• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Quest for the Legends (version ILCOE)

emeraldslay

Obsessed with Mew/writing
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 3, 2008
    It is extremely rare that I say this about a fan fiction but, this has the potential to be published if copyright laws etc didn't interfere. This is such a brilliant story! Can't wait for the next chapter! I also love how you moulded levels, shinies, potions and TMs into this fic. It adds up to one ultimate fic.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Just a small update:

Chapter 13 is on the fifth page, and it's going to be good. It features another one of my made-up Pok?mon...

A preview for you all:

When a lone Murkrow flew over the desert a short while later, he witnessed a most peculiar sight.

It was as if a stream of jet-black ink started seeping out through the dunes, covering the sand. If he had then lowered his flight, as to see what was going on, he might have noticed that the flood was in fact made of thousands and millions of relatively small creatures, black as night.

Their movements were synchronized like those of a school of fish, yet they were so many that to the Murkrow high above, it seemed like a blanket of shadow had spread out over the sand.

Had the Murkrow landed, it would have been his doom.

pokefan007

~the best avvy yet!~
    Years
  • OOOoohh, I CAN'T wait.... Your stories are soooooooooooooo good!!!!! Since you said it was on page 5, go ahead and spare us the torchure (spelling??) and post at least to page 2...PLEEEEASE!!!!! If I was to rate this fic... It would be a number so big, only a sideways "8" could represent it....

(the sideways "8" is the infinity sign for those who didn't know...)

Dragonfree

Years
  • I only post a chapter when I've finished it, so no, you're not getting the first two pages earlier. I was being very nice by giving you that sneak peek.

emeraldslay

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 3, 2008
    Hmm, being nice or torturing us? x_x lol just kidding.

Dragonfree

Years
  • Mwahahahaha. TORTURE! MORE SPOILERS!

- It introduces a new character - or does it?
    - May gets a bit more attention, so to speak.
    - Introducing... PHILOSOPHICAL CONVERSATIONS! There's going to be a lot of them around later.
    - And the Black Desert...

emeraldslay

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 3, 2008
    *Struggles not to kill himself*
    Tomrrow!? Too long!
    *tries to kill himself again*

Dragonfree

Years
  • I know, I know, I'm late.

-------
    RATING

Violence: A bit of battling that isn't even described in details, so you'll be fine.

Gore: None worth mentioning.

Sexuality: None.

Profanity: There's a "****"...

Other: Includes a bit of death talk.
    -------

Chapter 13: The Black Desert

?Hmmm? yeah, it?s definitely shorter??

May was observing the Ouen Map at the Pok?mon Center while Mark was petting Eevee, who was curled up in his arms, half-asleep.

?What is shorter than what?? Mark questioned.

?It?s shorter to go through the Black Desert to Scorpio City than around it,? May replied.

?Black Desert?? asked Mark doubtfully. ?I don?t like the sound of that.?

?We?ve got our Pok?mon,? May just said.

?But May? if the normal route goes around the desert, there?s got to be a reason for it, right?? Mark asked, not at all convinced.

?What could possibly happen? We?ve got strong Pok?mon to fend off any wild ones, we?ve got Water Pok?mon who can quench our thirst in the unlikely case of emergency, and it isn?t very far anyway??

Suddenly she added: ?You?ve got a sleeping bag, right? We aren?t going to find a hotel in the desert, you know.?

?Yeah, of course,? Mark answered, immediately afterwards realizing that this had sounded like he was agreeing.

?Come on, we should hurry,? May said and marched outside. Mark had no choice but to follow her, wondering whether she had intentionally tricked him into answering the sleeping bag question.

-------

On they walked, out of the city, into the mountains, higher and higher up. There were a few Pok?mon there, but not many, and they were easily taken care of. The sky was clear and the sun shone with blazing intensity, making it rather uncomfortably hot.

?I do not look forward to walking through that desert in this,? Mark moaned. May ignored him.

They walked all day with a few stops, entering the sandy, lifeless wasteland known as the Black Desert around six o?clock.

