• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The movie rating thread!

Years
  • Welcome to the movie rating thread!
    In this topic i will rate movies out from my point of view, and you are welcome to comment on my reviews and ratings, and even give your own ratings of movies you've seen!

Ratings will be given from 0-10
    And hey, why not start with the dvd's i have in my cabinet.. i can start from an end:
    (Note: When i write starring, i'll just write the leading chars and the obviously most famous ones...)

28 Days Later:
    Director: Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, The Beach)
    Starring: Cillian Murphy (Batman Begins, Red Eye)
    Genre: Horror/Science Fiction

Rating: 8/10

A group of Greenpeace activists breaks into a research facility where cruel animal experiments are taking place. The scientist working there, strongly recommends the activists not to let the animals free, they are carrying a sort of disease. But against the scientists warnings, they let the animals free and all hell break loose. The animals carries a disease that makes them mindless, violent creatures that thinks of nothing else than killing or beating other creatures up. The animals attacks the activists and infects them, simply by coughing up blood on them, turning the humans into exactly what the animals are. 28 days later Jim (Cillian Murphy) wakes up in a hospital, not remembering anything that has happened, but slowly the truth settles in and together with a small group of "survivors" he takes out to find other people and a way to escape this hell, but they soon learn, they disease is not the only thing to fear...

My personal rating:
    Good movie, a Cillian Murphy in one of his first more credit making roles, and a very good view of what could happen if a disease like that was ever evolved. If you ever saw this as a trailer some years back and thought; "Hey, that movie looks like a zombie movie, i love zombie movies, gotta see it", then dont see it. Simply because its not a zombie movie, and you probably will get dissapointed if you see it, expecting alot of blood and zombies. I know personally i was expecting a zombie movie when i saw the trailers from it... But i was told it was not when i borrowed it from a friend, and not expecting it i saw the movie and liked it.
    Final statement: See it if you like a decent flick and a not too far out sci-fi movie. On the horror site it lacks a bit, but never the less it might scare some faint hearted people at some points. Overall, thumbs up.

The Aviator:
    Director: Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Cape Fear, Gangs of New York)
    Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Titanic, etc..), Cate Blanchett (LOTR The Gift, Bandits), Kate Beckinsale (Underworld, Van Helsing), Alec Baldwin (Lol, is further introduction really necesarry? XD) and Jude Law (Gattaca, Enemy at the gates, Sky captain and the world of tomorrow)
    Genre: Action/Drama

Rating: 8/10

The story of the life of Howard Hughes; How he build the worlds fastest planes, became the richest man in the world, laid down Hollywood stars all the time, all the while he kept setting world records in speed by flying. He was the man who built the Hercules plane though no one believed in him and he was the man who built the very first stealth plane for the US goverment. But behind all his success there was a terrible truth; he was paranoide, had a dozen of fobias and was dislusional...

My personal rating:
    Again; decent flick, i was worked up about this movie cause it had Martin Scorsese at the wheel and Leonardo DiCaprio as leading role (and yes, i do admire Leonardo for his acting though many may think other wise.) But i got kinda dissapointed when i finally saw this movie (i didn't catch it in the cinemas, but saw it on dvd) The trailer worked it up too much, and that kinda destroyed the movie when it came out. But anyways, a decent movie with some good acting in it, especially Leonardo puts on a great show playing Howard, and Cate Blanchett does good as Katherine Hepburn too.
    Final Statement: See it if you have nothing better to do on a friday or saturday night, or heck, any other night, i can only give it thumbs up even though it might be slow and dragging at some points.

Anger Management:
    Director: Peter Segal (Nutty Professor II, 50 first dates, The Longest Yard)
    Starring: Jack Nicholson (The shining, Batman, About Smith), Adam Sandler (50 first dates, Big Daddy, The Longest Yard)

Rating: 7.5/10

Dave Buznik is a regular man, but under an unfortunate episode on a plane is admitted to take anger management classes. But Dave's normally calm temper is put on a test when the leader of the class, Dr. Buddy Rydell, can make any sane person run screaming away, and after awhile it gets quite hard to see who really needs the treatment...

