• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nuzlocke Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • So, shortly after my last update, I caught a Floatzel (named unfitting, because glass cannons aren't really fitting for Nuzlocke runs) and a Roselia (named Finally, I had been waiting for a grass type for ages). I dropped my HM Slave from my team and added Finally instead. Unfortunately, after just 3 levels of grinding, Finally got killed at almost full HP by the first physical attack it ever had to take: a 2 levels higher Bibarel's Hyper Fang, not even critical. This death looks very similar to that of Zamthustra, here are all similarities:

• I catch a Pokemon I really wanted to meet on that route
    • It has a +Speed and -some kind of defense nature (Zamthustra was Naive, Finally was Hasty)
    • It dies to a member of the Bidoof family by a normal-type attack
    I'll have to avoid these kind of circumstances in the future, and then I will, if everything goes according to plan, suffer no more losses, no that I know the pattern of deaths.

I'll make a proper update later, when I get Spy (who I have decided to train instead, but it's not doing very well up to now, maybe I'll change that decision again) up to the rest of my team and then progress in story.

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
    Years
  • I'll start this in Platinum. Should be interesting. Am I required to catch a pokemon from EVERY route, or can I skip catching some?

Years
  • You can skip some, but I wouldn't recommend that since you might always come into a situation where you're short of Pokemon. I would only skip Pokemon when I'm really short of Pokeballs.

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
    Years
  • K thanks for the info. I was only planning on skipping stuff like the first route, since Bidoof and Satrly don't really interest me (if I was using Diamond, then I would definitley get a Starly).

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • It appears that I spend my time getting nothing but the pokes that I do not want.
    After having beaten my rival with close to no damage taken in the process, I proceeded to demolish both route 203 and the Oreburgh Gate with Golly and Soup. Since Wasabi most likely won't be of much use for now, I didn't grind him like I did with Golly (I thought Bidoof learned Water Gun by level ._.) and Soup. As a result, Golly and Soup had reached lvl 14 and 16 respectively from training in the Oreburgh Mine before I challenged Roark. The Gym battle was fairly easy in the beginning, since I decided to lead with Soup, it swiftly OHKO'd Roark's Geodude with Razor Leaf, and proceeded to OHKO Onix as well - however, not before it managed to land a Screech on it :< As a result, Cranidos took away like 4/5 of Soup's HP with ONE Headbutt - luckily Razor Leaf didn't miss, leaving me with a lvl 17 Turtwig and a shining new badge!

Random happenings (in not necessarily chronological order):
    • Caught a wild Geodude at the Oreburgh Mine. Named it Marley because it is a decent name for a throw-away.
    • Caught a Zubat a the Ravaged Bath - it will most likely never be used. Nicknamed it Thomas.
    • Caught another Geodude at route 207, nicknamed it Poland, for whatever reason :x
    • Golly and Wasabi both evolved! Turns out that it is Bibarel that learns Water Gun. -_-
    • Decided to get a Drifloon at the Valley Windworks - thus I avoided the grass at that route.
    • Oh, and Soup learned how to swear ^__^ (I'll purposely avoid to evolve it for the time being due to how heavy it gets when it evolves - it would be very annoying to die to the first hit of Grass Knot even while resisted :< )

Currently at Flomaroma Town, grinding a little before I'll challenge Mars.

Team:
    Soup lvl 17 - Absorb|Razor Leaf|Tackle|Curse
    Wasabi lvl 15 - Wing Attack|Quick Attack|Double Team|Growl
    Golly lvl 15 - Tackle|Defense Curl|Rollout|Water Gun
    Eric lvl 6 - Splash
    Marley lvl 6 - Tackle|Defense Curl|Mud Sport|Rock Smash

In box:
    Thomas the Zubat lvl 4 - Bad day the Bidoof lvl 4 - Poland the Geodude lvl 7.

Dead:
    None. YET. I have this feeling Mars WILL kill off half of my party...

CRaTeR

Emperor of Aragon
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2015
    Sign me up for this.
    I'll be using Diamond and I'll update as soon as I beat Roark.

Years
  • Almost forgot about my side run on Pearl here, because Brown was so much more interesting and here my latest grinding period dragged on and dragged on. But, yesterday I made quite some progress and got the Surf HM.
    Therefore, next is Fantina so I can actually use that HM. But, before that I'll have to do some grinding, since I can only use 3 Pokemon of my team against her (Obviously not Misdreavus, and also not Whiscash, since that Mismagius has Magical Leaf)

Current Team:
    f Sharifa @/ - Lv.36 - Leech Life, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Bite - Relaxed, Inner Focus - Ravaged Path

m Arghaagagh @/ - Lv.35 - Double Hit, Tickle, Sand Attack, Aerial Ace - Bashful, Technician - Floaroma Meadow
    Sth. Weird @/ - Lv.36 - Extrasensory, Hypnosis, Iron Defense, Confuse Ray - Naive, Levitate - Route 206
    f RandomFish @/ - Lv.35 - Surf, Amnesia, Magnitude, Ice Beam - Mild, Anticipation - Eterna City

f Banshee @WiseGlasses - Lv.36 – Thunderbolt, Psybeam, Confuse Ray, HP Water – Modest, Levitate – Lost Tower

m Chimo @/ - Lv.8 - Pound, Defog, Bubble, Cut - Bold, Torrent - Lake Verity

Box:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dead:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Failed to catch Pokemon at: Route 201, 203, 204
    , 208, 214, Old Chateau, Safari Zone

Update: Beat Fantina, she was a pain. No one of my guys died, but it was pretty close twice. Beat my rival somewhere as well, it was easy. Next: Canalave gym. RandomFish is going to level A LOT here.