?The ?Black Desert??? Mark asked, looking blankly over the yellowish-brown dunes.

?It?s just a name,? said May, shrugging. ?Come on.?

The sun slowly sank into the horizon as they were on their way through the desert. It quickly got ice cold, and finally they decided to stop for the night. Charmeleon got to sleep outside of his Pok?ball due to the tail flame, which made them feel safer.

?What?s so black about it?? Mark asked, lying in his sleeping bag and staring into the fire.

?Go to sleep,? May muttered.

He took her advice.

-------

When a lone Murkrow flew over the desert a short while later, he witnessed a most peculiar sight.

It was as if a stream of jet-black ink started seeping out through the dunes, covering the sand. If he had then lowered his flight, as to see what was going on, he might have noticed that the flood was in fact made of thousands and millions of relatively small creatures, black as night.

Their movements were synchronized like those of a school of fish, yet they were so many that to the Murkrow high above, it seemed like a blanket of shadow had spread out over the sand.

Had the Murkrow landed, it would have been his doom.

-------

Something was creeping up on Mark again. It was not Scyther or Fangcat; it was a new threat, shrouded in darkness. He had gotten used to these dreams the previous night, but there was something eerie about this one that sent a chill going down his spine.

All of a sudden, the dream burst into an eruption of flames. It was so burning hot that Mark found himself awake and sitting upright the next second, facing the answer to his question from earlier.

All around, a crowd of pitch-black scorpion-like Pok?mon faced him with their segmented tails raised. Each had two yellow, pupil-less, evil-looking eyes on the front of its head. Two pincers snapped at the end of the foremost set of limbs. And it was so crowded that there was no sight of the sand anywhere except just near where the kids were. The Black Desert was indeed black.

For some reason, May was also awake, staring at the scorpions with the same expression of horror that Mark had. Charmeleon was still asleep, blissfully unaware of it all.

?What are they?? May whispered.

Mark didn?t answer; he just reached for the Pok?dex clipped to his belt and pointed it at one of the scorpions with a trembling hand.

?Scorplack, scorpion Pok?mon,? said the Pok?dex in an electronically calm voice. ?Native only to the Black Desert, they sleep buried in the sand during the day and come out in hordes in the night to hunt. They are actually blind, but have eye-like spots on their heads to frighten enemies. Scientists debate on whether to classify them as Bug/Poison or Poison/Dark.?

Mark closed his Pok?dex, swallowing. While that was to be expected, the Pok?dex had confirmed them as poisonous, and a Dark type, even if debatable, was usually only given to Pok?mon that were known to occasionally ?play dirty? ? such as by attacking humans for prey.

Well, obviously they weren?t surrounding them to congratulate them on being the millionth people to cross the desert. Mark just wondered why they hadn?t attacked yet. They were just standing still, staring at them with their fake eyes.

?Charmeleon,? he poked his partner, ?we have? er, a bit of a problem.?

The lizard mumbled and grudgingly opened his eyes. Upon seeing the Scorplack, he jumped to his feet and faced them, growling.

?I think he has a point,? May said, standing up and taking four Pok?balls off her necklace. ?Butterfree, Skarmory, Pikachu, Larvitar!?

?Sandshrew, Dratini, Scyther, go!? Mark shouted, releasing his Pok?mon too.

Then the battle started.

As soon as the Pok?mon came out of their Pok?balls, the Scorplack started crawling towards them, trying to sting them. Charmeleon did pretty well frying them before they came too near; Sandshrew had a certain resistance to poison as a Ground-type but Mark ended up recalling him because Earthquake did same as nothing in this sand. Dratini surrounded himself with a Twister, preventing the Scorplack from getting near enough. Scyther was too fast for them, swooping down and cutting their tails off to make them unable to harm the others. Thankfully, Scyther and Charmeleon were too busy to even notice each other.