My personal rating:
    One of Adam Sandlers funniest movies IMO. Sure he's made a few funny movies, but they dont really do it for me, they're like... always stuck in the middle at some point, and for me, the person who makes this movie at least get some good credit is Jack Nicholson. He takes this average comedy and gives it a new level with his insanity, and though he's not getting younger his acting doesn't get badder. And dont get me wrong, this is far from his best movie, The Shining was an awesome movie, and i personally think he did a great job as The Joker in the first real Batman movie from 1989. But let me get back on the movie; its great if you want a good laugh on a boring night, and i especially love hearing Adam Sandler sing "I feel pretty" when they pull over on the bridge... and Woody Harrelson as Galaxia, the shemale prostitute isn't bad either ;P hehe...
    Final Statement: A comedy worth a look if there's nothing better on the tv, but still thumbs up for Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson in this movie.

Alexander:
    Director: Oliver Stone (Platoon, Any Given Sunday, JFK)
    Starring: Colin Farrel (DareDevil, S.W.A.T.), Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider, The Bone Collector), Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the lambs, Dracula, Nixon)
    Genre: Action/Drama

Rating: 6.5/10

At the age of 25, Alexander the great has conquered 90% of the known world. This is the story of the boy Alexander, son of King Philip whom after his fathers dead took the throne with help from his mother, which was by many regarded a witch. In 8 years he conquered 35.000 km of land and at his death at the age of 33 he was the leader of the most amazing kingdom which likes have never been seen before.

My personal rating:
    Gah. That was the first impression I had of this movie when I saw it. Sure it has alot of big names on the role list and an academy award winning director, but this movie was not what you would expect. First of all, it takes alot of coffee to drag yourself through 2 hours and 48 mins of this movie without falling asleep, its simply... long. Mainly because it has so much talk and so little action, i think it has about 2 great fight scenes and thats that, the rest of the movie is talking and story telling about whom Alexander was and what happened in his life. Never the less, it is still interesting to see the story from a historical point of view, i love movies that tells a somewhat true story about people that have existed and done great things. I was somewhat surprised to see all the gay stuff happening in this movie (not that im homofobic, its just alot for one movie of those standards) early in the movie you see a guy getting dragged along to be raped, and later in the movie the whole relationship Alexander has with his best friend Hefastion also escalades >_>... Anyhow, my final verdict is that if you like the sort of movie where you have to drag through almost 3 hours of history lesson, then go for it, but else i wouldn't recommend it. Also, Angelina Jolie is hot as always, hehe...

Alien:
    Director: Ridley Scott (Gladiator)
    Starring: Sigourney Weaver (Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2)
    Genre: Sci-fi/Horror

Rating: 9.5/10

The massive space ship, The Nostromo glides through space. Destination; Earth. Aboard the ship is the 7 member crew, aware of nothing in their cryo sleep chambers. But a distress call from a planet nearby wakes the crew and they go to check out, but there is nothing on the planet, or so it seems. Suddenly one of the crew memerbs get attacked by some weird creature that clings to his face. This is the start of the horror that will kill 6 crew members and alter the life of the 7th forever.

My personal rating:
    Pure genius! This movie is so absolute awesome, especially considering that it was made a while ago. Sigourney Weaver is awesome and the a** kicking Ellen Ripley and the Aliens in this movie is actually so well made you actually could believe instead of all those lame egg-faced aliens people always make when they think of aliens. Well there isn't really much to say about this movie, its not a boring movie in any way, so you're in for good quality the whole movie through, so the final verdict is: See this movie! I dont care if you dont like sci-fi's or pee in your bed at night if you see a horror movie! This movie is a classic and just a movie everyone should have seen, hehe.

Aliens:
    Director: James Cameron (The Terminator, Terminator 2, Titanic)
    Starring: Sigourney Weaver
    Genre: sci-fi/Horror

Rating: 9/10

After escaping from the Nostromo seconds before its destruction, Ripley floats in space for 57 years. When a salvage team finally picks up her escape pod, Ripley is taken to a space station in the Earth orbit, only to learn that the planet they encountered the alien on has been colonized for over 20 years. Ripleys story is met with disbelief, but when they loose communication with the planet they send a team of high-tech colonial marines off, along with Ripley to lead them, and only to find the horror of more aliens awaiting them.

My personal rating:
    Another awesome movie in this series, though not as good as the first one IMO. It will still captivate the viewer and make sure you get a good horror experience out of it. Weaver is back as Ripley and is ready to take on the aliens one more time with a little more knowledge and a helluvalot more weapons than the last time!
    Final verdict: Again, a must see for everyone, especially if you watched the first movie, then you gotta see this one, there's not really much to say here than what i said about the first Alien movie, cause in awesomeness, they're more or less the same.

