• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Legendaries seem to have gotten less interesting after Gen 4

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I think the main problem is that the suspense of getting a legendary has been completely taken away. You are guaranteed to get the box art legendaries post-gen 5 as their capture rates have been heighted significantly to a point where you can easily get one in a pokeball. I remember when I was a kid, I would be floored if you caught Rayquaza in a Pokeball because it was that hard to do. But now, you don't even have that anymore. The reason why legendaries don't feel legendary anyone is because you are guaranteed to get it. So now, everyone can have a legendary in a Pokeball, thus that suspense is lost.

I think what makes this worse( it's a bit minor, but still) is the fact that the legendaries since gen 6 are shiny locked. Meaning, they loose some of the value the could've had. I remember when I saw people with shiny pokemon in gen 4 and I was astounded because unlike the red Gyrados, they were that hard to find. I even remember people doing SRs for shinies and failing. It hurt to see that because before gen 5, you only had one chance and once it's gone, it's gone. In essence, you had to work for it.

But nowdays, by increasing the capture rate and removing that value for a shiny, legendaries just become, "meh". Everyone can have a legendary, so how is it special anymore when you over saturate the market with them? And don't even get me started on how Gamefreak gives them out like my grandmother's candy. I remember before SM came out, they had a giveaway of EVERY. SIGNLE. LEGENDARY. POSSIBLE. Like, I get it's the 20th anniversary, but come on. They could've at least reserved it for SM for people to actually, you know, catch? I did every event Pokemon with my Y and ORAS versions and got three of each legendary. It's ridiculous how easy it is to farm for them.

An easy solution they could do is tone down the number of events, or make the legendary harder to find/catch. That way, it's worth something to get it. Because right now, it just feels hollow getting one. (with maybe the exception of Nebby because it had story-related reasons, but meh, it should still be hard to catch).

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I agree with the whole concept of literally having legendaries handed to you as completely stupid. It's like, wow, Arceus the god of all pokemon. You must have to jump through all kind of hoops to get it, right? What's that, you just go to a guy and he hands you it? WTF? Where's the magic in that, and why the hell does this guy have the god of all pokemon? (And if you were that guy, would you hand it over... XD)

The other thing that seemed weirdly stupid in D/P/Pt was the whole Shaymin event. Shaymin is cool, the fact that you open up a whole new area of the map to get it was cool, and it's nice that you have to do an actual battle to catch it. The stupid part, however, is that going through that entire new area, there isn't a damn thing other than a bunch of pretty flowers to look at! They could of at least thrown in some grass with some different wild pokemon you can't get anywhere else in the game. Hell, throw in some trainers that have really high level pokemon. At least throw something else in there and be more creative, come on. >:/

Guest123_x1

The increasing emphasis on legendaries over the past few generations, especially as part of a game's main story, has left quite a bit to be desired, IMO. Seems as if having to stick legendary Pokémon in the main story line to progress through the game has diluted the meaning of "legendary". I remember when legendary Pokémon were of a different kind of importance: A side quest to take along your journey when going through a cave/dungeon, and the fact that in the earlier games, you only got one chance to catch a particular legendary Pokémon during a save file.

Introducing maybe four or five legendary Pokémon in a generation is fine, but the past few generations have introduced a whole bunch, which I think has gotten to the point of "too much."

Back