• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Legend of Zelda - The Phantom Hourglass

Omnicron

Game Critic
    Years
    So, it's finally here... Zelda on the DS. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I personally thought we were going to get a remake of Ocarina of Time, because of the DS's card space, but lo and behold! We get a fabulous Wind Waker styled game! Although i am worried about a few things...

Pros -
    :donut: It's Wind Waker style! i fell in love with it as soon as my eyes saw a screenshot.

:donut: Apparantly the story is continued on from Wind Waker too! Although it does seem very simmilar to the dismal gameboy outing "Link's Awakening"

:donut: It looks to be very user friendly. In Wind Waker, as soon as people saw the sailing system, their hearts leapt. But after a while of actually sailing, they came to the conclusion that SAILING SUCKS. It only became less boring if you got Ballad of the Gales to help you out. So now, you plot your route with the stylus! No more being at the mercy of the wind!

:donut: Combat looks fairly simple.

Cons -

:donut: It's completley stylus controlled. :( Although this could open up new and exciting possibilities to gameplay, we're all probably going to turn our hands to jelly playing with our stick. (try to say that without laughing)

:donut: The size of the map. It looks to be a fairly small world, but this could soon change. It was only an E3 demo after all...

:donut: Everyones favorite annoying fairy makes a return! Personally, i loved Navi, but her constant jabbering (eg. "I'm worried about Saria too!" Stupid Forest Temple.) could really become quite annoying. It seems as if she has the same little catch phrases that she did last time (If you could call "Hey!" and "Listen!" catchphrases) and these seem to be voice clips directly from the Ocarina of Time.

:donut: Technically, it's not really a 3D zelda game. Sure, it's been jazzed up with 3D graphics, but it's an overhead Zelda game. Although The Minish Cap and A Link to the Past were fun games, I would really be sucked in by a true 3D Zelda game. But the DS's hardware probably can't handle it.

And yes, i am completley aware my dot points are donuts.

EDIT: By the way, feel free to discuss the game in this thread, and share your opinions! This could be the Official Phantom Hourglass Discussion Thread.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Shadeslayer, I don't think anyone will hurt you for not wanting.

People hurting Omnicron for calling Link's Awakening "dismal" however... @@ LA is a historic title in gaming. It showed that the Game Boy could have games that could compare with the SuperNES.

Anyway... I don't mind the cel-shaded graphics. It works considering it's a sequel to TWW and it has a simple control scheme. Also have nothing against Navi. She never bothered me.

The fact that it's all stylus controlled however. No. Just no. Maybe the standard Zelda system plus stylus controls but don't remove the classic Zelda system! It's perfect. Based on reports I've heard of people who played the E3 demo they hate the controls. They said that the game is not fun at all.

Omnicron

Game Critic
    Years
    I heard about the controls from hands on reviews from people who had played the E3 demo. It looks as if a lot of people are angry with it, but others are really looking foward to this game. I've made worse decisions with buying games (I don't care what anyone else says, New Super Mario Bros. was the worst game ever), so i'm probably going to buy this anyway. There are only a few games from E3 that made me excited, like Final Fantasy III, and of course, The Phantom Hourglass. oh and...

Shadeslayer said:
    I don't want it.:nervous: Please don't hurt me.

I completley understand that. No one is going to hurt you. A lot of people are going to reject this game because of the stylus controlled gameplay based on what we saw at E3. Could this be Zelda's darkest hour? Only time will tell.

TRIFORCE89 said:
    People hurting Omnicron for calling Link's Awakening "dismal" however...

I'm not saying it was a bad game. I'm just saying the storyline didn't piticularly appeal to me.

Back