• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

King!

better
Years
  • Oh yeah, please take me off the list o.o' I don't remember doing this before...hmmm...oh well xD Thank you~

Also, I don't really have enough to make a full update yet, btu I bred all the eggs, did all of the beginning stuff. Named myself KING, chose Cyndaquil just because I wanted to see what it looked like walking behind me, then sped through Mr. Pokemon's house and my rival, QUEEN, to whom Cyndaquil lost, thus never gaining a single experience point), and finally got the Pokeballs from Lyra.

After that I traded the eggs over, and put two in my party as well as Cyndaquil. Then I ran around until one hatched, and Nosepass was the first to come out :3 I named him MOOSE~

After that I switched out Cyndaquil for the remaining four eggs. Training Moose was kinda tough at first since it was level one, but evnetually I got it up there, and my second egg hatched, Mudkip. :3 So now I'm just going through to the next town, training my two who have hatched and waiting for the others~

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2015
    I've always wanted to try this, and now that I have some time I might as well! I'm super excited. (: I might go for an ultimate, so I'll just start at the beginning with FireRed.

Name: Jess
    Game:
    FireRed
    List of Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: Need a surfer, and would like a flier, but not necessary.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2015
    Awesome! I'll go with Aerodactyl, and probably hack a couple in towards the beginning since a few are very late in the game. Off to get started!

EDIT;

Update!

• Started the Game
    • Picked Bulbasaur
    • Did all the Prologue stuff.
    • Hacked in my Tauros.
    • Named him Ben. Because I can.
    • Hacked in Psyduck.
    • Called her Sally. Because...I'm not sure!
    • Overpowered Brock with Ben's Horn Attack. <3
    • Remembered that back in Gen III, Psyduck didn't naturally learn any water moves until level 50...D:
    • Continued on, wiping out trainers.
    • Grinding in Mt. Moon!
    • Caught a Paras.
    • Named her Addison. Because it's cute. x3
    • Caught Addison up to Sally's level.
    • Kicked my rival's butt and cleared out Nugget Bridge.
    • I still want to join Team Rocket. >.>
    • Hacked in my Aerodactyl.
    • Named her Peyton.
    • Cleared out the trainers above Celadon.
    • Helped Bill.
    • Cleared out Misty's gym.
    • Beat Misty!
    • TAUGHT SALLY WATER PULSE. Now she can be a useful water-type. ^_^
    • Taught Addison Bullet Seed because she needed an offensive grass-type move.
    • End play session. ;D
    Team;
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Coolio. I've taken King! off the RSE Challengers list, added Golurk to the Ultimate list, and added Patch93 to the FRLG list (I'll add you to the Ultimate list if you decide you want to do it for definite later).

Golurk - you did say make you pay :P

Magikarplvl.98

The Water Pokemon Defender
    Years
  • I just got a new computer and then remembered this challenge and tried to run my emulator which is VBA version 1.7.2 which doesn't like my new computer so I'm just going to retire from this challenge so sorry.

Last edited:
    Years
  • DIAMOND UPDATE NUMBER...gosh, is it really only number 2?

