• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The more you know?

FlaafyFTW

Researcher of Orange Lore
Years
Recently getting back into writing over the summer, I've found that writing for me had changed.

In order to explain, I guess I'd have to explain a bit more about myself. I'm a Year 6 teacher in a primary school and with the 2014/15 overhaul of the primary curriculum, the things I found myself teaching had changed. Year 6 is known as "SATs year" and, although writing no longer is an exam, writing is assessed by the teacher according to a set of government guidelines.

These guidelines are shared with the children and are essentially split into various "I can" statements (have a look at page 6 if you're feeling curious: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/510902/STA-Ex2016-KS2-EW-AlexAnn_PDFA.pdf )

With the government overhaul, gone are the days or teaching anything about creativity and flair - everything boils down to teaching elements of SPaG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) that used to be found at GCSE or even A Level!

Naturally, teaching this way has trained my senses to spot a relative/subordinate/embedded clause and correct colon/semicolon use as well as shifts in formality from a mile off but when I came back to writing myself this summer, this was all I could think about!

I'd find myself going back through my work to check that I'd used different sentence types and structures, a range of punctuation and had varied my openers and tenses in each sentence. And, to tell the truth, it was incredibly disheartening! Thankfully I've found a way to enjoy writing as I can do a bit when my schedule permits me to but even still, I feel as if my current writing is coming off as cold and mechanical.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is - has anyone ever found that learning more about SPaG and the English language has had an effect on their writing?

Back