May?s Pok?mon were doing better than Mark?s. Butterfree fluttered above, sending flurries of toxic spores down to put a crowd of them to sleep at a time, while her Skarmory, being absolutely immune to poison of any kind, dove down to drill its beak into the scorpions. Pikachu aimed bolts of lightning at some of the bigger ones, but Larvitar attempted to blow them away with Sandstorm. Meanwhile, the kids, protected by their Pok?mon, hurriedly packed their sleeping bags.

But the Scorplack were too many. Pikachu, Dratini, Butterfree and Larvitar got exhausted after a short while and their trainers recalled them. Scyther, Charmeleon and Skarmory fought valiantly, but Mark could see Charmeleon panting between his Flamethrowers.

Then he got stung.

While Charmeleon was catching his breath, one of the Scorplack swung its tail and hit the lizard?s leg. He went stiff, sent a powerful blast of flames at the Scorplack and kept fighting, but clearly sweating and growing weaker by every passing moment.

?**** you, stupid thing!?

Mark turned around to see May kick a Scorplack away. Her ankle was bleeding and had a slightly purple hue.

?You got stung?? he asked, his eyes wide.

?No, that?s ketchup and food coloring,? she replied icily.

Mark was distracted by Charmeleon letting out a weak ?Chaaar?? as he passed out. He recalled him, turning worriedly back to May as the moon and stars became their only light source. Maybe it was just the bluish-white light, but she seemed pale.

?I? I think? Skarmory could maybe carry us to Scorpio City? he knows Fly?? she said weakly.

Mark nodded, recalling Scyther, as Skarmory, who had heard that, landed. Both kids quickly jumped onto the bird?s steely back, and he took off. Mark breathed out a sigh of relief as they ascended, away from the Scorplack.

Then he discovered that May was unconscious.

-------

It wasn?t that long a flight to the borders of Scorpio City. Scorpio Valley was a big valley shaped oddly similar to a scorpion, and the city was located in the tail end. It was pretty small; calling it a city wasn?t really appropriate, but it was still called that because it had a Pok?mon Gym.

Skarmory was getting exhausted after flying this way with two human kids on his back, and once they reached the city, he let himself glide down into the street and collapsed. Mark shot a quick look at May; she was very pale and completely limp.

He took one of the Pok?balls on her necklace and recalled the fainted bird, left alone with an unconscious girl on a street in the middle of the night.

?Help!? he shouted into the darkness. ?Can somebody help me??

But nobody answered.

He looked desperately around; a deep purple-painted building stood nearby, with the letters GYM on the front of it. The street lamps lit up an empty main road; all the houses were quiet.

He turned back to May and was jumped when he saw a young man wearing a black cape kneeling down beside her, touching her forehead.

?Scorplack,? the man muttered and checked her pulse.

He looked quickly up at Mark, his shoulder-length silver hair flashing back.

?Where did you come from?? Mark asked, puzzled at his sudden appearance. The man ignored his question and instead introduced himself in a fast but very clear, soft voice:

?My name is Mitch; I am the leader of the official Pok?mon Gym of Scorpio City and an expert on poisons. Can you tell me how long has it been since she was stung??

?Maybe ten, fifteen minutes,? Mark answered. ?Why??

Mitch ignored his question again. ?How long did it take for her to pass out??

?Not long, one or two minutes at the most, why??

Mitch?s big, shiny, gray eyes observed him for a second; Mark got an uncomfortable feeling like he was being X-rayed.

?Then you should pray for her life.?

Mitch picked up the unconscious girl and ran swiftly towards the purple-colored building.

It took a bit of time for his last words to sink in, but then Mark hurried after him.

-------

He entered the Gym, panting. It split into three corridors; the left one had a sign on the wall saying TO THE BATTLE ARENA. The middle one ended in a door saying DO NOT ENTER. The right one led to another door, which was open. Mark carefully stepped through it.

The room he entered looked like an ordinary living room, with a few dark brown leather couches, a coffee table and a carpet with a navy and gold pattern on the floor. May was lying on the big sofa, but he didn?t see Mitch anywhere.

