• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The other mystery of the Pokéball

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    You throw it up in the air, if it has a Pokémon inside, it will open. How does it return to your hand? Liza from the third movie sent out Butterfree this way.

You hold it in your palms, and when you want it to, it opens, assuming there's a Pokémon inside. That's how Piplup appeared for the first time in PokéSpecial.

You throw an empty one at a Pokémon, it may open. You throw it at a human being, maybe it opens, maybe not, maybe it breaks.

There seems to be other ways of making a PokéBall open. Some people just swing their right hands from left to right (like Steven in Emerald). Pokémon inside a Pokéball can come out on its on initiative.

What makes a PokéBall open? What is it that stimulates the Pokéball to open?

Are our main game protagonists left-handed? They seem to throw Pokéballs with their left hands, be it sending out or catching Pokémon (in the Safari Zone)

Last edited:

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • This is where realism and Pokemon don't mix as well. So, in the most realistic way I can think of, here's my explanation:

When you're dealing with a Poke Ball to release a Pokemon or capture one, you click it once to enlarge it, right? Maybe it has some sort of sensor that detects if it's been thrown or not? The sensor would be activated after enlarging; if it hits a Pokemon not already claimed, it will open and absorb a Pokemon. If the Pokemon struggles enough, the bonds holding said Pokemon inside break and it opens. How the Poke Ball differentiates between humans and Pokemon, I have no clue. Maybe it's a blood temperature/pressure detector? *shrugs*

When being thrown to release a Pokemon, maybe it has something like an accelerometer that detects gravitational pull? If there's nothing resisting it's fall to the ground, it opens? I dunno. How it returns to your hand is where the realism kind of ends, unless you've got supah awesome reflexes to be able to catch it.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Yes, this is my theory by the way, once the Trainer click on the Poké Ball, it enlarges, but also he/she activated it's sensory device or simply 'turn it on'. That way, the Poké Ball would activate a mechanism that would release the obviously large Pokémon, when compared to the Poké Ball.

This is where the sensory device that I had mentioned above comes into play. If a Trainer does throw the Poké Ball at a human, it would detect it's features or quickly scans the outline of one to determine if it would 'capture' it or not.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Here it is

The pokeball has a high pwer spring and impact sensor. The spring also moves. Every peice of the poekball(outer) os able to release the spring because there are slots located all around the pokeball. once the impact sensor sense impact, the spring goes to the spot that the iompact was located abnd springs out. How does it come back to you? well, the ball is now in the air and every pokeall has a human DNA sensor in it that reads whatever peice of your DNA you would put in it. The ball then flies towards you, at whatever rate you can catch it, and how high it should be(this is done by earlier setting the ball) the DNA sensor then is "attracted" to you and you catch the ball. The DNA sensor also tells which pokemon are yours and which aren't.

there's your answer.

If the ball sense there is a pokemon inside, it will open. If not, it will only open if a pokemon is sensed o the outside(so you can catch a trainer's pokemon if the pokemon does not wack it back.

The ball opens by this. Before the trow, the traner must use a backward swipe with his/her thumb(or anything really) This activates the motion sensor inside the ball whic opens the pokemon containment area inside the pokeball as well. To catch a pokemon, the pokemon is converted into energy or data, it is still undecided, to go in the ball and is refigured into a smaller version of the pokemon. The pokemon is then converted back into energy and when the ball sense motion(being thrown) the pokemon comes out of the pokeball fully restored and at normal size. Notice the flash of light. This is activated when the ball releases a pokemon and stops when the ball closes. Later, the flashlight was traded by a projector, which projected other items, stars bubbles, etc. The pokemon is called back by a forward swipe of the thumb.

There you have it the nearly full explanation of a pokeball and how it works.

Last edited:

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Interesting theories. But Pokéballs could cost a bomb if they have all those high tech stuff.

Feathing

Water Gym Master
    Years
  • This is where realism and Pokemon don't mix as well. So, in the most realistic way I can think of, here's my explanation:

When you're dealing with a Poke Ball to release a Pokemon or capture one, you click it once to enlarge it, right? Maybe it has some sort of sensor that detects if it's been thrown or not? The sensor would be activated after enlarging; if it hits a Pokemon not already claimed, it will open and absorb a Pokemon. If the Pokemon struggles enough, the bonds holding said Pokemon inside break and it opens. How the Poke Ball differentiates between humans and Pokemon, I have no clue. Maybe it's a blood temperature/pressure detector? *shrugs*

When being thrown to release a Pokemon, maybe it has something like an accelerometer that detects gravitational pull? If there's nothing resisting it's fall to the ground, it opens? I dunno. How it returns to your hand is where the realism kind of ends, unless you've got supah awesome reflexes to be able to catch it.

