• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Illusion is Revealed

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Big text to grab your attention.

Stop calling Illusion overpowered or saying it will be overused. Zoroark is ONE Pokemon. Not every team is going to keel over and add a random Dark-type to their team just so they can have a small, easy to dispel trick that only works with proper synergy.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    Big text to grab your attention.

Stop calling Illusion overpowered or saying it will be overused. Zoroark is ONE Pokemon. Not every team is going to keel over and add a random Dark-type to their team just so they can have a small, easy to dispel trick that only works with proper synergy.

Not in the competative scene (at least the one that counts anyway). But I am willing to bet that a great deal of younger players (you know the ones that come at you with waves of AR'd legendaries) will have it, just like when Lucario was first available...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Not in the competative scene (at least the one that counts anyway). But I am willing to bet that a great deal of younger players (you know the ones that come at you with waves of AR'd legendaries) will have it, just like when Lucario was first available...

Trudat Homie-G

It's all because of that damn movie >: (

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
    Honestly, We already have Ditto I really don't want to face a pokemon with a similiar ability. BUt it's Nintendo and it's their game...

Azure-Supernova

Years
    Than.. Don't battle people like that? *shrugs* ´:D

[/fail]

Alright, you've got a point ._.

I wish it was that simple...

You know when I first took a swing at going online with Diamond 8 out of my first 10 opponents fell into one of two categories:

1. Team of Legendaries (AR'd at lvl 100)
    2. Team of Rare Candied Pokémon lvl 100 (horrendous stats made that obvious

Also from counting (I know, sad right, but I was actually intersted to see this) 3/5 trainers had a Lucario in there team. Props to personal choice, but let's face it Lucario can be okay with the right stats but there are better options and they were in high demand when DP came out.

Chances are Zoroarak will be the same... in high demand and frequently AR'd.

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
    It can turn Zorua/Zoroark into the Pokémon in your second party slot.

IMO, why couldn't you just send out.. let's say.. Vespiquen instead of having Zorua transform into Vespiquen?

But, no doubt it would be cool. I love their designs and I am definitely going to try and find one when I get the game.

Turnabout

bonk!
    Years
    I bet it'll be loads of fun to play with at first, but I'm sure most people won't make Zoroark a permanent addition to their team.
    but it'll be annoying at first sure, since everyone will have one..

Also, I just love gimmicky pokemon, so zoroark gets off easy haha :D

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    More big text to grab attention.

Zoroark isn't like Ditto at all. Ditto actually changes into the foe, while Zoroark merely makes the enemy perceive it as so. Ditto's molecular and physiological structure morphs when it uses Transform, Zoroark's does not. Ditto can transform into a Bulbasaur and block attacks with its Vine Whip. Zoroark can try to the same, but the attack would probably just go through the vines and dispel the illusion.

Gameplay-wise, it may seem the same, but it's not -- Ditto gains the base stats and attacks of the foe's Pokemon (except HP), while Zoroark retains its own. In addition, Ditto's transformation is "permanent."

It can turn Zorua/Zoroark into the Pokémon in your second party slot.

IMO, why couldn't you just send out.. let's say.. Vespiquen instead of having Zorua transform into Vespiquen?

But, no doubt it would be cool. I love their designs and I am definitely going to try and find one when I get the game.

Because Vespiquen isn't a Dark-type and it doesn't learn any of the attacks Zorua or Zoroark do. Why would you want to send out Vespiquen against Solrock when you know it has Rock Slide? You don't! So you send out Zoroark dressed up as it, save yourself from getting 4x'ed and hit Solrock back for super effective damage. The point isn't to look like the foe in a purely cosmetic way (the effect isn't permanent anyway), but to trick your foe.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I'm wondering how the nickname thing will work with Zoroark. It will make nicknames actually have use in battles in some way or another.

If it changes the nickname to the Pokemon it makes itself look like, it will make it obvious that that's Zoroark if you nicknamed all your other Pokemon. If it doesn't change the nickname then giving it a nickname could give it a way; if say you nicknamed it Foxy, but it doesn't have to be that obvious and you could still work it out.

It might be best if it changes the nickname to the nickname of your second Pokemon.

Azure-Supernova

Years
    More big text to grab attention.

Zoroark isn't like Ditto at all. Ditto actually changes into the foe, while Zoroark merely makes the enemy perceive it as so. Ditto's molecular and physiological structure morphs when it uses Transform, Zoroark's does not. Ditto can transform into a Bulbasaur and block attacks with its Vine Whip. Zoroark can try to the same, but the attack would probably just go through the vines and dispel the illusion.

Gameplay-wise, it may seem the same, but it's not -- Ditto gains the base stats and attacks of the foe's Pokemon (except HP), while Zoroark retains its own. In addition, Ditto's transformation is "permanent."

Because Vespiquen isn't a Dark-type and it doesn't learn any of the attacks Zorua or Zoroark do. Why would you want to send out Vespiquen against Solrock when you know it has Rock Slide? You don't! So you send out Zoroark dressed up as it, save yourself from getting 4x'ed and hit Solrock back for super effective damage. The point isn't to look like the foe in a purely cosmetic way (the effect isn't permanent anyway), but to trick your foe.

The important thing here though, is that we've seen that it changed back after it takes damage, no? So will it be a set amount of damage (so maybe after losing 1/3 HP it reverts) or just any damage?

Let me stipulate on the latter: Stealth Rock. These entry hazards, will they nullify the Illusion? I wonder...

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    The important thing here though, is that we've seen that it changed back after it takes damage, no? So will it be a set amount of damage (so maybe after losing 1/3 HP it reverts) or just any damage?

Let me stipulate on the latter: Stealth Rock. These entry hazards, will they nullify the Illusion? I wonder...

It's hard to tell if there is a set amount of damage that needs to be dealt, but I'm assuming that there isn't because if memory serves then the amount of damage Zoroark takes in the video is a rather small amount, bu the change still happens.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I love the idea, but wouldn't there be some drawbacks to it as well? Like Zoroark only being able to transform every few turns or so? If there weren't any then that would make Zoroark like the ultimate pokemon :O

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    I love the idea, but wouldn't there be some drawbacks to it as well? Like Zoroark only being able to transform every few turns or so? If there weren't any then that would make Zoroark like the ultimate pokemon :O

Well from what we've seen as soon as they're hit or have taken a certain amount of damage then they're revealed. I'm assuming that once they transform back then they stay that way.

Back