Speaking of the devil, Mark thought as the young man from earlier stepped through the door behind him, not seeming surprised to see Mark there. Mark was going to apologize for walking inside like that, but Mitch just walked up to May and injected something into her arm.

Then he sat down in another couch and offered Mark a seat beside him. Hesitating, Mark sat down.

?Scorplack?s poison is very interesting,? said Mitch out of the blue, not looking at Mark, but rather straight into the air. ?When it gets into your blood stream, it somehow slows down all cells it reaches. The longer it is in the body, the more everything slows down. Then finally, it all stops ? unless the person has gotten the antidote in time. The antidote slows down the effect of the poison, so the timing is everything. If the poison kills before the antidote has stopped it, the victim dies. If the antidote stops it too late, the victim will live, but never wake up. Otherwise, the victim will heal completely.?

?Is she going to die?? Mark asked quietly.

?Maybe,? said Mitch slowly, still looking into the air rather than into Mark?s eyes.

?How are the odds??

?Bad,? said Mitch simply. ?If she fainted in one or two minutes, it must have been a strong Scorplack. Ten or twenty percent, I guess.?

?That?s awfully little?? Mark said with a horrible knot in his stomach.

?Odds are meaningless,? said Mitch calmly. ?Imagine you?re holding a hundred-faced die. I walk up to you and say, ?Give me ten thousand Pok?dollars, throw the die and if you get hundred, I?ll pay you back a million?. You?d never take the offer. What are the odds you?ll get exactly hundred? It?s very unlikely that you?d be achieving anything except losing ten thousand Pok?dollars. And as we all know, it?s just as unlikely that you?ll get ninety-nine, or ninety-eight. In fact, the odds for each side are so small that you?d never bet on one of them. Still, you can somehow throw it, and be positive that as unlikely as it is, you will get one of them. We could repeat it with a die that has a thousand faces, or a million. What are the odds that a mass of carbon can stand up and walk of its own accord? Almost none, yet you see the proof that it happened all around you. Do not think about odds. Odds are an illusion.?

Mark had never thought about it that way. He couldn?t think of an answer, so he said nothing. Neither did Mitch; he just kept staring at nothing.

?Does it hurt to have that poison in your body?? Mark suddenly asked.

?Not really,? Mitch said, still like he was speaking to the air. ?It?s not comfortable, but doesn?t exactly hurt.?

?So, it?s a painless thing to die from??

Mitch smiled faintly. ?Those who know that are all dead, I?m afraid.?

?How do you know what having the poison in your body feels like, then?? Mark questioned.

Mitch nodded slowly. ?I was just a kid, having just gotten my starter, a Venonat. We went into the desert, I stayed there for a bit too long and ran into one Scorplack that was a bit early, didn?t know it was dangerous and therefore didn?t watch out. I got stung, I caught it, and I fainted while I was walking back to Scorpio City.?

?But you were alone, weren?t you?? asked Mark, puzzled. ?Who saved you??

Mitch took his time answering this question; he peered at the starlit sky out of a window in the ceiling for a while, still with that faint smile on his lips.

?Nobody,? he finally answered. ?I should be dead.?

Mark decided not to ask more about this.

?When will we know what will happen to her??

Mitch stood up. ?I left a sample of her blood in the research room. It should be ready now; wait here while I go to see the results. But you might find out before me. If she moves, she?s getting better. If she stops breathing, she?s dead.?

And he left Mark alone with May.

?Oh, please,? he muttered, ?not this! Why can?t I have a normal journey without a Gym Leader giving me Mew or a madman threatening to kill me or somebody dying or deranged Pok?mon or stupid nightmares??

?It must be your fate to have difficulties,? said a soft voice inside his head. He jerked his head upwards to find Mew floating there. The pink creature?s eyes were filled with sadness.

?Mew! Just who I needed! Can?t you heal her??

?No,? answered the Legendary Pok?mon. ?Scorplack?s affiliation with the element of darkness prevents psychic powers from affecting anything having to do with them.?

?But if she dies, you can just resurrect her, can?t you?? Mark questioned.