Alien 3:
    Director: David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club)
    Starring: Sigourney Weaver

Rating 9/10

Ripley once again awakens from cryo-sleep only to find out things are not as they should be. Not only is she no longer on the ship that carried her away from the alien planet, but she also finds out that the two other survivors who were with her are gone. She finds herself on the prison planet Fiorina 161, where she suspects an alien may have travelled with her. But her biggest shock comes when she discovers that the inmates posses no advanced technology, nor weapons...

My personal rating: This movie holds the same great quality as the first two, is filled with just as much horror, action and killing. Weaver once again takes on the role as Ripley, who this time not only is faced with the danger of the aliens, but also inmates who hate her for bringing it to them, and loving her for being a woman... The aliens got retouched a big deal for this movie as it chose an animal as its host, so it got a more dog-like way og running and attacking, which made it more dangerous and more wicked than in the others.
    Final Verdict: >_> Look above

Alien Resurrection:
    Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Only made french movies besides this one, so I bet you dont know any of them... I dont)
    Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder (Girl Interrupted), Ron Pearlman (Blade II, Hellboy), Brad Dourif (LOTR TT, Childs play), Michael Wincott (The Crow)

Rating: 8.5/10

Two hundred years have past since Ripley made the ultimate sacrifice on Fiorina 161. Over those years and several failed experiements later, scientists have finally managed to create a perfect clone replica of Ripley, a replica that also includes the queen alien growing inside her at the time of her death. But the aliens bred from the experiment is far more clever than they ever have been before - An unfortunate fact the scientist dont realize untill after the crew from The Betty arrives, bringing more nourishment to the aliens in form of more humans.

My personal rating:
    Meh, this movies isn't all that bad, but its worse than the other 3 movies in the series, IMO they took it a ½ step too far. And by that i dont mean its crap or that it doesn't live up to the alien legacy, cause it does. Ripley is back and badder than ever! Thanks to the experiment of cloning her with the queen alien inside her, she has developed super natural powers and is ready to kick some alien butt! This movie also got boosted by adding additional stars this time in the form of Ron Pearlman and Winona Ryder. I, myself, is a big fan of Ron, i simply love his acting especially as Hellboy, and he's quite funny looking too with the whole caveman look going on, but thats just how he looks >_>... Either way...
    Final Verdict: If you've seen the other ones, then see this one, if you haven't, then dont, cause you simply wouldn't catch the point, and its not worth watching unless you've seen the other ones and like them. But still overall, a good horror/sci-fi/raw action flick

Alien VS. Predator:
    Director: Paul W. S. Anderson (Mortal Combat, Resident Evil)
    Starring: Sanaa Lathan (Blade)

Rating: 3/10

Somewhere under the ice masses of antartica a satellite picks up signs up a old structure, hidden for centures. The leader of the big multi-billion company Weyland enterprises, Charles Bishop Weyland (Yes, THE bishop from the other movies) starts an expedition to uncover the secrets of this mystery, but what the team of scientists dont know, is that they're about to enter an ancient battle that has been going on since the dawn of time between to alien races, and the humans will be caught in the middle...

My personal rating: Oh my god... This movie is a disgrace, towards both Alien and Predator! I mean, like many other fans of this franchise i was a bit hyped about this, come on! It was the two most famous alien races from the big screen that was clashing! But it turned out bad... They story wasn't worthy, the acting was bad (thats what you get from hiring 2nd class actors cause you spend too many money on the visuals!!!) and wtf is that whole beauty and the beast thing going on in the end?!?!?! Come on Hollywood! Woman Kills Alien, Predator sees woman as Predator, Predator and woman goes out to hunt aliens together ._____. I was at least expecting some quality when i saw it was Paul Anderson directing, at least he made a decent movie out of Mortal Combat, and 50/50 movie out of Resident Evil, but this one totally sucked... Okay, i can go on hating this movie forever, and i prolly will with the sequel too, if it ever comes, so lets just get down to the...
    Final Verdict: DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE! At least not if you wanna loose all the good memories you've ever had about the Alien and Predator movies... *Sighs* But if you wanna see a lame movie with some butt kicking aliens and humans, then go ahead >_>

Back