• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the pkmn effect

Years
    I found this comic on somone's pkmn blog, if posting this is not allowed or if it was posted already please let me know and I'll take it down

Anyway, so I found this comic which I thought was very interesting. I'm currently in high school, and I can tell you that the high school section of the comic is definitely true for my school, although many people actually secretly play the games anyway. What I want to know is what college students (and older adults) think of pokemon in general. Is the college section of the comic accurate as well? what about for older people who are no longer in college?

the pkmn effect

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    High school is a dead cert for basically everybody.

As for College and later on- it widely varies, and depends on where you are. Among non-gamers, it is far more likely that they'll keep the high school mentality towards it, whilst fellow gamers are much more likely to share this interest.

As for me personally, the only folks that I discuss Pokémon with would be ya folks online, and my bestest best buddy bud.

Years
    WOW that is expacly how it is!
    love the animations lol
    im in college and i still love pokemon and happy to let everyone know i love it. :P

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Oh... if only college could really be like that...

I'm in "high school" (UK, so it's known as secondary school), and seriously. If you mention the word Pokemon amongst the wrong company, it's social suicide.

Pokemon people have to seek each other out and meet in secret, lest they be mocked.

The Darkest Gale

Welcome to my life
    Years
    Oh... if only college could really be like that...

I'm in "high school" (UK, so it's known as secondary school), and seriously. If you mention the word Pokemon amongst the wrong company, it's social suicide.

Pokemon people have to seek each other out and meet in secret, lest they be mocked.

yup I live in scotland and its the same :P

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    College students tend to be a lot more open-minded and not quite as clique-ish as high school students. It's perhaps due ot the significant difference in maturity between your average high schooler and your average college student (assuming that high school dropout rates act as a maturity filter of sorts) Once you enter college you'll find most people are too preoccupied with their studies to care about you or your interests. XD

To be honest though, I've yet to meet another video game nerd of my caliber throughout the entirety of my college career. XD

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    There was an entire Pokémon tournament the other day at my high school (in the comic, substitute "High School" with "Middle School" and "College" with "High School") for everyone who had HG/SS and was a senior. There were more than 15 people participating.

The Pokémon Effect is a real phenomenon everywhere. Face it, haters.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    When I was in grade school, nobody else really like Pokemon as much as me. I became the outlier there, so yeah. No mercy for the immature.

Of course, I doubt my incoming high school for next year will be the same thing because it's full people I fit in with (Video Game Fans, Video Game Developers, Computer Techies, etc...). And College I am not exactly sure.

I guess I can say my life has been that comic but inverted... in a way.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    That is so true!
    Though in Grade School there were those rare fans, in Middle School they were non-existant. I was even laughed at for being a Pokémon/Anime fan. In those days, people thought Anime to equal Pokémon... Though I was drawing things that had nothing to do with Pokémon.

When I went to university... well, let's just say I hear something Pokémon related at least once a week. XD

M O M U S U

Fail-safe
    Years
    High School is just a dead zone for everything. All anyone ever tries to do is one-up each other. Pokemon is just an easy target for kids.

In College, nobody gives a damn.

Years
    I just started highschool in Augest but that is how it is!
    Very true and funny xD lol
    I'd love to wear a flippin diglett hat to each class :P
    I didn't notice the diglett hat until you mentioned it hahaha
    but that would be an awesome hat to have xD

well I guess people in high school are just less open-minded to something that is supposed to be aimed towards kids?
    I mean, telling people that you like pokemon in my high school will get people to laugh at you, but I find that most people play the games secretly anyway (we still dont talk about it though)
    but I've yet to meet someone at my school who is as into the franchise as I am =P

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
    Haha, that is so true! Well, I take my PokeWalker to college.
    Normally I hide it in my purse, but sometimes I come across someone playing with it, and we exchange gifts. No one really cares. :P

Years
    That comic is quite true. At primary school, everyone likes it, and are shocked if people don't like it, and at high school, people just mock you if you do like it. Total opposites, even though you only have a 6 week holiday in between primary and secondary.

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
    I'm in 5th grade, and only me and two of my best friends play Pokemon. Whenever I say "Have you played the games?" They say "Yea.. I've played Pokemon D/P and it is stupid."

off-topic: When I asked a little kid (7) "Have you played Pokemon Silver before?" He replied "What's that? I only have Pokemon Platinum!"

Kids should try the older games. When I have a kid, I'm going to force them to play R/B/Y, G/S/C, and R/S/E even if they have some holographic game. I want them to experience the old games so they get exposed to what I felt like when I was 5-6.

Back