?She would merely die again, as the poison remains in her blood,? said Mew.

?Oh. Why are you following me?? Mark mumbled.

?I do not follow one person,? Mew said calmly. ?I come when I feel that I should.?

?Really?? asked Mark dully.

?And now I feel I should leave,? said Mew before disappearing in a flash of purple.

There was a reason for that feeling, at least; Mitch entered just a second later.

?Good news,? he said. ?She will most likely make it. She got the antidote in time. How do you know her, anyway??

?Eh, we ended up going through the desert together, goodness knows how? it was her idea,? he quickly added.

?You didn?t get stung at all?? Mitch questioned.

?No, my Pok?mon held them back??

He suddenly realized what he had forgotten. His face went pale.

?Charmeleon! He also got stung! Quick, give him some antidote??

Mark took out the Pok?ball and sent out his unconscious lizard on the floor. Mitch bent down and examined him, then injected some of the antidote into his arm.

?Will he be okay?? Mark asked worriedly.

?Pok?mon are stronger than many people give them credit for,? said Mitch with a smile. ?One sting from a Scorplack won?t kill any decent Pok?mon. Humans, however??

He trailed off, but then started again.

?Amazing, isn?t it? Pok?mon are superior to us, but we?re the ones who ?own? them. And there?s a reason for it. Pok?mon, while quite matching our intelligence, lack one thing. It is creativity. On their own, Pok?mon only use battling techniques passed down generation by generation. Taking two things we know and figuring out that we can make something new out of them, that is our specialty, and that is exactly what they can?t do. This is why they seek our company in the first place. We can teach them things that seem obvious to us, but their brains have never been built to understand. Even Alakazam, with an IQ of 5000, will battle far better with a human?s aid. We need each other??

For a moment Mitch seemed to be in deep thought. Then he absent-mindedly picked Charmeleon up and placed him on the coffee table.

?Well, now we just have to wait. Want a drink??

Last edited:

Triaspia

ooh shiney
    Years
  • great fic (this is my first review so i hope this gose well)
    so far i have noticed nothing wrong except you didnt say what kind of pokemon wild cat was (im guessing persion with long gangs or something) your introduction of new pokemon is amazing you make it sound like it was already a pokemon what do you have planed for mark and what was with garahdos (sorry dyslixic not good with spelling) when he saw suicoon

Dragonfree

Years
  • neomon said:
    great fic (this is my first review so i hope this gose well)
    so far i have noticed nothing wrong except you didnt say what kind of pokemon wild cat was (im guessing persion with long gangs or something) your introduction of new pokemon is amazing you make it sound like it was already a pokemon what do you have planed for mark and what was with garahdos (sorry dyslixic not good with spelling) when he saw suicoon
    Wild cat? You mean Fangcat, which is a made-up Pok?mon... just picture a female lion with a longer, furrier tail and two enormous, bloody fangs. As it said, they're commonly associated with horror movies.

Dragonfree

Years
  • Whee, chapter fourteen. I think you're going to love this one...

-------
    RATING

Violence: None

Gore: None

Sexuality: None

Profanity: Just a "bloody".

Other: Nothing special.
    -------

Chapter 14: Thief and Victim

Mark woke up feeling very refreshed. He scanned through his memory, but didn?t remember dreaming anything at all. Well, that was relieving. The ?nightmare phase? seemed to be over.

?Had a good rest??

He jerked his head upwards to find Mitch was still sitting in the couch. Mark looked sleepily out of the window; judging from the bright sunshine, he had fallen asleep sometime in the night, despite having had some coke to keep him awake. Charmeleon stood on the coffee table, seemingly healthy, and while May was lying motionless on the sofa, her chest was rising and falling as it should.

?Yeah, pretty good,? Mark said, stretching.

?Any? dreams?? asked Mitch, suddenly looking into Mark?s eyes. The question had to be a coincidence, but the way Mitch looked at Mark gave it some more of a meaning.

?No, not that I remember,? he mumbled, turning away.