Briefing on team: Sudowoodo, Octillery, Murkrow, Magnemite, Stunky

Started from the moomoo milk restaurant, and went on that route to veilstone. Those ace trainers at the end almost killed me, just like they always do... Arrived at veilstone! Took on the gym, I knew it would be a tough one due to Lucario. Managed to make my way through with wing attack/psybeam from Bathilda the murkrow and Ursula the Octillery. Then, I took on Maylene. She was difficult, to say the least, but Bathilda/Octillery took out her meditite and machoke with little difficulty. I believe That James the sudowoodo delivered the final blow to her accursed Lucario. Then I had to help out Dawn with her girl troubles...sigh. Got fly and continued down to Pastoria city. I took on that battle restaurant, and R2D2 the magnemite evolved! dun..dun... Then I got to Pastoria, helped some pokes remember moves, and went to the great marsh for fun and picked up defog. I took on the gym, with no effort. R2D2 took down Wake's Gyarados and Sudowoodo took down the quagsire and the floatzel with a wood hammer (it's too bad he doesn't have rock head...) Win! Then I had to chase after a loser grunt, and along the way came Barry! Ursula soloed him with ease. Beat that team rocket grunt with ease, and got the secret potion from Cynthia. Then I went back to hearthome through that route that I can't ever seem to remember. I went up to Celesic town (it was very foggy) and beat some jerk that wanted to blow up a cave? Saw my buddy Cyrus again. Then I challenged Fantina, using mainly Horace the stunky and Bathilda the Murkrow. After defeating her, Horace evolved into Skuntank, and learned flamethrower?! Apparently I'm not smart enough, cuz Cynthia thinks I need to study at some library. Hmph. Went to canalave, but took a short stop at the oreburgh gate to grab brick break. Destroyed Barry, even though I hadn't healed. Challenged the gym and used Horace's flamethrower and James' brick break to take down Byron. Then I had to go to the library...EARTHQUAKE! By team Galactic! Had to go to valor lake, took on Saturn, then went to Verity to destroy Mars. Game saved.

Da Team

Spoiler:

*Sorry if this update isn't as detailed or may not be completely accurate, the events written happened like a month ago so my memory isn't the best, but it should still be pretty accurate.

Years
  • Huuuhh...
    Seeings as I just finished my MD challenge, I may as well look into this one...
    Name: Waters Echo
    Game: ... one of RSE. It's just that I've gone through Emerald several times, with various teams, so...
    List of Pokemon that got away: (each automatically includes their entire evo line)(If I have raised one (or more) of a pokemon recently, I'll bracket the fact)
    Spoiler:

Any specific requirements: Surf is good, I suppose so are other HMs... but mostly just someone that can surf.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Huuuhh...
    Seeings as I just finished my MD challenge, I may as well look into this one...
    Name: Waters Echo
    Game: ... one of RSE. It's just that I've gone through Emerald several times, with various teams, so...
    List of Pokemon that got away: (each automatically includes their entire evo line)(If I have raised one (or more) of a pokemon recently, I'll bracket the fact)
    Spoiler:

Any specific requirements: Surf is good, I suppose so are other HMs... but mostly just someone that can surf.

How's about... Sharpedo, Oddish (your choice of evo), Hariyama, Electrike, Torkoal and Sandshrew. I gave you a bunch of Pokes that you haven't raised before, I figured you'd probably prefer that. Plus it's kinda the point in the challenge :pirate:

You're on the Challengers list, enjoy! Try to update as much as possible :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Update! (After many many months...)

So, we left off after clearing the Fighting Dojo in an attempt to get my entire team. At this point, Cubone is the only one left to add, but I need the Silph Scope first... So...

- Cleared the Rocket Hideout, gaining much experience for Vulpix, Eevee, and Hitmonlee along the way.
    - Cleared the first few floors of Pokemon Tower, catching a Cubone (finally).
    - Went back and cleared many of the areas that I had skipped Trainers in - namely Routes 8-12 and Rock Tunnel. Cubone absolutely destroyed Lt. Surge in this process, too. Also cleared the remainder of Pokemon Tower and got the Poke Flute.
    - Eevee was evolved into Jolteon, and Cubone evolved into Marowak.
    - Went to Celadon Gym, and Vulpix ripped through Erika and her minions, with a bit of help from Jolteon.

Next up: Silph Co, and then Sabrina's scary Psychics!

Current Team:
    Hitmonlee lv. 31
    Jolteon Lv. 32
    Marowak Lv. 32
    Vulpix Lv. 33
    Blastoise Lv. 41
    Ch'Ding (Farfetch'd Lv. 6) - HM Slave

Years
  • And then suddenly remember a good way into figuring out what I'm going to do, where I can catch my teammembers etc. that I've raised an oddish/gloom in my FR Nuzlocke *headknee*
    Maybe if I evolve it into a belossom?

