• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Paranormal

Years

• Paranormal Activity

With Halloween not too far off, it's time to get in the mood by discussing the paranormal.

Mankind's fixation on the paranormal is almost as old as mankind itself. Do Ghosts exist? What about the various legends and stories hauntings all over the world? What do you believe? Is this all within the realm of scientific understanding, or this their some credibility to one of oldest fears?

Old Thread said:

Now normally, Science and Reason can disprove almost all of the supernatural happenings in the world, For instance, the myth of the Vampire was unraveled once people understood the body's natural decomposition cycle. 9 times out of 10, Paranormal occurrences are quickly debunked, but there is always that one case that can't be explained by modern scientific conventions.

But what about the old Myths, Legends, and Hauntings that have
    yet to be explained?

Legends concerning The Jersey Devil, Sleepy Hollow, and the Bell Witch have existed in New England and the South for centuries, right up to the present day. Many hauntings and myths are attributed to ancient Native American burial mounds and tradition. Stories of haunted Civil War plantations and Battlefields continually pervade American culture.

The well-documented Haunting of Anneliese Michelle (the Real life Emily Rose) remains unexplained to this day.

Is there something truly supernatural at hand, or is it just another coincidence? Discuss why supernatural events continue to occur, despite us living in the Modern Age.

*Feel free to mention any major supernatural occurrences I may have missed.

Discuss any all all things relating to Paranormal entities, stories, hauntings, Halloween traditions, and legends.

Last edited:

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
    Years
  • well there are the "ghosts" in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    and also theres a ghost in my room that keeps hiding my stuff from me XD
    there is also supposed to be werewolf-like beings in the city I live in :S oooooo spoooooky lol :)

Last edited:

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • From what I believe, there are no such thing as 'ghosts'
    I'm not sure how these things happen though, I'm stumped, I do think theres a reasonable explanation for ones that haven't been solved. But I've never been a believer of paranormal activity (except for when I was younger :P ), I think its all in the mind, your mind is the one that scares you, not the ghost, In my opinion...

I might be going a little off topic here, but what about those people who should of been dead? I mean there was a kid (aged like 5?) got hit by a speeding car and got up unharmed? Is that paranormal? maybe...

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • well there are the "ghosts" in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    and also theres a ghost in my room that keeps hiding my stuff from me XD
    there is also supposed to be werewolf-like beings in the city I live in :S oooooo spoooooky lol :)

D/P/Pt ghosts? Is this a Creepypasta reference? a fable? Proven?

And no, ghosts and the paranormal are phony. I'm a scrooge when it comes to Haloween, Im the kind to go into a Haunted House and not run away or jump at anything, then make polite conversation with the zombie.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    We don't have Halloween in Greece ;;

There's said to be a haunted house near the street where I live, one that is rumored to let out horrifying howls and thunderbolt noises at night. I pass up this place often, though, and nothing strange has ever happened.

That aside, I believe in the paranormal, and I freak out easily when my mind travels through this stuff and then (ie) a door is shut from the air current.

Also, I've experienced a paranormal phenomenon, it's just late now and I'll post about it another time in extent.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    It's not that I don't believe in ghosts or forces, I've heard and read plenty of stories (though that still doesn't prove anything), but it's just something that's unexplainable to me. You can't prove it, therefore it's hard to say it's true or not. The more I think about it actually, the less I believe in it. It's just something that doesn't exist, it just doesn't. Things like that go against all nature's laws, and I just don't see it happening. I think this world isn't as mysterious and spiritual as people claim it to be.

Years
  • It's not that I don't believe in ghosts or forces, I've heard and read plenty of stories (though that still doesn't prove anything), but it's just something that's unexplainable to me. You can't prove it, therefore it's hard to say it's true or not. The more I think about it actually, the less I believe in it. It's just something that doesn't exist, it just doesn't. Things like that go against all nature's laws, and I just don't see it happening. I think this world isn't as mysterious and spiritual as people claim it to be.

If it can't be proven, it also can't be disproven either. We don't know everything about our world yet.

What laws? It actually follows natures laws, if you think about it. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, meaning it only changes form and gets adapted to different means. Over the course of a lifetime, the average human body puts out more energy than a Nuclear reactor. That energy has to go somewhere. The world is also quite mysterious, why are we here, etc. And don't confuse spirituality with religion.

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020

If it can't be proven, it also can't be disproven either. We don't know everything about our world yet.

What laws? It actually follows natures laws, if you think about it. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, meaning it only changes form and gets adapted to different means. Over the course of a lifetime, the average human body puts out more energy than a Nuclear reactor. That energy has to go somewhere. The world is also quite mysterious, why are we here, etc. And don't confuse spirituality with religion.
    You're right about that, that's why I said it is very hard to actually base an opinion on it, also for me. And I also agree about energy which certainly exists, even objects have an energy, and I think that's a fact. And if you look at it that way, it isn't that strange to think that there could be entities or forces. Saying they don't exist only because we can't experience/see them isn't right, and I agree on that. But in terms of ghosts, like, scary things that move objects in your house, I'm just not sure about that, because it seems so exaggerated. Those would be entities or forces, if anything, but not scary ghosts I think. That's kind of what I meant, but I should have worded it differently.

Years
  • I once saw a ghost. Or something that the term ghost feels the closest I can get. I was sleeping with my mother, the window was open. I saw something transparent. Just staying there and not moving. Imagine a cloth, floating in mid-air, not moving at all. It was not a dream, because I never remember my (if I have any) dreams.
    I never really saw that thing again; I was staring at it half of the night, maybe it was scared. Closest I can get. Otherwise, all film-caught ******** is cleverly edited.

Let me correct you: If it can't be proven, then it probably does not exist at all. Or at least, that is what I think.

