• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The problem withSpiritomb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Spiritomb is pretty cool. Im into the whole dark looking things..The main reason i like it is because as a pokemon it has no weakness, therefor it doesnt need high HP/Def. nothing is super affective. Who cares about how it looks, we don't need everything to look the same, if we did evem team rocket would have cute litle pokemon. Diversity is beautiful. lawlz.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2007
    i dont use it because i cant get it... Not many ppl have D/P here and none of the ppl i know have it so i cant meet 32 ppl underground =.=

shirokiryuu

L'Arc Fanatic
    Years
    I have to admit I'm one of those people who is hesistant to use uhh.. Not-as-cute pokemon. Spiritomb doesn't match my personally very much. I know it's shallow, whatever, I never had any reason to use it (which may contribute to the fact that my teams usually suck). However, I do think Tyrannitars are very cute. I think Gastlys are more eye pleasing.

Prince Roserade

De LichtBloem
    Years
    I absolutely love Spiritomb. Ugly? O_o Well kinda, yeah, but who cares? Unlike Sableye, its stats are useful. Speed isn't a problem for one with 102 on both defenses and offensively it's good enough. Calm Mind works well with him, too.

So yep, I love Spiritomb.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    It's good that there's debate on things like this. I don't like Spiritomb just because I don't want it, no real reason. (Well that and I have a Haunter and Driffbloom that I love very much in my party now, so another ghost would just be silly).

Remember though, don't hate someone just because they like "cuter" pokemon, you should like them because they like pokemon. You could very well be totally alone without people to talk to about the game if you'd prefer that.

Barboach

As we know it.
    Years
    Not all pokemon are pretty to look at but apperance shouldn't be judged on how well they do in battle. Most cute pokemon are usually very bad battlers while the more "ugly" pokemon are way stronger.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2007
    Now! People, we need to be clear on something. There are multiple reasons to use pokemon, the main reason in competitive battling is for their stats and strategies, but for many who have higher astetic values and dont necessarily care about the perfect strategic team, can and have the full right to judge the pokemon by their looks.

I personnaly find spiritomb looks awesome and consider using one in place of my umbreon if ever i want less pokemon in my team that are weak to fighting moves.

When I make my team I usually try to find pokemon that I find cool overall(that includes the stats) so to each their own. For some reason I dont like people who make their team JUST on stats tho.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Spiritomb is cool, cute, beautiful and pretty useful, too. What's not to love about it? :3 Its movepool is limited, but it has all the moves it needs. Will-O-Wisp and Hypnosis are fun, Amnesia can be useful and Pain Split is utter pwnage! <3
    dusknoir > spiritomb

nuff said.
    Capitalization > you. 'Nuff said. And it really depends on the rest of your team which one is better. If you have a bunch of speical sponge thingamajigs on your team, then yes, Dusknoir is better, but if you don't, a Spiritomb with Amnesia might do your team good. Spiritomb also gets Hypnosis, which IIRC, Dusknoir doesn't.

Legacy

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    People who judge the worthiness of something based on its appearance are shallow in my books.
    We're talking about Pokémon, not potential girl/boyfriends, though. I choose Pokémon based on whether I like the look of them and what their movesets are. Is there anything wrong with that? No, of course not. Pokémon are just sprites and lines of code, they don't have feelings.

Now! People, we need to be clear on something. There are multiple reasons to use pokemon, the main reason in competitive battling is for their stats and strategies, but for many who have higher astetic values and dont necessarily care about the perfect strategic team, can and have the full right to judge the pokemon by their looks.

I personnaly find spiritomb looks awesome and consider using one in place of my umbreon if ever i want less pokemon in my team that are weak to fighting moves.

When I make my team I usually try to find pokemon that I find cool overall(that includes the stats) so to each their own. For some reason I dont like people who make their team JUST on stats tho.
    Great post, and one I completely agree with. If this place had a rep/karma system, that post would be deserving of some.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    We're talking about Pokémon, not potential girl/boyfriends, though. I choose Pokémon based on whether I like the look of them and what their movesets are. Is there anything wrong with that? No, of course not. Pokémon are just sprites and lines of code, they don't have feelings.

Lol, feelings don't enter into it. In pokémon games the focus should be on 'what can this pokémon do?' not 'what does it look like?', imo. I think that's what he was getting at.

Spiritomb can do a lot. It's like Sableye without the sucky statline, and that Pressure trait is awesome. As mentioned by others, over 100 base in both defenses is not shabby at all, and while its HP is low it compensates for this by being able learn Will-O-Wisp (Which halves the opponent's attack) and Amnesia (or Calm Mind) with which to buff its SDef through the roof. There's also Pain Split and Rest to keep HP high while at the same time posessing enough SAtk to actually hurt things with Dark Pulse. Personally, I get annoyed when people whine about the low Speed because really: what the fudge would Spiritomb need speed for? The statline, trait, typing, and movepool should be a quite clear indication of the fact that it's best for soaking up hits (while simultaneously pressuring away PP) and slowly buffing up or just plain parring away the opponent's HP. Would it be better if its Speed was better? Yes, but you can't have everything. The balance between strengths and weaknesses is what makes pokémon so appealing from a strategic point of view, and I for one don't want to see that aspect of the games broken (Although the recent surge of offensively minded held items is a push in that direction <<). Spiritomb is tough enough not to need outspeeding to win. Most of these arguments about pokémon being 'useless', sadly, stem from the fact that the whiners don't have a clue about how to use them. .___.

