• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nuzlocke Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaveSage

Eccentric Sheep
    Years
    ~The Nuzlocke Challenge Thread~

Hello and welcome to the Nuzlocke Challenge Thread. Here you can post about your Nuzlocke adventures and experience another new and exciting way to play your Pokemon games. The Nuzlocke Challenge can have many different rule sets to make the challenge harder or easier on oneself, but the main idea of the Nuzlocke challenge is that if your Pokemon faints, they are "dead" and you must release them or just box them away and not use them for the rest of the challenge. Really, you're goal should be to make things as hard as you honestly think you can handle and see how it goes. This thread's main ruleset will be based on my own modified rules but you can change them in any way you'd like in the spirit of the challenge.

~Rules

1. If a Pokemon in your party faints, you must release it ASAP. You cannot use Revives.
    2. When you reach a new Route/Cave/Town/Ect. you can only catch the first Pokemon you see in that Area. You are allowed to have Pokemon in your PC box as "backup" for when you need new members to replace fainted ones.
    3. If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you see for ANY reason then you've missed out on your chance to get a Pokemon from that area. Because of this rule, you cannot catch any Pokemon on Route 1, ect. if you saw one there.
    4. You may only buy up to 10 Pokeballs from each Pokemart.
    5. You are not allowed to use Legendary Pokemon.
    6. If a town contains Gift Pokemon, you may treat these as your captured Pokemon for said area. For example, the Eevee you obtain from Bill in Goldenrod.
    7. Nickname all of your Pokemon so you have an attachment to them. "Each Pokemon is a best friend to you, to see them die is heartbreaking." (Not really a required rule, but makes things fun.)
    8. If you black out (all party Pokemon faint) and you have no backups in your PC, it's Game Over.
    9. You are not allowed to use any healing items outside of battle.
    10. You are not allowed to switch out before the trainer sends in his next Pokemon. (Change that setting in the Options Menu)
    11. No trading between games, hacking pokemon, ect. You know, stay in the spirit of the challenge...

~Challengers Post saying which game you're doing the challenge on if you'd like to be on this list.

~Diamond
    SooperTrooper
    11wildy​

~Pearl
    mondays suck
    Pikachu-dance!​

~Platinum
    Comokanu
    Rhys xD
    Jesh​

~Other Rules You can add these to make your hell more special. Post if you have a suggestion for this list.

• You may only heal at a town's Pokemon Center's once.
    • You may not buy any pokeballs.
    • You may not buy any healing items.
    • You may not use any healing items.

~Sig Add-ons

-N/A-

Last edited:
    Years
    Since I don't really know how to continue on Gold in this moment, I'll start a simultaneous Nuzlocke run on Pearl version, it's just addicting...
    Let's see how many Bidoofs I'll get...
    I already have generated some nicknames (5 each for m, f and neutral, that should be enough at first), and most are awful (as you will see later). This is going to be fun.

Last edited:

Comokanu

Glitch Hunter
    Years
    Wow I love the Faint = Death thing....really makes me think of my Pokémons as a pet than a weapon! I'll do Platinum for the choice then!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 5, 2010
    I'm going to try this on Platinum alongside my regular play through of SS, it sounds fun!