Anycase, we're going with Ruby, and we'll be starting with carvanha, seeings at it would only be obtainable after the fifth badge otherwise.
    (wow, sudden feeling of nostalgia. I did raise a sharpedo once, but that was... what... nearly ten years ago now. The only thing I remember about the fact is that I had one... Gosh, I miss that team, and I can't even remember much of anything. Sceptile, gardevoir, my shiny donphan, sharpedo... pelipper? And... I can never remember... aggron, maybe? Ahhh... good times, those. Even if I was a terrible trainer back then.)
    Once I manage to re-find working codes for it, at any rate...
    All of them just crash it. =`_=;
    Ooookay... let's try S and E and see if either of them will work with me...
    ... Emerald works. But in the interim PLOT! happened for Ruby. Would it be okay to go through Ruby and start getting the pokemon after the first gym, or should I just go with Emerald?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Crystal Update Number One!

Started game, named self Lurky since "Lurky-lurk" wouldn't fit...sigh. Picked chikorita, named it excluded, since that is exactly what it will be very soon, and did rest of pregame stuff. Met red-head kid, had to use excluded, and named him Sammu ( >: ) for enforcing that dang chansey) and continued on my way. Got some pokeballs, and soon caught Joffrey the weedle! Trained Joffrey up, had to use excluded a lot, reached violet and trained a ton in sprout tower. Along the way, Joffrey evolved! dun...dun... and then in sprout tower, the last sage before the elder.... Joffrey evolved! dun...dun.... Got flash, and went to beat Faulkner. Surprisingly easy, since Joffrey now knew fury attack. Continued on through rock tunnel, which wasn't easy when the only attacking moves you have versus an onix are low powered poison and normal type moves. After that, I got to Azalea, oh no! Team Rocket has stolen ze slowpokes! Went to help out kurt, easy enough. Took on Bugsy, which was incredibly easy. He sent out his metapod first, so I had Joffrey use 6 hardens, and one focus energy before spamming fury attack on the poor metapod, kakuna and scyther. Went through Ilex forest, and helped some kid find his bird, avoided as many trainers as possible in the next route, and reached the daycare. Picked up the bike from Goldenrod, and saved before the odd egg. Got a shiny tyrogue first, and then a cleffa! Named her Arkadina, and trained her a lot. Then, I went to challenge Whitney.... failure. SO, after looking up what "level" cleffa evolves, and learning it was by happiness, I ran around for an hour, at least. (every 512 steps = 1 point of happiness) As a cleffa, she was so weak that her level (17) was higher than her attack. Finally, I leveled her up and she EVOLVED! dun..dun... took on Whitney by taking her clefairy down with some twin-needles from Joffrey, and then a sweet kiss/sing/ice punch combo from Arkadina, which worked incredibly well (luckily Whitney didn't heal for some reason...) Then I saved.

Notes: Can't get Scyther too soon, because the time in the online version is measured in gametime, so the game still thinks it's Wednesday...

DA TEAM

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Would it be okay to go through Ruby and start getting the pokemon after the first gym, or should I just go with Emerald?

I honestly don't mind, you've got quite a lot of freedom in this challenge. Other challengers have taken both approaches, so trade, hack or catch legitimately, whichever works best.

Years
  • Okay, started Ruby.
    PLOT! attacked me.

Spoiler:

--
    To summarise, skipping the PLOT!
    Chose mudkip, beat rival, avoided any and all trainer battles as best we could, beat Magma Guy, beat Roxanne, beat MG again, mudkip evolved, and proceeded to Briney's house.
    We went to Granite cave and caught makuhita, deposited marshtomp, and headed back north to train on poochyena.
    Then we reached level sixteen and... promptly ran into a shiny zigzagoon.
    And my immediate reaction was to choke and think 'WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING IN MY CHALLENGES?!'
    We caught it and called it ShinyCoon.

