• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~The River~ Jeff

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
  • Intro
    Hey everyone,

It's been nearly a year since I last came here, but I wanted to say I'm back into game development and ready to start again. I am working on Pokemon Light with Arkyane at the moment and am hoping to bring it back again. Here's my sideproject I've been working on during the past few months called The River. It is a scientific/fantasy sort of gamein RPG style, so it's basically different from what I'm used to creating.

~The River~
    Made with RPG Maker XP (RMXP)

STORY
    The Earth is decaying. Years into the future, technology has finally tore the Earth apart, staining the atmosphere with harmful chemicals, causing an uprise in global warming, and creating severe droughts, hurricanes, and storms.

It is then that creatures of distant planets find and discover the nearly-dead Earth, and decide to use what was left of it for their own good. However, this was not the case. These creatures, instead, tried to take over the Earth. Just as Earth started to fall, 5 soldiers volunteered to use the remaining technology to get rid of these creatures. From then on, these 5 normal soldiers became legend...

Just a few years later, unexpectedly, the western hemisphere had collapsed from heavy storms and hurricanes. Unexpectedly as well, the creatures that once came to capture Earth snuck onto the planet once more... except, they had a plan this time. This plan was to take over the already dead western hemisphere and expand there way to the east.

With only the Eastern Hemisphere left to save the Earth, the citizens have to unite together in order to defeat these creatures and call upon the 5 legendary soldiers to help save the Earth from destruction...

(The 'River' is going to be the important key to purify the Earth, and travel on between the East and West)

FEATURES
    * RMXP Tilesets (XD not really a feature, but decided to use it)
    * Travel between countries and purify the land
    * A Custom Battle System
    - Involving up to 5 in a team
    - Army batties between the citizens and the creatures
    * Subquests
    * Recruit members into an army and switch members of your party with any other member you like
    * 'Aiming' for some 10 hour gameplay if all goes well
    * Fly, Teleport, and Sail from city to city
    * Full storyline, with subquest storylines as well
    * Interactive World Map based on creature and citizen progress

- More to come along the way.. -

SCREENS
    ~The River~ Jeff
    ~The River~ Jeff

~The River~ Jeff

TEAM
    Well, sadly, I'm the only one working on The River by myself at the moment. If anyone would like to help on this project, you can PM me/Email me. :) Btw, if anyone wants to help on my other project, Pokemon Light, you can help me and Arkayne as well. Thanks!

========================
    I am hoping to make this game a success, as I have learned a lot from Pokemon Light and hoping to use the knowledge in The River. Thanks everyone!

~Jeff

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2006
    sounds interesting. very different from pokemon light. lol. so tell me, are you a citizen or what? cuz that confused me.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments (nice to see you again Renagadez and DarkDoom :) ).

@ pokemaster_jay: You start out a citizen that has his own story to follow which later leads up to the main story
    ---

I thought since most people here create pokemon games, I'm thinking of creating a CBS system based on pokemon, since I still remember my coding of what to do. Anyways I'll update soon and Pokemon Light if I get the chance (seeing it's been locked after many months).

Thanks,
    Jeff

Sion

Somber Soul
    Years
  • At the moment it seems pretty basic.. I'd suggest working on your mapping with the rtp.
    Hehe, its a little different than with pokemon. If you're planning on a side view typed battle system, I would have reccomended rpgm2k3. That and the rtp isnt icky.. But I'll get over it, anyways nice to see you around again. And good luck.

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
  • I like it, it may be using RMXP RTP, which I don't like much, but I think you use it quite well. The story seems pretty good too, if you need any systems coding or anything, you can always ask me.
    Good luck. ;)

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
    Years
  • @ Sion and Datriot

Yeah, I agree. Didn't like the the tilesets as well. Not sure about using custom tilesets at the moment, but I'll see.

Jeff

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 27, 2014
    Looking forward to seeing more. GL on this project... and make sure to back it up regularly. ;)

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Pokemon ligh was very good,
    Hope this can beat it!!!

I think stick witht he RTP, they might be RTP, but theyre good,
    i mean look at the trees, they looks awesome,

Keep it up jeff!

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments. :)

Here's 4 more screens:

Sorry about the dark image.. supposed to be like that as you see here.. the creature flying down in the intro..
    ~The River~ Jeff

XD The guy's eyes aren't shut, so I may have to animate that. Again, part of the intro
    ~The River~ Jeff

Screen 1 of the location where you start out in, in the woods. This map was actually started way back during Light, and so I decided to build on it.
    ~The River~ Jeff

Screen 2 of the woods/home.
    ~The River~ Jeff

Thanks,
    ~Jeff

DarkDoom3000

Years
  • Wow awesome screenies, the flying creature looks like a pokemon...

the maps look cool
    and the birds and wild animals give u a natural feel about the maPs!!

the trees that are together look kinda strange
    but besides that its great

keep it up!

Illusion Gaming

RMXP Pro
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 10, 2007
    ok this is what I hate about the screenshots:
    1. the trees just have them normal without the tree tops because its not getting used right.
    2. in the screenhot where you start out in, in the woods, the house isn't good.

well thats all. well fix those and it'll be a lot better :). oh and if you want to know how to use the tree tops the right way pm me and i'll show you a screenshot of a forest from my game.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments.

@ Illusion Gaming: Yeah, that'll be great for the tree screens. For the house, I'll see. The tileset wouldn't allow me to adjust the size as the color variation of the house would look weird.

~Jeff

DarkDoom3000

Years
  • i hate rpgmxp.i prefer Game maker 6.1. But you doing a good job on this keep it up.
    diffrent people have diffrent tastes,
    Game maker, its hard to make stuff, but its flexable...very flexable..
    Rpgmaker- easy to make rpg's, and stuff not as flexable as game maker

I personally DONT LIKE gamemaker for making rpg's
    i use rpgmaker2003

nice screenies jeff!

Back