Years
    Before I started yesterday evening, I rolled a dice to determine my starter, and ended up with Piplup, my least favorite one. Up to now, it seems that it's my least favorite for a reason, it has been pathetic. So, I focussed on the Shinx I caught on the route north of Sandgem Town instead and it gained levels quickly. North of Jubilife, I failed to catch a Budew, which I would have needed because of a crit, but I did manage to catch a Magikarp and a Zubat. After I caught Zubat, I was about to go back to Jubilfe, and out of the grass came a Bidoof and attacked me. At some point, my Shinx had 7 HP left and Bidoof was almost dead. Tackle missed, and Bidoof attacked with Tackle, that had done 3 damage in each hit before, critted and my Shinx was dead. I was like WTF just happened? Zubat managed to kill off that damn Bidoof, but the damage it had done to my team was irreversible, my best Pokemon had just died, together with my hopes to get Magikarp and Zubat up quickly. Only two steps later, a girl I had skipped without knowing it when I headed to the cave, saw and attacked me. With a level 7 Bidoof, while I had a dead level 10 Shinx, a level 7 Piplup at half HP, a level 7 Magikarp with only Splash, and a level 4 Zubat with a red HP bar. Fortunately, it growled most of the time, and so did I. Always when my attack was down quite a lot so it might think about attacking, I switched to Magikarp and then switched back. Despite Piplup doing almost no damage even without lowered attack, I somehow managed to beat the Bidoof. What a fight, hard as a gym battle.
    So, back at Jubilife, I knew I had to grind a lot, my remaining team after Shinx' way too early sudden and totally unexpected death wasn't good for anything (except being awesome by containing a Magikarp). I decided I'd rather use Zubat its nature isn't even that bad when considering that this is a Nuzlocke run) as my new main Pokemon (until I can get Gyarados) than Piplup, so I started grinding. And grinded. And grinded. And when I went to bed, it had only reached level 8, battles take horribly long with only Leech Life and Supersonic and no offensively viable teammembers. At least, towards the end of yesterday's grinding period, Leech Life has started to do more damage than Supersonic against level 2 Bidoofs, so there is hope. And as soon as I get Bite, which shouldn't take too long anymore (hopefully), I can finally advance some more in the storyline.
    Spoiler:

Current Team:
    m Chimo - Lv.8 - Pound, Growl, Bubble - Bold, Torrent - Lake Verity
    m Rian - Lv.7 - Splash - Quirky, Swift Swim - Route 219
    f Sharifa - Lv.8 - Leech Life, Supersonic - Relaxed, Inner Focus - Ravaged Path

Dead:
    m Zamthustra - Lv.10 - Tackle, Leer, Charge - Naive, Rivalry - Route 202 - Bidoof

Failed to catch Pokemon at: Route 201, Route 204

Well, I could also see my bad current situation positively: It can only get better. Or at least I hope so.

RaveSage

Eccentric Sheep
    Years
    Yeah, diffidently grind karp up to Gyarados before you go doing too much farther. He's a real help to any nuzlocker. Golbat is also surprisingly good.

Years
    So, after hours of grinding (I hate DPPt's speed, esp. when on DS...), my Zubat finally learned Bite at level 13 or 14 and I could beat my rival in Jubilife and advance further towards Oreburgh.
    On the first place I visited, the first thing I found was Abra, which I of course did not succeed to catch.
    Then, in the 3 areas surrounding Oreburgh, I met 2 Geodudes and another Zubat. I decided to take the better Geodude and my Zubat as my team and deposited all the rest into the PC. Yes, that includes Magikarp, because I am not going to grind it up before Eterna Forest, it would take way to long otherwhere.
    So, currently I'm grinding my awfully nicknamed Geodude (I should change the random name generator, the one I use for Gold is way better...) until it learns Magnitude, which should be enough to beat Roark. I think I should maybe look up his movesets before challenging him though, just to be sure.

Update: Beat Roark by spamming Magnitude. Got to Floaroma town and caught a Shellos (accidentally didn't nickname it) and an Aipom (Argwwgwgh (I'll probably replace it by something more intelligent later), in all caps because it ate up 15 Pokeballs (I can only hope that it was worth it...) and almost killed my Zubat. I'll be trying to get my Pokemon to level 22 (Golbat!) before advancing any further, I know from experience that Mars' Purugly can be a pest.

