• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Incredible Surprise

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2013
    Regardless of one being a pokègeek who does a thorough research or not, I assume all of us had a quite surprise with at least one Pokègame we had played.

What was your reaction to those surprises?
    ~●~

My experiences:
    #1.
    Me after seeing my first shiny pokèmon, 'Uhhh... What was that?' And also, 'What the hell is this color?!?! Did I fu*$!ng got corrupted or what?!?!'

After checking in the internet what that differently colored pokèmon was, 'F*ck!!!!!!!! Why did I kill it?!?!?!?!'

#2.
    After seeing the word Pokèrus here, 'What does that mean?'
    After researching pokèrus, 'EV??? What is EV???'
    After checking what EV is, 'Effort Value?!?! That is so cool! Why did they not think of it before?!'
    Then I saw in bulbapedia that EV was already in play in Gen 2, 'Ehhh?! Really?!?!'

Now what I feel, 'God d@mn I'm such a noob!'

Lol.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Let's see...

1. When I looked at my red version Blastoise in Pokémon Stadium 2, I discovered he was actually shiny! My only exposure to shiny Pokémon had been the Red Gyarados, and I knew they were supposed to be rare, so I was surprised that the Squirtle I happened to pick up in red was shiny. Of course, since I didn't want to trade my Blastoise to GSC, I never really got to enjoy its shininess much, but still.

2. I recall being surprised that I could visit Kanto in GSC after beating the Elite Four. I got a guide book sometime after that, but I don't think I had one at that point. Soon after, I was also surprised by how much less time it took to traverse Kanto in GSC than it did in RBY.

3. At one point in Gold (after trading with a friend), my game reset to the title screen with inverted colors. Fortunately, when I reset the system, the colors returned to normal, but it I did worry that my game might have permanent problems.

4. Pretty much anything involving glitches in Red the first time I saw it.

I haven't really been surprised by plot points or game mechanics since partway through generation II (when I became more aware of outside resources for learning more about Pokémon, breeding, battling, etc.). However, if we include spin-off games, I've been surprised by some of the plot points in the Mystery Dungeon series.

Back