?Good?? Mitch said softly, also turning to look out of the window. Nobody said anything for a long time. Then finally, May?s eyes opened.

She blinked a few times and sat up. ?What place is this?? she asked confusedly, looking around.

?You are in the Scorpio City Gym,? said Mitch. ?The poison in your bloodstream has been neutralized, and your body will handle cleaning it up.?

?Oh.? She paused, observing Mitch for a second. Then she turned to Mark.

?What happened after we flew away on Skarmory??

?Well,? Mark began, taking a deep breath, ?we flew over here, Skarmory crashed out of exhaustion, I recalled him for you and then Mitch, the Gym Leader, appeared out of nowhere and gave you a shot with some antidote.?

?Oh,? May replied. After a few seconds, she turned back to Mitch. ?Thanks.?

?It?s my job,? said Mitch and smiled that faint smile again.

?What time is it?? asked May, turning towards the window. Suddenly, she froze, and then pulled Mark?s sleeve.

?Quilava!? she hissed, before suddenly dashing out through the door. Mark shot an apologetic glance at Mitch and then followed her.

-------

Taylor held his Blaziken Pok?dex in his right hand, observing the Ouen map on the screen. Absent-mindedly, he sat down on a bench.

He had teleported to Scorpio City the day before and taken on the Gym Leader. His brother, Rick, had lent him the prototype Abratwo to get there. Taylor would have loved to keep it ? after all, it had been very impressive ? but Rick had always been obsessed with only giving him the best of the best. That was sometimes nice, but often irritating because Taylor wasn?t as much of a perfectionist as his brother. He just wanted something decent, and would rather not wait ages to get something absolutely flawless.

Then again, it didn?t matter now. He had just received the ultimate replacement.

Taylor broke into a grin as he plucked his three Pok?balls off his Pok?ball belt and placed them beside him. He picked up one of the two Clone Balls, looking at it. Clones were strong. His first clone, Pikatwo, contained in his other Clone Ball, had never lost a battle.

Taylor sighed, shooting a quick glance at the normal Pok?ball. He couldn?t help wondering if he should really have tricked that Quilava out of the girl. He had never even had the need to send it out. Which he was deep down thankful for, because he wasn?t sure Quilava would like him too much. After all, he had broken the Agreement by taking a Pok?mon from its trainer without consulting it first ? admittedly the girl hadn?t had anything against that either, but he didn?t want to risk getting scorched by Quilava?s Ember.

Ah, well, now he had two clones. Maybe he?d never have to send it out of its ball.

He smiled at the Clone Ball and attached it back to his belt, focusing on the Ouen map again.

-------

?What are you doing?? Mark yelled while trying to catch up with May.

?Rick?s brother!? she hissed. ?The guy with my Quilava! Taylor, you said he was called.?

?What about him?? asked Mark confusedly.

?I saw him, of course,? said May like it was the most obvious thing in the world. ?He sat down at that bench over there.?

She pointed. At the end of the street they were running along, a boy with long, red hair was sitting on a bench, bent over something in his hands.

?What are you going to do?? Mark asked, puzzled, as May crouched down behind some bushes near the sidewalk.

?I?m going to get Quilava back, of course.?

Mark watched in disbelief as she crawled towards the bench like a predator to its prey. Very slowly, she extended her hand, grabbed one of the Pok?balls beside the boy and then quickly withdrew it. Mark saw her crawling back towards him.

?Whoa,? he said blankly. ?You just went and stole it??

?It?s not stealing if she?s mine,? she said coldly.

?Well, technically,? Mark commented, ?you traded her away.?

?But he tricked me into it,? she argued. ?And Quilava never agreed.?

?You weren?t exactly thinking about that when you traded, were you??

May?s eyes flashed. ?She?s my Quilava! Professor Elm gave her to me! And I never agreed to trade her for some lousy level five lizard!?

Mark felt like he had just received an Ice Punch, but just glared at her and breathed very fast.

?Well, aren?t we going to battle Mitch?? May said, still in an angry voice. ?Don?t know about you, but I?m going to get myself some Antidotes in case my Pok?mon get poisoned.?