Next: Grinding, Mars and Eterna Forest (which basically means more grinding, since I'll start to get my Magikarp up there)

Current Team:
    f Sharifa - Lv.20 - Leech Life, Wing Attack, Astonish, Bite - Relaxed, Inner Focus - Ravaged Path

m Merlin - Lv.18 - Tackle, Magnitude, Rock Throw, Rock Polish - Jolly, Rock Head - Route 207
    m Argaagagh Lv.9 - Scratch, Tail Whip, Sand Attack, Astonish - Bashful, Run Away - Floaroma Meadow

Box:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dead:
    Spoiler:

Failed to catch Pokemon at: Route 201, 203, 204

Last edited:

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    Two Nuzlocke challenges would be awesome. :D
    Yeah, I'll go for it in counterpart with my Silver Nuzlocke. Alright, I'll be using Diamond Version. :]

Pikachu-dance!

Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott :)
    Years
    Just started on Pearl. I chose Charmander named it CHIMCHAWE. Bought 5 pokeballs in sandgem town. CHIMCHAWE became lv.8. Caught Bidoof on route 202. Named him BIDAWE. Entered Jubilife City. Caught a Shinx called him LUXAWE on route 204.

Last edited:
    Years
    After only a few levels of Aipom grinding, I decided that I was strong enough to challenge Mars, and so did I. Zubat went down easily by Sharifa's Wing Attack, but Purugly severely harmed Sharifa with a crit Faint Attack, so I had to switch. I went to Merlin because Argahg(etc) was still rather underleveled at that point and it did a good job, Magnitude spam was enough to defeat the cat.
    Then, it was time for eterna Forest. Nothing major happened here. I caught a Buneary named "Not Budew" (guess Pokemon what I wanted there) and Sharifa evolved, but I didn't do any grinding despite what I had planned because I was not in the mood for it. I probably will regret it.
    Arrived at Eterna, and there I caught myself a Meditie with a bad nature and another Zubat. Then, I challenged Gardenia's gym and Sharifa defeated everything without even losing one HP. Considering that Wing Attack OHKOd everything and Sharifa is faster than most grass types (even faster than Roserade, despite its -Spe nature), that's not much of a surprise.
    Then, I headed back to Eterna Forest in order to catch a Gastly in that creepy house (I taught the Cut HM to Piplup because I didn't catch any Bidoofs yet), but that didn't quite work. First, my Aipom used Astonish and got it down to the red HP area where I wanted it, but then Gastly used Curse and there went my awesome special sweeper. So, my team remains a pure physical team up to now...

Current Team:
    f Sharifa - Lv.24 - Leech Life, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Bite - Relaxed, Inner Focus - Ravaged Path

m Merlin - Lv.21 - Tackle, Magnitude, Rock Throw, Rock Polish - Jolly, Rock Head - Route 207
    m Argaagagh Lv.20 - Scratch, Tickle, Sand Attack, Astonish - Bashful, Run Away - Floaroma Meadow

Box:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dead:
    Spoiler:

, Old Chateau

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    Eh, I'm going to withdraw from this challenge.
    I'll probably do it later, but for now, I quit.

Years
    Due to being sick yesterday, I played quite a lot on the DS. Here is what happened, in no particular order:

• Removed the caps in Arghaagagh's name. Probably got some letters changed unintentionally
    • Beat Jupiter with Sharifa. A lot less of a problem than expected.
    • Got to Hearthome
    • Obtained a Bronzor, a Zubat, a Shieldon, an Egg, a Starly and a Barboach
    • Merlin and Sharifa evolved
    • Added Bronzor (Sth.Weird) and Barboach (RandomFish) to my team, and put Merlin into the box because of the new teammember's better typings (now I have 3 Pokemon that only have 1 weakness). I never used any of these before, so this is going to be interesting.
    • Beat my rival
    • Killed a wild Zubat with a critical hit somewhere
    • Grinded Argaaghag, Sth.Weird (who happens to have a bad nature, but still has been doing great up to now) and RandomFish to let them catch up to Sharifa. Vs.Seeker FTW.
    • Fortunately suffered no losses during all this, if not counting the Zubat (but I'm not going to need it anyways, I have Sharifa (which is awesome) and 3 other Zubats (which are a bit less awesome)...)
    Next: I'll hopefully finally get a Gastly and then fight my way to Veilstone.