TEAM
    Marlene
    Makuhita, F, Lax, Lv.20, quick claw
    Arm thrust, vital throw, sand attack, focus energy

- ShinyCoon the *zigzagoon

Last edited:

ahungryhamster

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2018
    It's been a while since my previous update, but I've been pretty busy and have only been able to play the challenge for short periods of time. But then I had a free weekend and managed to finish off the main plot of Pokemon White (as in beating the Elite Four, N, and Ghetsis).

Unfortunately, I don't remember a lot of what happened because I've been playing on and off for such a long period of time, so I'm just going to skip out on the summary of the game's plot. Most of you know how it goes anyway.

So here's my team as of now:

Spoiler:

Now it's time to tackle the post-game stuff. Whew, I thought I was getting over-leveled there near the end (in fact, I stopped fighting wild Pokemon because I wasn't feeling challenged enough with my Pokemon 5-10 levels higher than all the opponents') but now I'm a few levels lower than I'd like.

Overall, this is a good team and this hasn't really felt like a challenge - it's more like a chance to try out new stuff. I'm thinking I might do Platinum next, but I'll have to make sure to use weaker Pokemon so it's more difficult. Maybe I'll combine this challenge with a mono-Bug challenge or something. I've always wanted to use a team consisting entirely of crappy early Bug Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Overall, this is a good team and this hasn't really felt like a challenge - it's more like a chance to try out new stuff. I'm thinking I might do Platinum next, but I'll have to make sure to use weaker Pokemon so it's more difficult. Maybe I'll combine this challenge with a mono-Bug challenge or something. I've always wanted to use a team consisting entirely of crappy early Bug Pokemon.

Thanks for the update ahungryhamster, and glad you've enjoyed the "challenge." I admit it's not a difficult challenge, I devised it more because of its usefulness than for its difficulty. I had a whole bunch of Pokemon I'd always wanted to use rotting away in my PC boxes, and I had no particular reason to use any of them, so I came up with a reason :)

Good luck with the post-game stuff, remember you need to beat the Elite 4 rematches in order to become our first Gen V Champion!

Years
  • Soooo...I'm sorry
    *Apollogies for the break, being doing a lot of competitive stuff so not really wanted to play pokemon :(*
    -So..I forgot Barry exists and fights so fought Barry and won in a suprised manner using WildThing's Confusion on Staravia, Jaw's Earthquake on Roselia, Piranha's Water Pulse on Monferno and WildThing's Absorb on Buizel.
    -Headed to Solaceon, did the ruins, did lost tower, continued onward.
    -Arrived in Veilstone City, looked around, challenged the gym.
    -Defeated Maylene using WildThing's Mega Drain on Meditite, Jaw's Earthquake on Lucario and Wildthing's Confusion on Machoke. Got Drain Punch TM and Cobble Badge.

Team Info
    Spoiler:

Years
  • A singing wrestling pokemon master...its John Cena stoopid!
    -Had to help Dawn, cause we are the hero. Got Fly, taught that to Delibird to add to her Santa Powers !!
    -Headed Sarrff (South if you are not aware how londoners usually talk).
    -Arrived in Pastoria City, healed then went to the gym.
    -Defeated Barry using WildThing's Shock Wave on Staravia, Food Inc's Return on Monferno, Jaw's Earthquake on Roselia and Piranha's Return on Buizel.
    -Took on Pastoria Gym.
    -Defeated Crasher Wake using WildThing's ShockWave on Gyarados, Food Inc's Return on Buizel and Wild Thing's Mega Drain on Quagsire. Got the Fenn Badge and the Brine TM.

Team Info
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Alright, here is another update for my challenge on Leaf Green!