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
    Years
  • Tottally on-topic again lol last night I went outside at around 1:30 a.m. or so to do a trade and as I was sitting on my bench outside I saw this white mist-like entity hover over me stop (aparently wanted to watch me trade lol) and then float twords the woods in my backyard.

So I guess I believe in the paranormal because quite a few "unexplainable" things have happened to me, and besides Halloween would be boring without the paranormal :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Let me correct you: If it can't be proven, then it probably does not exist at all. Or at least, that is what I think.

That's an incredibly weak argument. "I can't prove it, therefore it's impossible"

So if I can only count 2,000 stars in the sky, and since I can't prove that there's any others, the other couple billion must not exist.

Vectron

New Account=Faolan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2011
    One time, around 12 or 1 am, our dog just started barking at nothing. Different day, same time, our bird started going crazy for no reason. Another time, during the day, our blender went on by itself.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • The laptop of one of my roommates turn on at night alone, I think that it must have a ghost inside...
    Putting the jokes aside, I believe that paranormal phenomena are real, unfortunately there are many charlatans in the world that "study" these phenomena and the only thing they achieve is to look like a joke rather than a serious issue.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I think what can't be explained now will eventually be explained through means of science.

Or, it could all be one massive hoax.

But I remember watching a tv show. Two twins (female, in their 30's) meet up.
    Upon meeting they went absolute whacko. They got run over by trucks and literally got up and ran. Broken legs and everything. About three police officers had to restrain them and they were still running.

Then one murdered a good Samaritan and was separated from her twin. She was declared mentally sane.

DUNDUNDUNNNN

..ah, the mysteries of human life

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years

• That's an incredibly weak argument. "I can't prove it, therefore it's impossible"

Most of the time though it's this, "I can't explain it, therefore it's paranormal".

I personally don't believe in the paranormal because there is no scientific evidence to back it up. On the other hand there is a plethora of scientific data and explanations to everything that is supposedly paranormal. It holds no water basically. Some things may never get to the point of being 100% disproven but at a certain point the overwhelming lack of data and support for it has to be taken into account. Maybe the technology or understanding of certain things hasn't gotten to the point where we can disprove everything. The simplest way I think about is if I were a betting man, would I put my money on the paranormal existing or would I put my money against the paranormal existing. This is of course a purely scientific way to look at it. If a theory has too many holes, it is more than likely untrue.

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Also, I've experienced a paranormal phenomenon, it's just late now and I'll post about it another time in extent.
    Alright, I think it's about time I posted it.

I was 10. I remember this clearly due to my strong, selective memory.

Me and my cousins went on a trip to visit their aunt (which I've never met before). She lived in a village on the foothills of Mt. Olympus. Okay, as soon as we got there I got this eerie feeling which I couldn't explain.

Putting all details apart, night arrived and we had to go to sleep. For some unexplained reason, my cousins were put to sleep all together in the room upstairs while I had to sleep in a cold room with many windows, all alone. It was pouring and thundering outside so I couldn't get any sleep, I was just covering myself with the blanket and staring at the ceiling.

Suddenly, the door crackled open. I sprang up. It slooooowly opened wide and stopped just as suddenly as it started. I could see the staircase from there without moving an inch. And I saw it.

A black, adult manly figure walking towards the upper room. He was wearing a black overcoat and the stairs were crackling under his weight. Though at the moment I was more occupied with thoughts regarding the door that opened by itself, I assumed that it was my uncle who was going up.

Little I knew. The next day I told me aunt about this and she told me that her husband (hence my uncle) has passed away long ago. I was shocked. Of course the next thing to hear was so cliché. "You were dreaming my boy". Whatno. The door was left open like that when I got up in the morning, and plus, that eerie feeling left me just as we left the village, two days later.

Yes folks, this is true.

Years
  • Most of the time though it's this, "I can't explain it, therefore it's paranormal".

I personally don't believe in the paranormal because there is no scientific evidence to back it up. On the other hand there is a plethora of scientific data and explanations to everything that is supposedly paranormal. It holds no water basically. Some things may never get to the point of being 100% disproven but at a certain point the overwhelming lack of data and support for it has to be taken into account. Maybe the technology or understanding of certain things hasn't gotten to the point where we can disprove everything. The simplest way I think about is if I were a betting man, would I put my money on the paranormal existing or would I put my money against the paranormal existing. This is of course a purely scientific way to look at it. If a theory has too many holes, it is more than likely untrue.

While I agree here, Science doesn't hold every answer - at least not yet. In terms of the paranormal, why would people openly say they've seen ghosts/been haunted in the face of social stigma. I don't think people would lie or make up a scenario in which they'd be judged negatively for.

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
    Years

• While I agree here, Science doesn't hold every answer - at least not yet. In terms of the paranormal, why would people openly say they've seen ghosts/been haunted in the face of social stigma. I don't think people would lie or make up a scenario in which they'd be judged negatively for.

I have to agree with you on this one A LOT of people openly talk about their experiences with the paranormal some of them even say that they don't care what people will think because they know what they saw/touched/heard/smell?/or tasted?

Years
  • I've seen the fair folk more then once in my life, and so has my best friend. I've also seen the ghost of my old cat a couple of times lurking around. The ghost thing would bother me but he was such an awesome cat that I don't mind him sticking around.

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020

While I agree here, Science doesn't hold every answer - at least not yet. In terms of the paranormal, why would people openly say they've seen ghosts/been haunted in the face of social stigma. I don't think people would lie or make up a scenario in which they'd be judged negatively for.
    I agree as well, but I can totally understand if people would make these kind of things up. It's because people want to be interesting, they want something to tell. And some people are just pathological liars. But I agree with you on the fact that science isn't able to prove everything yet, and just because of that, we shouldn't call it untrue.

Back