Last edited:

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    EDIT: No, I can't do this. I can't even get past Roark. I'll take the Nuzlocke Challenge later =.='

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ok, I managed to sweep the Canalave gym by only using Whiscash, and then did some grinding to let the rest of my Pokemon catch up. Everyone is level 40 or 41 now.
    BUT, because I'm selling my DS soon, I'm doubting I will be able to finish this. I thought I would be able to play enough to finish this quickly, but I didn't.
    This sucks, because this has been my best Nuzlocke run so far. Only 2 deaths, none of them were important, and I have built up a great team over the time. I have only 3 days left to finish this, and it's unlikely that I'll manage it. Especially because the most tedious part of the game, Mount Coronet, is still ahead. Even if I manage to play with no further deaths (->less grinding), this will be a very hard race against the time.

Dreamboat Dixon

Star-Commander of Funk
    Years
  • I'd like to post and say I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke Challenge.
    I've gone quite the way through it, I'm currently after my 7th badge. It's how I discovered this site actually, because I was showing my friend the challenge and he ended up reading your rules.

I've been logging everything I've caught, where I've caught it and everything. So I'll get that all down at some point but I'll say the rules I used first.

I started my challenge with one of my flatmates. We both had the same rules, unfortunately he's now failed his challenge...
    The rules we used:
    1. Faint = Death
    2. First Pokémon on a route is the only thing you can catch
    3. 5 Pokéball limit. This isn't a limit to 5 each, 5 total. I currently have on my person (to help you better understand if you need to) x2 Ultra balls, x2 Dusk Balls and x1 Quick ball
    4. No artificial medicines allowed. No potions, no full heals etc.
    4.5. We can use natural medicine. Water and Moo Moo milk etc. But only a realistic amount that can be carried. 5 water, 2 moo moo milk etc.
    5. You can only use your Rod and Honey trees once. It doesn't count as your route Pokémon, but you can only use each method to catch a Pokémon once in the game.

Because we were both playing through at the same time, we traded between our Nuzlocke games to evolve Pokémon like Haunter etc.

I'm currently playing through Diamond

Dreamboat Dixon

Star-Commander of Funk
    Years
  • I think trade evo's are okay. Though the only reason I did was because I was living with someone else doing the challenge. So it was sorta more fair

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    I give up. NO$GBA crashed on my twice already and I didn't save. (I have no resilience. Lol)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I've actually been playing Platinum for quite some time now on Nuzlocke mode, and I pretty much used the same rules for my game... Well, except for rule #4, but I can do that from now on. :P

Anywho, currently I've just beaten the 4th Gym with the following Pokémon. I will post screenshots soon.

In Party:
    -Staraptor (lv. 37)
    -Roselia (lv. 36)
    -Machoke (lv. 34)
    -Bibarel (lv. 32)
    -Luxray (lv. 31)
    -Mothim (lv. 31)

Deceased:
    -Prinplup (lv. 18)
    -Beautifly (lv. 15)
    -Graveler (lv. 30)

shot571

I will do this on diamond.Finally i'll have to train up a whole team.I think :s. I probably will do the nobouying healing items. not sure yet. never played the difficulty of diamond.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I'd like to join.

Chaos11011 - Platinum

The professer ask me for my name and I respond,"Chaos".Then he asks for the name of someone I don't know,resisting the urge to put "Idk" his name shale be Rival (generic I know)Put the settings to Fast and Set.Time to choose my starter I let my brother pick a number he said "23" so i count until 23 touching the pokeball (order was Turtwig,Chimchar,Piplup) and I get Chimchar.It really irratated me because Chimchar is my least favorite starter EVER.Oh well I'll still use it.Named it Naners for a SSBB refrence if you play Competitive.Walking down route 201 i found a Bidoof. can't catch it.Bye route 201.After getting my Pokeballs I went to route 202 and i found a Bidoof and I caught it.Named Generic.Because I wanted Starly I went to Lake Varity and prayed to find one,I did.Named Avian.Did stuff up until Jubilife.Got old rod and caught Magikarp on rought 218 named Koi.Going North hoping for a Budew I found and caught another Starly caught just in case Avain died.

Team

Lvl 7 Chimchar (Naners) Scratch,Leer,Ember (Route 202)
    Lvl 6 Starly (Avian) Tackle,Growl,Quick Attack (Lake Varity)

Box

Lvl 3 Bidoof (Generic)
    Lvl 6 Magikarp (Koi)
    Lvl 4 Starly (Wing)

I might do the extra "no healing" (exept for Pokecenter) challenge because i havnt used Potion yet but I'm not sure if I want take the burden

FYI:All of my Posts wont be in Paragraph I only made it in Paragraph because I wanted my first post to be nice

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back