Current Team:
    f Sharifa - Lv.27 - Leech Life, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Bite - Relaxed, Inner Focus - Ravaged Path

m Arghaagagh - Lv.25 - Scratch, Tickle, Sand Attack, Astonish - Bashful, Run Away - Floaroma Meadow
    Sth. Weird - Lv.25 - Extrasensory, Hypnosis, Imprison, Confuse Ray - Naive, Levitate - Route 206
    f RandomFish - Lv.25 - Water Pulse, Amnesia, Water Gun, Mud Bomb - Mild, Anticipation - Eterna City

m Chimo - Lv.8 - Pound, Growl, Bubble, Cut - Bold, Torrent - Lake Verity

Egg - Hearthome City

Box:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dead:
    Spoiler:

, 208, Old Chateau

While I'm stagnating on Gold because that grinding is taking so damn long, I am getting surprisingly far in Pearl, here's my newest update:

After having saved at Hearthome, the only way I could go was Route 209, which lead to Solaceon Town. And, of course, the Lost Tower, which is somewhere on the way. I had been wondering for quite some time whether I am finally going to get a Gastly there, or if I will get another Zubat or fail to catch a Gastly. Surprisinly, none of these scenarios happened, and I met a Misdreavus instead. At first, I didn't like this, knowing from before that Midreavus is pretty damn hard to catch, and I had already lost a lot of Pokeballs trying to catch Aipom. But, thanks to Sth. Weird's awesome Pokemon catching skills, it only took me 2 Pokeballs. I named Misdreavus Banshee and looked at its stats as soon as I got to the PC. And I saw that it was Modest. I don't think I need to mention I instantly added it to my team (by throwing my HM slave out until Happiny hatched), right? It didn't have any other attacking moves than Astonish (which is physical), but after using the Hidden Power TM I had been saving so long for a special attacker, getting Banshee up to the rest of my team's levels was a piece of cake. Hidden Power happens to be Water by the way, which is awesome (even though I was hoping for Fighting). Getting to Veilstone wasn't really hard, and I caught a Bonsly (called Spy because it is one)
    Spoiler:

and a Geodude called Dude 3 because it's already the third Geodude I found. I was hoping for Ponyta, but apparently I attract Rock types more. Well, at least it wasn't another Abra. So, I arrived at Veilstone, failed to catch a Kricketune south of it because it killed itself in its confusion and challenged Maylene's gym.
    The four gym trainers were not too hard, except when a random Machoke brought down Sth. Weird to 3 HP with a critical Low Kick at some point.
    Then, it was time for the leader. I lead with Banshee and she took out the Meditite and Machoke easily with Psybeam. The only thing that happened was that she got Foresighted. Not a very hard battle up to now. But then, Lucario was sent out.
    So, because she has no super-effective moves against the thing, I decided to let Banshee use Confuse Ray. Of course, things didn't work as planned and Lucario did not hit itself in its confusion and instead brought down Banshee from full HP to something like 1/3 with just one Force Palm. I hate that thing, it's not only overpopular, it's also overpowered. I switched to Sth. Weird, and tried to Hypnosis the anthromorphous dog, but of course Hypnosis always betrays its user in a critical situation and I soon had to switch. RandomFish seemed to be the best thing to switch to, but somehow Lucario got it down to 1 HP wiuth only 2 hits, and one of them was a not very effective Metal Claw... RandomFish managed to use Magnitude on it, and with a power of 8, it did some very nice damage. So, I had to switch again, and with only Sharifa and Aipom left, I decided to use Sharifa and hope the thing doesn't have any Rock-type moves. Fortunately, it didn't have any, and Sharifa took lol damage from what was thrown at her. Maylene had a Hyper Potion, but after spamming Wing Attack while getting lucky with confusion this time, Lucario was dead. Finally. What a battle, I really would have been screwed if it wouldn't be for Sharifa.
    Next: Whatever is in the story line after Veilstone. I think it must be Crasher Wake... That will be the point where I will hate the game for not letting me catch any Budew... Luckily, Banshee has Shóck Wave, and if that don't work... use Sharifa.