You are very smart! I had a similar idea. Anyway, I think nobody never really cared about this thing (and a bunch of other things). If the writers/Nintendo/whoever had thought about it, then this thread would be a waste. But they didn't think anything, so we're now discussing how the Pokeballs are made and how they work.

Anyway, I think it would be great if they could create a real Pokeball XD

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • Here it is

The pokeball has a high pwer spring and impact sensor. The spring also moves. Every peice of the poekball(outer) os able to release the spring because there are slots located all around the pokeball. once the impact sensor sense impact, the spring goes to the spot that the iompact was located abnd springs out. How does it come back to you? well, the ball is now in the air and every pokeall has a human DNA sensor in it that reads whatever peice of your DNA you would put in it. The ball then flies towards you, at whatever rate you can catch it, and how high it should be(this is done by earlier setting the ball) the DNA sensor then is "attracted" to you and you catch the ball. The DNA sensor also tells which pokemon are yours and which aren't.

there's your answer.

If the ball sense there is a pokemon inside, it will open. If not, it will only open if a pokemon is sensed o the outside(so you can catch a trainer's pokemon if the pokemon does not wack it back.

The ball opens by this. Before the trow, the traner must use a backward swipe with his/her thumb(or anything really) This activates the motion sensor inside the ball whic opens the pokemon containment area inside the pokeball as well. To catch a pokemon, the pokemon is converted into energy or data, it is still undecided, to go in the ball and is refigured into a smaller version of the pokemon. The pokemon is then converted back into energy and when the ball sense motion(being thrown) the pokemon comes out of the pokeball fully restored and at normal size. Notice the flash of light. This is activated when the ball releases a pokemon and stops when the ball closes. Later, the flashlight was traded by a projector, which projected other items, stars bubbles, etc. The pokemon is called back by a forward swipe of the thumb.

There you have it the nearly full explanation of a pokeball and how it works.
    smart i would never thought of it like this but the real answer is its fiction deal with it lol

Years
  • I always just assumed that the action of the pokemon being released releases enough energy to stop the pokeball and push it back towards the trainer. Like an explosion blowing it in the opposite direction.

That, or a wizard did it.

evertime

Avid Reader
    Years
  • For the opening i think the pokeball opens before it hits anything unless there is somthing inside.
    And in response to the why it flys back ether recoil or magic sky beings.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Interesting theories. But Pokéballs could cost a bomb if they have all those high tech stuff.
    With high demands of Poké Balls from Pokémon Trainers, I'm sure that the makers of it are able to pay off with such thing.

Maybe it has a boomerang mechanism inside it that makes it act as a boomerang?
    I think that some Poké Balls fall to the ground…

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • About going back to the hand of the trainer that throw it, something came to mind:
    there is a way of throwing a ball (of any kind) so that it reverts in midair.
    This is done by giving the ball an twist, so it rotates while being thrown. There will be a moment when it's Velocity turn to zero, and it's acceleration reverts (I think. XD It's like that when you throw a ball in the air and it returns due to the Gravitational Force being bigger than the Force of the throw...)
    So, if my mind serves me right, Ash (and many others) makes his Pokéball spin when he throws it. Perhaps that's how it is. :o
    As for opening, I believe that there is some sensor in it as well. Perhaps it uses the moment of Velocity = 0 to detect it's opening moment.

Or maybe it has something to so with other forces such as the Centripetal (?) Force of the throw, I don't know. But I'm sure there could be an explanation to it if real physicians would try to figure it out. Perhaps there'll also be something as preservation of Energy.

Urgh, explaining physics = not my thing, explaining physics in English = deffinitally not my thing.

For trainers who'd rather not throw their Pokéball, there should be other ways to open it. :o

hank jones

Elite Pokemon Ranger
    Years

The pokeball is a very advanced piece of technology. If the pokeball developers can find a way to shrink a being, they defiantly can have a ball fly towards someones hand.

p.s. IT IS A CARTOON!!!

Back