But yeah, if we want to forgoe all arguments of strategy and usefulness for beating the game and base everything on looks (A subject on which I will just refer to Asch's statement, as I couldn't have said it much better myself) then people are - of course - free to not use it, it's a matter of preference, everyone's entitled to their own. What they aren't entitled to, however, is to stamp the lable of 'useless' or any other derogatory term on something just because they personally don't agree with its graphical design. Personally, I love the way Spiritomb looks (Actually, I far prefer it to Milotic, a pokémon whose appearance has never really appealed to me) and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Oh, and Icha; ingame opponents are a terrible way to measure the capabilites of pokémon. Spiritomb is capable of walling and stalling 'til kingdom come if played right. Don't condemn it because it was saddled with an inferior moveset and put under the control of an AI geared to be beaten by 8-year olds. .___.

Last edited:

Legacy

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    Lol, feelings don't enter into it. In pokémon games the focus should be on 'what can this pokémon do?' not 'what does it look like?', imo.
    Surely, Pokémon games focus on "How can I enjoy this game to the fullest?" If not, why are there so many Pokémon that are basically useless in terms of competitive play?

If I get more enjoyment from the game by training up a team of Pokémon I like the look of, like Lucario and Toxicroak, as opposed to Pokémon I think look ugly or poorly designed, like Bidoof or Probopass, then isn't that the right thing to do?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Surely, Pokémon games focus on "How can I enjoy this game to the fullest?" If not, why are there so many Pokémon that are basically useless in terms of competitive play?

If I get more enjoyment from the game by training up a team of Pokémon I like the look of, like Lucario and Toxicroak, as opposed to Pokémon I think look ugly or poorly designed, like Bidoof or Probopass, then isn't that the right thing to do?

Thanks for totally ignoring the part of my post that adressed that aspect. -.- Yes, if it tickles your fancy feel free to play through with a team of Magikarp for all I care, you are fully entitled to enjoying it however you wish, but you seemed to be misinterpreting Asch's comment, hence my remark. Personally, I enjoy pokémon for the strategy and find the 'it doesn't look the way I want it to so I'll just ignore it alltogether' attitude depressing as following it really shuts out the beautiful strategy aspect of the thing, but that's just me. Like I said, everyone is free to enjoy the game as they wish, it's just people whining about things that don't suit their personal tastes that rubs me the wrong way. <<

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Oh, and Icha; ingame opponents are a terrible way to measure the capabilites of pokémon. Spiritomb is capable of walling and stalling 'til kingdom come if played right. Don't condemn it because it was saddled with an inferior moveset and put under the control of an AI geared to be beaten by 8-year olds. .___.

Actually it was because the one I encountered when battling the Elite 5 went down in one hit from my 10-levels-lower Infernape's Flame Wheel. My ATK-neutral nature Infernape. Without conscious EV training.

And walling isn't exactly "my style". I tried it in Emerald with Umbreon and it just didn't feel right. Of course, this might be subject to change, but chances are I won't be using Spiritomb anytime soon.

Dark Heaven

Brighter than dawning blue.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 17, 2007
    I think he's one of the most unique Pokemon out there.

I have one and it owns, although it's an attacking one.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2007

Yup, That's how I see it.
    I was thinking of making myself a team of weird lookin pokemon... up to now Ive only thought of Drifblim and and porygon-z... I like snorlax but Ive already got a normal type in there.
    So, as you can see, I'm having fun trying to come up with a weird looking team, BUT at the same time I want the team to be decent, so everyone has their way of 'goals' and ways of having fun with the game, it's not just a matter of having the best pokemon out there.

Alter ego, any type of whining is annoying, but just like everything in life, people do things the way they want, and people whine when something's not the way they want it, it's not your problem if they whine so just ignore them. Some people don't see both sides of things, including pokemon. Too bad.
    My friend made a team of only ratatas and everyone found it stupid except me, i find it funny.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I agree Dusknoir may be Better as experts might say, but it's Offensive Stats and Base Hp is decent. the Base 50 Stats isn't so bad i guess. but it makes a Great Special/Physical Wall. and it has a Average Attack/Special Attack as well. it's Hp, Attack/Defense/special Defense/special defense all aern't bad. which makes it a great pokemon, but Dusknoir is Better.

i guess Spiritomb is a little Above Average pokemon. it's speed is Horrible though. but it's a Wall, and Walls are always Slow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back