Current Team:
    f Sharifa - Lv.29 - Leech Life, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Bite - Relaxed, Inner Focus - Ravaged Path
    m Arghaagagh - Lv.28 - Scratch, Tickle, Sand Attack, Astonish - Bashful, Run Away - Floaroma Meadow
    Sth. Weird - Lv.29 - Extrasensory, Hypnosis, Iron Defense, Confuse Ray - Naive, Levitate - Route 206
    f RandomFish - Lv.28 - Water Pulse, Amnesia, Magnitude, Mud Bomb - Mild, Anticipation - Eterna City
    *Misdreavus*f Banshee - Lv.29 – Shock Wave, Psybeam, Confuse Ray, HP Water – Modest, Levitate – Lost Tower
    m Chimo - Lv.8 - Pound, Growl, Bubble, Cut - Bold, Torrent - Lake Verity

Box:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dead:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Failed to catch Pokemon at: Route 201, 203, 204, 208, 214, Old Chateau

Years
    ima do this on platinum

team so far chimchar-lvl 7 Burner
    starly-lvl 3 forgot to nickname will give it a name once i can
    gonna train both pokes to 10 without them dieing hopefully

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    Pearl for me! I'ma attempt at these little story things.....

Years
    update 2 : went to the route after sandegm town and found me a bidoof caught him named him slave but i really wanted a shinx stupid rng good thing is i checked ivs of my pokemon i may have a couple 31"s which is good ill have another update in a bit heres my team so far
    chimchar-lvl-9-burner
    starly-lvl4
    bidoof-lvl4-slave

oh how u put the lil pokemon sprites on a post

Last edited:

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    I think I'll join in on this. Sign me up for Pearl! ;D

Happenings:
    • Chose Turtwig and nn'd it "Soup" in case it dies. Serious nature, not too shabby.
    • Bidoof met on route 201. Rest in pieces.
    • Got the dex. Dawn warned me not to kill any pokes or she would gut me. (too slow!)
    • Went back and forth, turns out that the rival (named Lewis due to me being lazy) forgot something, and got forced back out.
    • Bidoof caught on route 202, nicknamed it "Golly" as a reminder of the friendly PMD2 poke. With a 30 or 31IV in SpA. Keeeeeeewl.
    • Starly loves showing up like never, as well as Shinx.
    • Golly demolished the entire route, due to haxing tackle n' critting every other round. Hopefully payback will never come...
    • Got the TM 10 after Golly showing off again. I'm actually impressed by his prowess.
    • Caught a mild Magikarp at route 218. Named it "Eric" after my best friend, as I think that if this will ever evolve, it will most likely become my best friend in-game.
    • Went back to Jublife -> Route 204, where a WILD STARLY appeared! Named it Wasabi, as most of the game will have difficulties chewing on that.
    • ... Wasabi has a modest nature.
    • Grinded Wasabi up to lvl 9 at Route 202 for it to learn Wing Attack.
    • Challenged Lewis at route 203. Golly showed Starly how to do a real tackle, while his Chimchar did nothing but leer at my Starly, even after Wing Attack didn't 2hko :x I feel so lucky right now.

Team as of now:
    Soup lvl 10 - Overgrow - Tackle|Withdraw|Absorb
    Wasabi lvl 10 - Keen Eye - Quick Attack|Wing Attack|Tackle|Growl
    Golly lvl 9 - Unaware - Tackle|Growl|Defence Curl
    Eric lvl 4 - Swift Swim - Splash.

In box:
    None.

Dead: