• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon Q/A Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
Years
  • SECTION 0: INTRODUCTION TO THE COMPENDIUM
    As promised in the greatest thread in all of PC history, here is a massive compendium of some commonly and uncommonly-asked questions regarding Pokémon. The original thread became a bit slow and cluttered, so this is an attempt to keep everything together in one neat place.

The Compendium will always be a work in progress; this post will be updated whenever new questions or information arise.

Most of these questions were taken from the Guru thread, so credit for the answers goes mostly to the people who were active there (Inkfingers, templekeeper, Niprop, and most of the people in my sig). Note that the answers to these questions were derived through a combination of physics, biology, and logic, so some degree of scientific understanding may be necessary when browsing the answers. For convenience' sake, all of the questions are currently divided into 6 categories, which you should see below as Sections I-VI.

With the introduction out of the way, there are two things to keep in mind when going through the Compendium:

1) If you have a question that isn't listed here, or a better-fitting answer, get it to me in some form and it will be included here.

2) While a lot of facts are used and referenced, a lot of this is theory.

SECTION I: THE POKÉMON WORLD
    Spoiler:

SECTION II: POKÉMON TECHNOLOGY
    Spoiler:

SECTION III: QUESTIONS RE. SPECIFIC POKÉMON
    Spoiler:

SECTION IV: POKÉMON TYPING AND ATTACKS
    Spoiler:

SECTION V: BREEDING/GENETICS
    Spoiler:

SECTION VI: MISCELLANEOUS
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Good post. I wasn't aware you were making such a thing, though it definitely goes in the same vein as my various articles.

There's a few points I wanted to bring up on some of the entries, though not many. Hopefully they can influence the compendium for the better.

Finally, I just think it should be made more clear that most of the answers in here are fan-theories, despite being the most logical conclusions. Pretending to be the be-all, end-all answer to everything (even when it's not trying to be) can annoy some people. Perhaps a text-marker or image-label of some sort can be applied to the different answers, denoting them as being stated canon, ambiguous canon, logical fan theory, or rationalized fan theory.

What defines a Pokémon?
    Spoiler:

General-sentience seems to be an anime-only requirement for Pokemon. While there are many Pokemon of equal or greater-than intelligence compared to humans in the games, the vast majority appear to be of an animal-level intelligence. I feel this requirement should only be applicable to the anime, while being probable for the games.

Do non-Pokémon animals exist?
    Spoiler:

Though I agree with the admitted ambiguity of this issue in the Pokemon world expressed in your answer, a friend of mine felt you were "ignoring" the facts to fit some sort of agenda. So, acting in her stead, I should point out that while non-Pokemon animals are mentioned in Pokedex entries and don't appear in the games, this shouldn't immediately bring question to their existence. Realize that the games are a vehicle for entertainment, so such things as "Why don't you use the bathroom," "When do you sleep," and "The world seems so small," won't be represented. They simply don't align with the theme of the game, which is Pokemon. Therefore, it can be assumed that animals do exist, they just aren't seen because they aren't important.

Why do Trainers need to use trading machines?
    Spoiler:

The earliest instance in the anime I can recall that is contrary to this is the Viridian City Pokecenter showdown, or episode 2. Misty easily picked up a Pokeball for battle, and it reacted.

I think the purpose of Trading Machines is more a case of registering with the beaurocratic government just like we have to when a car changes hands.

Is Arcanine/Chimecho/Lucario/Rotom a Legendary Pokémon?
    Spoiler:

I would like to point out that in the Japanese text of the games, legendary Pokemon are divided into three types: Pokemon of legend, Mirage Pokemon, and Pokemon of myth. All three were brought into the singular term "Legendary" upon American translation.

It should also be realized that "Legendary" carries more of a competitive-battling focus in American-use, which explains why Mewtwo and Deoxys count as Legendarys.

Without going too into it (been discussed before, often, and excruciatingly-detailed), I think the above Pokemon, "pseudo-legendaries", if you will, are legendarys in the sense that they are the focus of legends, but not "Legendarys" (capital l) due to not having a strong battling-focus. So, they're more like "Pokemon of cultural significance", just not of existential significance.

How do composite Pokémon like Slowpoke/Beldum/Magnemite/Diglett/etc. evolve if there are no proper Pokémon around?
    Spoiler:

A subpoint should be made for Diglett. Note the Ruby/Sapphire 'Dex entry:

Dugtrio are actually triplets that emerged from one body. As a result, each triplet thinks exactly like the other two triplets. They work cooperatively to burrow endlessly.

And the Emerald entry:

Dugtrio are actually triplets that emerged from one body. As a result, each triplet thinks exactly like the other two triplets. They work cooperatively to burrow endlessly.

So they're not strictly in the same grouping as the others, having a different evolution-type, but should still be referenced for confusion's-sake.

Where does Kadabra's spoon come from?
    Spoiler:

An alternate theory is that the spoon is really just the metaphysical representation of Kadabra and Alakazam's psychic powers, and don't actually exist.

How/why is Magikarp still alive?
    Spoiler:

Considering the question, I think I'd like seeing my various theories from the other thread included with deeper explanation.

How do fish Pokémon, like Quilfish and Lanturn, battle out of water?
    Spoiler:

See my theory from another thread: "
    Water Pokemon are elemental. They don't need a water source nearby to produce water... And if you're wondering how they get around when they can't swim. That's kinda obvious: they lubricate the ground and slide, or use their water-production to surf on the ground. Pretty simple. (I imagine that in-universe handicaps would also be granted for the benefit of Pokemon at a disadvantage)"

Why do PokeDex entries list huge Pokemon as being so light?
    Spoiler:

My take on it was always that the 'Dex entries on weight were the average taken upon immediate evolution, when they would still be relatively small.

The Scientist

Years
  • Good post. I wasn't aware you were making such a thing, though it definitely goes in the same vein as my various articles.

I think I first mentioned it before you showed up, here.

Finally, I just think it should be made more clear that most of the answers in here are fan-theories, despite being the most logical conclusions. Pretending to be the be-all, end-all answer to everything (even when it's not trying to be) can annoy some people. Perhaps a text-marker or image-label of some sort can be applied to the different answers, denoting them as being stated canon, ambiguous canon, logical fan theory, or rationalized fan theory.

The introduction does mention that some of this is theory, but a color-coding system could be in order.

General-sentience seems to be an anime-only requirement for Pokemon. While there are many Pokemon of equal or greater-than intelligence compared to humans in the games, the vast majority appear to be of an animal-level intelligence. I feel this requirement should only be applicable to the anime, while being probable for the games.

The Sinnoh Region myth and Sinnoh Folk Tale #3 regard Pokémon as being equal to humans: both sentient and sapient (whereas animals are only sentient).

Sinnoh Folk Tale #3 said:
    There once were Pokémon that
    became very close to humans.
    There once were humans and Pokémon
    that ate together at the same table.
    It was a time when there existed no
    differences to distinguish the two.

Though I agree with the admitted ambiguity of this issue in the Pokemon world expressed in your answer, a friend of mine felt you were "ignoring" the facts to fit some sort of agenda. So, acting in her stead, I should point out that while non-Pokemon animals are mentioned in Pokedex entries and don't appear in the games, this shouldn't immediately bring question to their existence. Realize that the games are a vehicle for entertainment, so such things as "Why don't you use the bathroom," "When do you sleep," and "The world seems so small," won't be represented. They simply don't align with the theme of the game, which is Pokemon. Therefore, it can be assumed that animals do exist, they just aren't seen because they aren't important.

The earliest instance in the anime I can recall that is contrary to this is the Viridian City Pokecenter showdown, or episode 2. Misty easily picked up a Pokeball for battle, and it reacted.

Alright, that answer has been removed. Although Misty doesn't have a PokeDex with which to react to the Ball, I think Ash may have used other trainers' Balls (hehe) at some point or another.

I think the purpose of Trading Machines is more a case of registering with the beaurocratic government just like we have to when a car changes hands.

Maybe each Pokemon League keeps a file on every Trainer in the region and their stats, which includes the amount and type of Pokemon caught. Each League will only allow you to enter Pokemon that have been registered to you in order to discourage stealing and other underhanded methods of obtaining Pokemon.

I would like to point out that in the Japanese text of the games, legendary Pokemon are divided into three types: Pokemon of legend, Mirage Pokemon, and Pokemon of myth. All three were brought into the singular term "Legendary" upon American translation.

This information has been included.

A subpoint should be made for Diglett. Note the Ruby/Sapphire 'Dex entry:

And the Emerald entry:

So they're not strictly in the same grouping as the others, having a different evolution-type, but should still be referenced for confusion's-sake.

Done.

An alternate theory is that the spoon is really just the metaphysical representation of Kadabra and Alakazam's psychic powers, and don't actually exist.

I won't add this just yet, I think I saw an entry somewhere that mentioned Alakazam using the spoons for close-range physical strikes.

Considering the question, I think I'd like seeing my various theories from the other thread included with deeper explanation.

The commonness and reference to physical sturdiness were the basis of your Magikarp theory (the first post was a description of killifish).