- Cleared Silph Co. with ease - the trainers there were essentially a level booster.
    - Went and beat Sabrina - Jolteon and Blastoise knew Bite, so it wasn't difficult at all.
    - Cleared the Cycling Road routes and the Lavender-Fuschia routes.
    - Finally decided that it was time, and evolved Vulpix into Ninetales.
    - Did the whole Safari Zone thing, getting the Gold Teeth and Surf.
    - Took on Koga, and a team effort disposed of him easily.
    - Breezed through to Cinnabar Island.
    - Beat Blaine, and did so without even using Blastoise in the battle. Yeah, Jolteon, Hitmonlee, and Marowak took care of him easily.
    - Went to One Island with Bill, got Rock Smash, searched all over for items, found Lostelle, etc.
    - Came back, and cleared Route 21.
    - Went to Viridian Gym and took down Giovanni - everyone except Ninetales got in on the action.
    - Beat Gary, and everyone took him down.
    - Breezed through Victory Road, picking up some needed exp along the way.

- LORELEI: Hitmonlee took out Dewgong and Lapras, Ninetales took on Jynx, and Jolteon defeated Slowbro and Cloyster with ease. Not too difficult of a battle.
    - BRUNO: Blastoise took down the first Onix, Ninetales beat Hitmonchan. Machamp actually posed a bit of a problem, but Marowak and Blastoise combined to beat it. Hitmonlee defeated Hitmonlee, and wound up finishing off Onix, too. Strangely was the toughest battle of the Elite Four.
    - AGATHA: Jolton = spammed the ghosts with Bite. Thunderbolted Golbat to death. Marowak come in just to get a bit of action, and took down Arbok with a couple of Bonemerangs.
    - LANCE: Jolteon exploited Gyarados' 4x electric weakness, and Blastoise took down the dragons and Aerodactyl. Surprisingly, it took two Ice Beams for each of the dragons - Blastoise isn't quite as good as I thought.
    - GARY: Everyone combined to take this guy down, except for Hitmonlee, that is. Jolteon got Pidgeot, Gyarados, and Alakazam. Blastoise beat Rhydon, Ninetales beat Venusaur, and Marowak got in against Arcanine, but Blastoise finished off the battle.

And that concludes the first round of the Elite Four! One of the easier treks that I can remember. Marowak was pretty much useless, and Jolteon was an absolute stud. Now, I have 45 pokemon in the 'dex, so I need 15 more to progress through the rest of the islands and take down the elite four. Then, the challenge will be complete!

Team:
    Marowak Lv. 50
    Ninetales Lv. 52
    Hitmonlee Lv. 52
    Blastoise Lv. 53
    Jolteon Lv. 54

Years
  • CRYSTAL UPDATE NUMBER 2
    After kicking Whitney's butt, I headed north. I sprinkled some water on a weird tree and continued on my way. Met my rival, Sammu, who I destroyed with some ice-punches by Arkadina. I set some crazy dogs loose (who let the dogs out? who, who who who!) and caught myself my 3rd party member.... akoffing! I named her Gertrude and headed to the gym. I taught Gertrude rollout and after some training she was able to blast through Morty's Gastly, Haunter and Gengar. Arkadina Ice-punched the final Haunter. Following that... I had to wait outside the national park for a good six hours (I just had the window open on my computer and saved when I was done using it) Finally, when the game clock registered as 12:01, I went to catch my fourth party member...which took forever, it was literally the last encounter before the time was up. But, I was able to catch a scyther, which was named Traeger (Parks And Recreation FTW) I went to Olivine where I saw my rival Sammu once again, and took on the lighthouse only to be told I wasn't wanted! I had to beat some kimono girls to get surf, and I had PSY? the psyduck take me across the sea. I beat Chuck after using Traeger's quick attack to take down the Primeape and having Gertrude self-destruct to take care of that annoying Poliwrath. I went back to challenge Jasmine before realizing I should take care of Pryce first, due to how he is lower-leveled. After capturing a red gyarados at the lake of rage, I went to the rocket hideout to take down those losers!

DA TEAM
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back