. All I had left was one little lousy Poke Ball. Anyway, I threw and and lo and behold the damn thing was caught. In a freaking Poke Ball! That Lugia was just being a piece.

Bayrock

Dedicated
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    Oh wow, when I was quite a lot younger; back when Ruby and Sapphire had just released. I always a lot of trouble catching the Legendaries, because I thought it was cool to use Pokéballs instead of the better ones.

Now that I think about it, I regret nothing. haha.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • My hardest catch were the roaming Eon Pokemon (Latias/Latios) in Emerald. I used any ball to capture them. I used random balls to catch them. My luckiest and hardest catch was Latios in SS, in which I captured it in an ordinary Pokeball.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
    Years
  • Latios in Ruby. Ugh, that thing gave me nightmares. No matter what I threw at him, he broke out of it. I chased him for a week and kept emptying out my bag, trying to catch him. My husband, seeing how frustrated I was, finally took pity on me and sent over a couple of Master Balls he had on his copy of Sapphire. After that, Latios was mine.

Nowadays, I save my Master Ball(s) for the roamers. I never want to go through something like that again.

dash!

Epic
    Years
  • Chansey and Dratini in the Safari zone.
    Ho-oh in Silver..
    And then there's.... roaming Pokemon. -__- I gotta say that they take the cake as the hardest to catch.

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
    Years
  • Articuno, in Yellow. I spent ages trying to catch him & once when I nearly had him I pressed fight by accident & Pikachu defeated him. Luckily I'd saved beforehand! (Made that mistake once before & had to go back soooo far!)

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    I'd say Latios. I used my masterball on Rayquaza and I searched far in wide for it. And it'd always RUN! You'd think a legendary pokemon wouldn't be such a pus...

Years
  • for me it was Regirock on Ruby... i saved before i fought him and still had to reset my game a few times. he used all his move and killed himself using struggle... took me about 30 ultra balls and even more timer balls

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2012
    Beldum in Pearl. Same catch rate as legendaries and only uses Take Down (kills itself with Recoil a lot).

Back