Last edited:

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Actually, and you said it truthfully, it is the best thread I've ever read. You should make a site out of this.
    One thing(and maybe more. I'll inquire later) bothers me though about the Pokeballs.

Remember the episode about Brock falling in love with the illusion created by Ninetales(Master Quest). Ninetails has a pokeball that looks ancient and porcelain.

Another, about the giant Claydol episode and the giant rock pokeball. And the movie Pokemon 4 Ever, when young Prof. Oak battles with Ash using his Charmeleon(and where is it now? O_o). The pokemon was contained in the mechanical looking robot.

You said:

How do PokéBalls work?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

In those days, digital technology hasn't been born. Plasma and Electromagnetic waves has just been realized and tested for economic use. And in the very ancient days, they don't know any applications for plasma.

Last edited:

The Scientist

Years
  • Actually, and you said it truthfully, it is the best thread I've ever read. You should make a site out of this.
    One thing(and maybe more. I'll inquire later) bothers me though about the Pokeballs.

Remember the episode about Brock falling in love with the illusion created by Ninetales(Master Quest). Ninetails has a pokeball that looks ancient and porcelain.

Another, about the giant Claydol episode and the giant rock pokeball. And the movie Pokemon 4 Ever, when young Prof. Oak battles with Ash using his Charmeleon(and where is it now? O_o). The pokemon was contained in the mechanical looking robot.

You said:

In those days, digital technology hasn't been born. Plasma and Electromagnetic waves has just been realized and tested for economic use. And in the very ancient days, they don't know any applications for plasma.

I have thought about this, as well as other Pokemon storage devices like apricorns and the giant spoon. Modern PokeBalls, however, have a few extra perks: item storage (there's a reason Hold Items weren't always around), Trainer ID/PokeBall SN embedding, a possible VR environment...

One possible explanation is that Pokemon have the inherent ability to turn into data, and this change is triggered by a substance/radiation. Modern technology, data coding and all, was reverse-engineered from Pokemon like Metagross, which are described as supercomputers.

Any ideas?

Years
  • Nice thread.

How do composite Pokémon like Slowpoke/Beldum/Magnemite/etc. evolve if there are no proper Pokémon around?
    Spoiler:

I think it might be important to note that in this episode
    when Beldum evolves into Metang, it "created" another Beldum to evolve, instead of fusing with another one.

Last edited:

ShatteredRose

Thanks for Noticin'
    Years
  • While you mention if pokemon age in their pokeball, my questions is if there is evidence if pokemon age at all? And if they do age, can they die from old age?

I always remember the episode with the old Ninetails when I think about pokemon aging.

The Scientist

Years
  • Nice thread.

I think it might be important to note that in this episode
    when Beldum evolves into Metang, it did "create" another Beldum to evolve, instead of fusing with another one.

This has been added to the corresponding section.

While you mention if pokemon age in their pokeball, my questions is if there is evidence if pokemon age at all? And if they do age, can they die from old age?

I always remember the episode with the old Ninetails when I think about pokemon aging.

Pokemon do age: aside from that Ninetales, there was the blue-eyed Surfing Pikachu (Puka), and Tracey's Scyther was said to be fairly old.

As far as dying of old age, I think that the Onix grave in the Sevii Islands was for an Onix that died of old age.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2012
    What defines a Pokémon?

Spoiler:
    A simple question with a difficult answer: when one considers that possessed dolls, space viruses, and digital coding can be classified as a Pokémon, things get a bit complicated.

Therefore, it is best to list some criteria that a Pokémon must fill.
    In order to be a Pokémon, the thing in question must obey at least 3 of the following:
    • Must be a sentient being who has properties that correspond to predefined elemental types.
    • Must be able to learn attacks and moves that correspond to a defined list of moves.
    • Must be able to breed with other Pokémon, obeying the Egg Grouping laws.
    • Must be a direct biological descendant of Arceus.
    Therefore, while a human may be able to learn Scratch and could be classified as a Normal type, they cannot breed with Pokémon and are not biologically descended from Arceus.

Porygon, although artificially created, does meet 3 of the criteria.

At first, Deoxys only seems to fit the first two criteria, but as a confirmed Pokémon, one can conclude that the DNA that composes the deoxyvirus that is Deoxys must have been derived from Arceus in some way

I noticed something. everuy single pokemon lays eggs to reproduce, this is a charecteristic of reptiles, and obviosly not all pokemon can be consideres reptiles. dosent this mean, then, that laying eggs is also a charecteristic of a pokemon?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Please don't revive threads that haven't been posted in for a month or more, thanks! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back