• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Reboot Trend

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Within the last few years, many old and beloved series are being rebooted. Recent examples include Fuller House, Roseanne, Will & Grace, etc. Not only television programs are rebooted, but beloved movies are as well including Charlie's Angels.

What do you think of the recent reboot trend? Do you like seeing shows being rebooted? Or do you think people are running out of original ideas these days?

Bonus: What shows/movies would you love to see rebooted in the future?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Reboots suck most of the time. Raimi Spider-Man, nostalgia or not, is hundreds of thousands of times better than the Brock known as TASM. Homecoming is a good Marvel movie but not a strong stand alone Spider-Man film. Reboots are lazy and are done only because they can't come up with new stories and ideas, plus the $$$.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Reboots suggest a lack of ideas but I think Mel Brooks said it best with Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money. It's not only a lack of ideas but Hollywood's underlying existence is on whether it can make money. Old titles give a sense of familiarity while giving the opportunity to milk more $$$ without having to invest time and cash in developing something original. That's why there's going to be a Toy Story 4(despite 3 doing such a nice job if they ended it right there), How to Train Your Dragon 3(they claim it's the last one), Wreck it Ralph 2 and so on.

What annoys me about Star Wars is that there are numerous books written on the various characters and events post Jedi and did they ever bother to consider adapting one for the big screen? I mean Thrawn is a better villain than the chest pounding Jedi they created and the books gave Han and Leia three kids, including a bad ass Daughter. TLDR: Time is money as they say and reboots are more cost effective than developing original content.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Yeah and milking shows or movies is how they eventually turn in to garbage. The creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog was smart enough to end the show after season 4 because he knew going further would ruin it.

The only reboot I can recall right now that was good is the 2013 Evil Dead reboot. It did things its own way and didn't try to overshadow the original.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Does the Disney reboot trend count? Because I'm pretty fond of those tbh. They are usually quite hit or miss, but I dunno, I just really like seeing these old, childhood tales retold in such different atmospheres and medium.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Does the Disney reboot trend count? Because I'm pretty fond of those tbh. They are usually quite hit or miss, but I dunno, I just really like seeing these old, childhood tales retold in such different atmospheres and medium.

You referring to Jungle Book, Mowgli and other live action/CGI films based on the animated classics? Latest one in theatres right now is Christopher Robbin with Mowgli slated later this year. Dumbo and Aladdin are in the works as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday

Sure. I have really enjoyed them as well, especially The Jungle Book. I cannot wait until The Lion King comes out in 2019, as it is my favorite Disney film!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
You referring to Jungle Book, Mowgli and other live action/CGI films based on the animated classics? Latest one in theatres right now is Christopher Robbin with Mowgli slated later this year. Dumbo and Aladdin are in the works as well.
Yup! I'm really excited for most of those, I'm not too sure about Christopher Robin from what I'e seen of the trailers, but I'm pretty hyped for the others. I know Mulan is in the works as well, which I was originally excited for but last I heard of it they are replacing Li Shang with a different character and people are not happy with that, so we'll see how that one goes.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I wasn?t fond of Disney?s ?reboot? of 101 Dalmatians but that might have to do with the fact there was no CGI involved and real animals(hence limitations on what they could do. Loved the dogs though), but Disney?s live action rendition of Jungle Book was well done(I have a Baloo stuffed animal from Disneyland when I went for GradNight so it?s one of my favorite movies). I?ll reserve judgment on the other films and whether they?ll keep true to the classic films(like the Black Crows in Dumbo) or sanitize it to not offend SJW?s. Li Shang in Mulan getting replaced was news to me and I?m curious as to the reason why.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I'm all for reboots, honestly. Modernizing classics for new audiences is really endearing to me. As for what series I'd like to see rebooted... Back to the Future (this is a joke) Codename Kids Next Door would be an interesting thing to see rebooted, but I don't think we'll get that...

Back