Mark reluctantly followed her as she started walking firmly towards the Pok?mon Market across the street.

-------

Taylor folded his Pok?dex back together and clipped it to his belt, looking to his side. He started when he saw only his two Clone Balls there. He picked them up and attached them to his belt as he examined the sidewalk to see if his Pok?ball was there. Seeing no traces of it, he looked up. Just a short distance away, he saw a familiar girl and a boy he had never seen before with her.

He didn?t know exactly what had happened, but immediately got a pretty good idea of it. He watched the two enter the Pok?mon Market, and an idea formed in his head.

He grabbed his new Pok?mon?s Clone Ball and smirked.

-------

Mark and May, after stocking up on things at the market, walked outside to be greeted by a well-known figure: one of the Officer Jennies. She wore a police uniform, had long, teal hair, and folded her arms strictly. Beside her, slightly behind, stood Taylor.

?This boy tells me you stole one of his Pok?balls,? she said accusingly.

May turned beet red. Then suddenly she roared ?THAT QUILAVA IS MINE!? as she jumped at Taylor in what was clearly an attempt to at least punch him if not bite him too. Officer Jenny grabbed her jacket and held her back.

?Quite the temper you?ve got,? she said shortly.

May tried to break loose, but Officer Jenny had a firm grip on her. She glared murderously at Taylor.

?Also,? the policewoman added thoughtfully, turning to Taylor, ?Quilava? Didn?t you say it was a Charmeleon??

?Yeah,? said Taylor, slightly nervously. Mark wondered why he hadn?t just said it was a Quilava; this way his story sounded a lot more suspicious.

?Come with me, guys,? said Officer Jenny, walking towards the police station next door and dragging Mark and May with her. Mark felt a strong burst of anger flare up in his heart; what had he done?

?I didn?t do anything!? he shouted.

?Congratulations, you?ve just used the oldest excuse known to mankind,? said the officer sarcastically as they entered.

Inside, it was rather dark. A desk with a lit lamp on it was on the other end of the room, covered in papers. Mark would?ve looked around better, but Officer Jenny pushed him inside. Then she picked up a small device from the desk.

?Your trainer license??

?Trainer license?? Mark was stunned ? of course he should know that a trainer had to get a trainer license. What had he been thinking when he set off? He had been training illegally for a while, and magically gotten away with it. One of the first thoughts that shot into his head was that the Pok?mon League?s trainer identification system had to be very flawed, since he hadn?t even been making an effort to hide it.

?I? I don?t have one,? he stammered.

?No license?? Jenny raised her eyebrows. ?Your eye, please,? she said to Mark. He stepped up to her and she held the tool she had picked up earlier up to his eye to scan his iris.

?Mmmh,? she said. ?Never done anything before, though? so apparently you didn?t get it removed? but that doesn?t change that you?re still training without a license. You?ll get away with a warning this time, but I suggest you go get a license before you get in more trouble ? provided, of course, that you did not steal the boy?s Pok?mon.?

Officer Jenny turned to May, who was holding forward a trainer card. ?Valid,? said Jenny after surveying it for a few seconds. ?May I have your eye, please??

May allowed her eye to be scanned too, although she clearly hated it. A loud beep was heard.

?You, on the other hand?? said Officer Jenny slowly, ?you?re on record.?

?Surprise,? May sneered sarcastically. Mark?s heart suddenly realized it had some catching up to do and started pumping like crazy.

?Hmm? ?assaulting a police officer?? ?refusing to cooperate with the police?? ?breaking and entering??? Officer Jenny read from the device. Mark felt sick.

The policewoman laid the tool back on the desk. ?When was that??

?You,? said May with disgust, ?you think a nine-year-old can?t have anything to say that you don?t know. You think that a nine-year-old?s accusations must be based on personal grudges. You think little girls with bad tempers can?t possibly be right. Something is stolen from a girl and she knows who did it, but you think her knowledge sounds too absurd and claim that the real thief will never be found. She goes on her own and takes again what is hers, and all you do is putting it on some bloody record as ?breaking and entering?.?

She jerked this all out very fast, and Mark didn?t really get the whole thing, but from how it looked, somebody had stolen something from May when she was nine, she knew who it was but the police didn?t believe her and just forgot about it, so she took matters into her own hands, broke in and stole what had been stolen from her again. The question was mainly whether the thing that had been ?stolen? from her had been about as ?stolen? as Quilava.

?Interesting,? said Officer Jenny simply. ?Tell me? did you steal the boy?s Charmeleon??

?No,? May spat.

?Well, we?ll see about that,? the policewoman said. ?Your Pok?mon, please.?

May handed her Pok?balls to Officer Jenny.

?You too,? Jenny insisted, turning to Mark. He gave his Pok?balls to her too. She took a Pok?dex from her belt and scanned all the Pok?balls, picking out two of them afterwards.

?Okay, this one contains a Quilava and this one contains a Charmeleon. Which of them was stolen??

?Charmeleon,? Taylor said firmly.

May opened her mouth, but Officer Jenny stopped her before she said anything.

?Of course, to make sure we?re not making a terrible mistake here, we?ll do a check of original trainers and ID numbers on them both.?

Mark suddenly realized what Taylor was up to saying that Charmeleon had been stolen ? while a simple ID check on Quilava would prove her as May?s, Charmeleon had originally been given to Taylor and never been registered as traded. Unofficial trades were essentially illegal, partly because that way there was no way to prove the change of trainers, as the trade would never be on official records.

?No!? he blurted out.

?No? Why not? You obviously have something to hide,? said Officer Jenny suspiciously. She pressed a button on the Pok?dex.

?Quilava is registered to you, it seems,? said Officer Jenny to May, giving her the Pok?balls back. ?But Charmeleon?? Jenny scanned the Pok?ball and read off the Pok?dex.

?It?s registered to the boy who reported the theft, Taylor.?

Mark looked at May. She was staring expressionlessly at him, and clearly understood who Charmeleon was now.

Officer Jenny put Charmeleon?s Pok?ball on the desk.

-------

?You can have it in a minute,? Jenny said to Taylor. ?But first, I need to record that??

Taylor couldn?t help feeling slightly guilty as she said that. If he was getting that Charmeleon, which the boy had thankfully evolved, however he originally got it, he didn?t want to get him into any trouble, because the boy certainly hadn?t done anything to him.

But luckily, he was prepared for that.

Speed her up a little bit, he thought, looking out of the window where his new Pok?mon was waiting for orders, Mewtwo?.

-------

Suddenly, Officer Jenny stopped in her tracks. Her eyes went all funny, reminding Mark somewhat of (he shivered a bit) Rick?s Legendary clones.

?Here,? she said, taking the Pok?ball off the table. Mark stared miserably at it as she handed it to Taylor.

?Please,? he pleaded, ?you?re making a mistake! That boy, Taylor, he??

But Jenny ignored him completely. She then almost mechanically shoved Mark and May outside, closing the door. There was nothing more he could do.

They walked silently back towards the Gym. May had taken a funny interest in her fingernails as she held them close to her face and examined them. Mark just felt horrible.

?Taylor has Charmeleon,? he muttered miserably, not exactly expecting an answer.

?No,? said May after a moment of silence. ?He has Quilava. I switched the Pok?balls on the desk.? She opened her palm to reveal a minimized Pok?ball she appeared to have been clutching since she took it.

?You going to take him back or something?? Mark said in a horribly shaky voice.

?No,? she answered, handing the Pok?ball to him while staring in the other direction. ?I? threw him away? he?s not mine??

Mark took the Pok?ball, covered in sweat from May?s hand, and attached it back to his own belt. He knew both of them were thinking about the same thing: Officer Jenny?s eyes.

FireEmporer

I win. You lose.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 3, 2006
    ...That Was SoOOOOoo Cool... Really! I Love This Fic! But What Does The Version ILCOE Mean?

Back